Thread: Need Some Input

Default Need Some Input

I have a about $550 to spend on a spotting scope and looking for a good scope in this price range that is water proof, fog proof, and fairly light weight. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks

I just found this Nikon spotting scope online. What do you guys think? Anyone have any experience with Nikon spotting scopes, this one in particular?

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4136

Default scopes

On the site you linked is a black one identical to the camo but it is $50 cheaper.
    Also, I hear the Leupold gold rings are nice. Below is a link to Cabela's.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...762&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Pentax??

While I personally have no experience with the Pentax PF-65ED Spotting Scope I've heard nothing but great things about them for the money. Here is just the body for $410. And you can get the zoom eyepiece here for $220. I realize this puts you over your limit of $550 by $80, but might be worth looking at.

Thumbs up Pentax spotting scope

I bought one of Cameraland Doug's Pentax PF65EDII demos he had on Ebay ... for under $600, with the 20X60 Zoom eyepiece. Very nice scope at a very good price. Do a search on this board for Pentax spotting scopes and you will find quite a lot of excellent info on this scope, much of it posted by our moderator Snyd. This info clued me into the exceptional optics value to be had with the Pentax's 65mm spotters. I like mine a great deal. I've set it up with Pentax's digiscoping bracket and a digital camera. I've taken some good test pictures, but need to hone my digiscoping skills. But first it's time for hunting season.

Sierra TRading Post at times has Zeiss spotting scopes; that is where I got mine for about 1/3 retail. J.

I have a nikon spotter and nikon binoculars. They are great. They are very high quality in my opinion and much cheaper than the really high end stuff. I have seen demos of the small fieldscope (I think it is a 50mm) for about $500. This scope weighs about 1 pound, so you have your lightweight, nikon has a great warranty, but I haven't had to use that yet, so I can't say for sure how well they live up to it.

This would be very hard to beat!

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/p...pl?page=pf65ed

And its from Doug (Cameraland) who sponsors this website as well as many others. His banner is at the top of the page.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, i went ahead and bought the Nikon 16x48x60 XLII Black for $449. It should be here in 2 days and I am going to put it to the test on opening day for sheep.

You will not be the first to use that scope in the quest for sheep. I think it is hard to beat in that price range. good luck!