Thread: Chitna on Wed and Thurs

Default Chitna on Wed and Thurs

River high. Very, very few fish.

Of the folks we talked to.....
    one chartered group fished for 15 hours with 3-4 nets in the water the whole time on the far shore in one of the big eddies that fish are going to be resting in no matter what the water level is and the number of fish are doing... they caught 39

another group in a good hole accessed via atv ... two guys caught 15 fish in about 20 hours of fishing

4 guys, 3 days of fishing caught 50

2 guys 10 hours of fishing caught 6

1 guy 7 hours and 1 fish

and that was the good fishing, several people we talked to got there when lots of groups were getting their limits on Monday and Tuesday, with some sporadic success on Wednesday

We got there early Wed evening fished until midnight no fish no bumps. We were fourth in line for the charter at 4:30 am and talked to about half dozen people coming back on atvs from fishing all night with a grand total of 18 fish. So we opted to save our charter fee and pulled our stuff out of line and headed down the road and fish for 8 hours straight with no fish and no bumps again. We quit and talked to more people. Lots of people skunked in 10-12 hours of fishing, a few with 2 fish and few with 4-6 fish. It was starting to rain so we left. The charter line was already at least 30 groups long on Thursday afternoon and we counted about 70 rigs with dipnets between there and Fairbanks. If it keeps rainging there will be lots of grumpy, wet and fishless people down there. Don't go this weekend it is going to be a cluster. Wait until the river drops again and for the fish to show up. I have been there and limited in 4 hours and also been there and fished for 20 hours for 18 fish. I am still happy. I might try next week, in fact, if the fish start coming and the river drops. It is called fishin' not gittin' and there will probably be a few sour folks after this weekend . I check this site, the sonar site, hems hotline and the state hotline. There have been very few reports from Chitna this year. I just registered, so this is the first time I have posted on this site. There is a big slug of fish somewhere in the river, it just wasn't in the canyon when I was there.

Default Tues night/Wed morning

Got dropped off by Mark around 7:30 p.m. tues. and got one in the first 10 min. The second and third did not come for 3 more hours. Fished for another 3 hours without anything. Decided to kick back for a while and take a nap. Started fishing again around 4:30 and got one the second I put the net in. Fishing picked up and got 22 more and 1 King in the next 3 hours. Fished for another 3 hours without a bump so decided to call it a day. The other guys dropped off that night I talked to had similar results. Had to def. Work for it! LOTS of people heading down there.

odd...we fished Wed, 171 fish in 9 hours in the canyon..2 kings...there were 53 reds in the net in the picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Rough Thr

Four of us were dropped off by Mark's about 6:30 am, after 8 hours and only two fish, we called it a day. Water was way up and a constant drizzle made the rocks slippery. Most everyone we talked to were not having much luck either. Lots of people in line waiting, hope they did better later in the day.

Sat or Sun report anybody?

Default Few fish

Couple friends went down wednesday and fished until noon today, ten total fish. They rode the wheelers in and walked down. Don't know what is up.

Used atv's Fri.& Sat....... Got back yesterday with 2 fish, was quite slow but the fish have to be coming through soon.

Saturday 7-19: 4 nets in the water in a boat drifting - 140 reds and a king in 12 hours.

Default chitna

was down there thur even fished for bout 5hrs 1 fish. Friday morn from bout 8-12 1 fish then found a good hole and gob bout 50 fish in around 6hrs. used atv's to get back there

Got down there Sunday eve, fished for about an hour, 1 fish. Fished Monday from 7-3 got 20 fish with most of those in the first couple of hours then tapered off to near nothing the rest of the day. The fish were nice size and bright. The water was lower than I've seen it so the holes weren't the same.