Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eklutna tailrace

Default Eklutna tailrace

Any silvers ther yet?

I am planning on going down in the morning.

I want to go down at 5 am but I usually dont get out of bed until 10 or 11waiting for my pain meds to work. So I will see.

Thing is I have about 20 pounds of cured eggs to give away that is taking up room where fish should go.

So tomorrow keep a look out for me giving away some eggs in the morning if you need some eggs. I like to fish between the mouth and the bridge on the parking lot side. I will have some (rowdy)kids with me.

Leave a message here and I will save some eggs for anyone who wants to meet at the tailrace tomorrow morning.

I hate to see eggs go to waste, so I'll be there...
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

Today was interesting. Started out there was only about 8 people down there. I got there about 5:30. Had a couple bites from silvers and hooked into a King that took me into the Knik and broke me off on the pilings.

The King made one run to the corner which I turned and brought the fish back up without walking down. Then the King did a second run down and made the turn and ran past the cleaning table and towards the shore and ran my line into the pilings. I think my line just cut into the old wood then gets stuck. I have seen this happen on snags at the Little Su where the line doesnt even get tangled around it just cuts into the wood until it is stuck.

I saw about 8 silvers caught in 6 hours and one king caught that was just under 20 pounds or so it wasnt too red either.

I am going to take a wild guess and say my king must have been 30+ anyways it was fun.

I also met some cool people while giving away the salmon eggs.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Thanks for the report. I think I'm going to head that way tonight and give it a try.

Default Eklutna

Any news about kings and silvers at the trailrace? I was planning on going up there tommorow night.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Gabby showed me what Silvers look like today. We used bobber and eggs after watching another genleman catch his limit using bobber and eggs. I would cast and Gabby would fish the drift and reel in for another cast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You know....she is gonna want a boat for her 10th birthday if you keep this up!

Default Any Pinks at the Tailrace?

We're thinking of trying Eklutna, but were also interested in finding a few Pinks for my Mom to catch. The last time I saw her catch a fish, it was with a cane pole. She got so excited, she yanked that poor fish out of the water, flung him slam on the ground behind her in one swooosh. Dead.

Have you seen Pinks at the tail race? Maybe Humpies would bite better on a spinner, I s'pose?

I personally have never seen any pinks there. If you want to get some pinks, hit up the parks highway streams, or bird creek. Both will be packed with pinks. If you want the ultimate pink fishing, head down to hope.

Have fun.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Pinks -

Thanks for the help.

If you give a spinner a try at Eklutna you may get a silver or two. Best bet is to go as early as you can in the morning. If you can go on a weekday that will be much less crowded.

This morning I picked up a Silver on eggs and saw a couple come out on spinners.

I went today and caught two silvers. I used a sliding float, a weight, and some fire cured eggs. I was there about 3 hours and a few people were catching, the lure guys and gals were not doing so well. The fly rod folks were doing pretty well. It wasn't that busy for a weekend day.

Default Stopped by Eklutna this morning Early

There were three people fishing and three cars in the parking lot. I did see a lot of jumping salmon though. The fish are running real strong in the knik drainage right now. Reds and Silvers

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I went today and caught two silvers. I used a sliding float, a weight, and some fire cured eggs. I was there about 3 hours and a few people were catching, the lure guys and gals were not doing so well. The fly rod folks were doing pretty well. It wasn't that busy for a weekend day.
    T.R.,

Dumb question: were the fly rod guys using flies or floating eggs/shrimp? I have seen both, just wondering. I bought a fly rod this weekend and had a blast. If you see a big guy hooking himself more than fish, come up and say Hi to me.

Default Guess who?

Here is some from this morning. Two reds and two silvers. Gabby reeled them all in. One was hers and three were mine.

A nice gentleman with a fly rod let Gabby reel one of his in also.

Fishing died at around 10AM but there were a few caught before then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Here is some from this morning. Two reds and two silvers. Gabby reeled them all in. One was hers and three were mine.

Hey Milller, looks like you need to mow the lawn. Me thinks you have been fishing waaay to much he he

For a couple hours fishing I have to rest for a day or two.

Sugery is scheduled for Aug 13 so I have my fingers crossed. I have been trying to get my kids out as much as I can because I wont be doing anything for awhile after the 13th.

Default Did you line the reds?

Did you line the reds? Assume eggs/bobber for the silvers?

Hope you recover nicely from whatever ails you.

No lining they chowed the eggs same as the silvers. My niece caught a red also that I could barely reach the hook in its throat. I have caught quite a few reds there on eggs before so it is no surprise to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    For a couple hours fishing I have to rest for a day or two.

Sugery is scheduled for Aug 13 so I have my fingers crossed. I have been trying to get my kids out as much as I can because I wont be doing anything for awhile after the 13th.

Hope all goes well the 13th. Give me a shout the day before you decide to go back out. Jordan and I will meet you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast