Thread: Haul road gas

Default Haul road gas

Folks, I'm hoping some of you can throw some good ideas my way.... I am heading up to Happy Valley for a fly out hunt with my daughter... needless to say I am concerned about gas cost up and back (hunt was booked before big gas run up).

I am thinking of ways to haul my gas with me in my truck so I don't have to fuel up in Fairbanks and Coldfoot. I figure I'll need to haul roughly 85 gallons of gas. I have a 20 gallon marine tank but am looking for the additional storage capacity... any thoughts on a decent way to haul it?? It also needs to be less expensive than the gas cost difference (about $240).

thanks ya'll...

Greg

55 gallon drum ?
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Gas prices between Fairbanks and Anchorage will be fairly similar, so I would only worry about hauling gas for the Happy Valley to Fairbanks leg. It is ~420 miles to Happy Valley, so I'd imagine you could almost make it there on a tank of gas if you are getting 14mpg (30 gallons). Now you only have to worry about the trip back to Fairbanks, so another 30 gallons will cover it.

I'd bring your 20 gallon float tank and pick up 4 more 5 gallon jugs. Dump every last bit you can in your truck when you get to Happy Valley and hope the rest is there when you come back from your trip. I think the gas at the Yukon River is less expensive than Coldfoot, so take that into consideration if you are running low when you are headed south.

For hauling gas I use 33 gallon heavy duty drums that you can get for free from car washes. They get there soap in them. I've been doing it for several months now with no problems. I'm heading out to my Sons house tomorrow to rinse out a couple more it works so well. I use a siphon hose that has the little ball in one end so you just pump up and down with the hose to get it going. I'm going to have to get a hand pump for filling my boat.

Like jerod said the gas prices here in Fairbanks are comparable to Anchorage. You'll have hill top and the yukon bridge out of town and then coldfoot. If your way to low at happy valley you'll need to head to deadhorse to refuel. I have friends that carry enough for a tank and a half, then we leave with a full tank and you should have enough to get to the airstrip there and then refill. The half a tank is just a buffer, but to be safe you could always throw a few gallons in at cold foot and keep the cost. Good luck!

Default Fueling

It really aint worth that much work to save about 40 dollars. If you fill up in fairbanks and a fiver(5 gallon can) or two, then fill up in coldfoot on the way in and out ,will be good to go. Did it last last year and only filled up one tank on my ford for the return from coldfoot to fairbanks. Never touched my gas cans.

Terry

I frequently travel to Fairbanks to visit my son and his family, mostly the grand babies, ha!! Gas is cheaper in Fairbanks than it is here in the valley, if I use my Fred Meyer card.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

The cheapest gas here in Fbks right now is $4.49 at Freds and Safeway, Freds isn't giving out the .10 discount anymore but I think Safeway is.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    The cheapest gas here in Fbks right now is $4.49 at Freds and Safeway, Freds isn't giving out the .10 discount anymore but I think Safeway is.
    ???? I just got a discount at Freds today.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It really aint worth that much work to save about 40 dollars. If you fill up in fairbanks and a fiver(5 gallon can) or two, then fill up in coldfoot on the way in and out ,will be good to go. Did it last last year and only filled up one tank on my ford for the return from coldfoot to fairbanks. Never touched my gas cans.

Terry
    I agree. Suck up the extra change per gallon where you need it and forget the headache. Buying 4-5 5 gallon gas containers is going to cost ~40 bucks anyways, and if gas is a buck to 1.50 more expensive than where you'll be getting it, then you're only saving 40-80 bucks anyways (on 85 gallons). Couple that with the substandard fuel economy hauling more than 400 pounds of gas with you......yeah just buy it where you need it.

I used my Fred Meyer card tonight and got 10 cents off tonight as well.

Tried it both ways for several years finally came to reality, it is alot easier to just fill up at Coldfoot and eat the extra price, bring a couple 5 gallons as Emergency gas and don't worry pay the extra $30 difference and fill up. Fill up outside of Fairbanks at Hilltop then top it off at Cold Foot, gas at the Yukon is sometimes questionable? Been there several times when the pump wasn't operational..

Quote Originally Posted by cool_husker View Post
    I used my Fred Meyer card tonight and got 10 cents off tonight as well.

One of the guys at work said something about them changing the fuel rewards, from 100 points to something else in July. Could be my misunderstanding.

get a buddy to go with your a share the bill for gas.