Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tikka t3 lite 300 wm

Default tikka t3 lite 300 wm

I was thinking about picking up a tikka t3 lite 300 wm but the barrel seams very thin? I have the varmit 22-250 t3 and it is awesome. i'm just concerned how thin the barell is? Anyone got any input?

I like my 270wsm and just figure the thinner barrel is part of the "lite" in the name. i take my time at the range and honestly as long as it shoots great from a cold barrel and consistent on 2 quick follow up shots with no real flyers then it will be a fine hunting rifle. Now if you want a bench shooter then i would look at a heavier barreled rifle. My cuz has a 308 varmint rifle with a heavy barrel and he carries it for moose but there isn't a time when we have been in a fun store where he didn't comment that he needs a lighter rifle!

I didn't think of it that way, yeah this won't be a bench gun but strickly hunting.

What LuJon said...but of course that lite gun in that cartridge will kick some.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I like my 270wsm and just figure the thinner barrel is part of the "lite" in the name. i take my time at the range and honestly as long as it shoots great from a cold barrel and consistent on 2 quick follow up shots with no real flyers then it will be a fine hunting rifle. Now if you want a bench shooter then i would look at a heavier barreled rifle. My cuz has a 308 varmint rifle with a heavy barrel and he carries it for moose but there isn't a time when we have been in a fun store where he didn't comment that he needs a lighter rifle!
    fun store...what an idiot I guess a gun store is a fun store for some of us... as to the recoil comment there are plenty of people hammering away with the stock "hockey puck" recoil pad that comes on the Tikka's but Limbsaver makes a direct bolt on recoil pad that fits nicely and only requires removing the 2 philips head screws from the original pad and using them to secure the new pad. It makes the rifle quite a bit more forgiving and will set you back about $30 and under 10 minutes to install.

I know where there is a pretty much brand new T3 Stainless in 300WM for 695 Can.
    IMO, don't get this rifle in a magnum cal. Its just too light. That 20WSM is pretty much the largest I would go. I just sold my T3 in &mmRM. Just too unpleasant to put many rounds through. Nice rifle, light, pretty good value, but even the 30-06 kicks hard in this. It would be great in .270win.
    I was out shooting a 375 H&H in an pre-64 win. model 70, and it was more pleasant to shoot than my T3.
    My $.02.
    Cheers
    Paul

that is good info to know. My remington in 300wm kicks like a raped ape, so if it would be worse that that, forget it. My 375H&H kicks less. Any one else?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    I know where there is a pretty much brand new T3 Stainless in 300WM for 695 Can.
    IMO, don't get this rifle in a magnum cal. Its just too light. That 20WSM is pretty much the largest I would go. I just sold my T3 in &mmRM. Just too unpleasant to put many rounds through. Nice rifle, light, pretty good value, but even the 30-06 kicks hard in this. It would be great in .270win.
    I was out shooting a 375 H&H in an pre-64 win. model 70, and it was more pleasant to shoot than my T3.
    My $.02.
    Cheers
    Paul
    I'm guessing that you didn't put a recoil pad on it. I ran a box and a half off at the range after I sited my 300 WM in. Sure my shoulder was a little sore after 30 rnds (the other 10 were used to get it sighted in for +1" at 200 yrds). But I was also shooting them all from off hand, sitting, and prone positions, not from a bench. Cause after I sighted it in whats the point of the bench with a hunting gun anyways??? Overall I am extremely impressed with it.

how does it shoot past 200 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by sweet03cobra View Post
    I got the thread dredge running and churned up all the lod threads that cover the Tikka's. Grab a beer cause you got some reading to do, aparently this is apopular rifle
    Check it out here Reading this forum is what sold me on getting one!

Can't really comment as I was practicing 100-200 yrds the whole time to get used to the rifle. Next time I go to the range I'll go out to 300 yrds and let ya know.

I shoot the 300wsm and love it. The ballistics are not all that differant from the wm. I'm hitting milk jugs out to 300 yards with no problem. I also put limb saver on and it doesn't kick any harder than my 30-06. I'd go with the 300wsm.

everyone is telling me that the short mag and ultra mag are going away and for a long tern gun, the win mag is the way to go. What really is the difference any how. I dont' know too much about rifles so put it in dumb talk for me please. thanks

everyone is telling me that the short mag and ultra mag are going away and for a long tern gun, the win mag is the way to go. What really is the difference any how. I dont' know too much about rifles so put it in dumb talk for me please. thanks
    I was going to get the WSM until I hard the differences. If you are spefically getting the Tikka, which is what I got due to economics, then here is how I made my descion.

The tikka T3 uses the same action for both the WSM and WM. Therefore the weight savings isn't there. WM ammo is much easier to find and in most cases cheaper as well. Given that ballistically speaking they are identical then its kind of a no brainer to go with the WM IMO. But people like the WSM and I would too if there was an advantage such as weight savings which there would be if say going the Kimber route, but with a Tikka you might was well go WM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I was going to get the WSM until I hard the differences. If you are spefically getting the Tikka, which is what I got due to economics, then here is how I made my descion.

The tikka T3 uses the same action for both the WSM and WM. Therefore the weight savings isn't there. WM ammo is much easier to find and in most cases cheaper as well. Given that ballistically speaking they are identical then its kind of a no brainer to go with the WM IMO. But people like the WSM and I would too if there was an advantage such as weight savings which there would be if say going the Kimber route, but with a Tikka you might was well go WM.
    Thats good logic IMO Lanche, the 300WSM shines in specific rifles, but when both rifles are identical, especially in weight, I see no advatage to the WSM. I had a 300WM Tikka, sold it another fellow forum member. It shot lights out , seriously...it was incredibly accurate. But I will agree that it was no fun to shoot. I could shoot way more rounds through my Ruger 338WM at the range than I could with the 300WM Tikka. Its lightweight characteristics combined with the tupperware stock made recoil highly notable. And the Limbsaver pad I put on it only cushioned the turbulence a hair IMO. Dont worry about the barrel its not that thin for a lightweight.

that is good info to know. My remington in 300wm kicks like a raped ape, so if it would be worse that that, forget it. My 375H&H kicks less. Any one else?

Maybe you should go with the Tikka Hunter, I think about 1 lb. heavier. I'm sure some of that weight is in the barrel.

o.k. This is some good info, now do they make a tikka hunter with stainless and syn? Would it kick less and be more accurate? If not a tikka, what do you all recommend? I can pick up the tikka locally hear for $550 out the door. Weight is semi important but not a deal breaker. I want sick accuracy. Not a bench gun either, a all around bad ass accurate gun.

If you wanna keep it in the same price range and not concerned about weight. Then just get a Ruger M77 Mark II. Tough, accurate, and great value. Honestly I'd find a .300 WM in a few makes and models and compare the feel and recoil to compare if the recoil so certain models is too much to keep you from buying that brand/model. If you live in the Anch/Valley area maybe we could setup a time and you can run a few rounds through my Tikka 300 WM.

Man that would be awesome, I do live in anchorage, actually on the base. I currently have a rem 300wm but I can't seem to get a good shot group with it. I was using remington express corelok ammo/180 grain, maybe that is my problem.

Alaskacub and Alaska Launch, this could all be argued, but that is the differance between the 300wsm and the 300wm. The 300wsm does not have the kick the WM does, that's why I chose the WSM. Yes the rounds might be cheaper and more available in the WM, I just spent $50 on a box of shells for my WSM. I'm sure there are more differances but its like comparing golden delicious apples with granny smith apple, both apples just a little differant. I'm sure what ever rifle you choose, it will be the right one, Tikka makes great rifles for a great price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast