Thread: NO CHARTER in chitina this weekend?

Exclamation NO CHARTER in chitina this weekend?

Hem's hotline is asking people leaving town wanting to catch the charter to turn around...he says the line of people there already is more than they can move on saturday.

crazy - and the fishing is still slow according to the report!

Yep, I was loaded up and getting ready to leave town when I figured I should call and check the hotline. I ended up spending the afternoon unpacking.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Default Chitina on Friday

Obrien is packed with people trying to get out, but the dipping is slow. We got in the canyon at 9:00 am yesterday, had 35 by noon, but it slowed to a fish an hour in the afternoon. We left at 7:00 pm with 51 fish. Most people we talked to had similar results - not limiting but getting some fish.

So - the fishing is still slow, however, if you work it long and hard on a good hole, you can get fish.

I would recommend waiting a week or so, and if possible hit early to mid week to avoid the weekend crowd. The line was just nuts Friday morning.
    Last edited by hiker; 07-19-2008 at 11:07. Reason: typo

Default Hem's Number?

Lost Hem's hotline number...anybody got it?

Down there on Weds...slow but fun for the group of us

Thanks

907-823-2200
    memorized

Default Thanks

Thanks...!

Default I quit dipnetting

Well I think that dipnetting has become a three ring circus. Remember the good ole days when you could just walk up to to hems boat and get right on? I went down to Homer on sat. to bring the boat back and I thought we might try dipping out of the boat in Kenai, since it was a weekend I knew that the line would be long but I did not think it would be out to the highway. I could only imagine what a dog and pony show it must have been at the ramp.
    Last year we went to Chitna twice, The first time the line was so long that I did not get out. The second time the fishing was so poor that Hem would not take any more people.
    I have noticed that each year we have thousands of first time dipnetters. So the crouds get bigger and bigger.
    I have given up for this year, But next year I may get an upper river permit and find someone with a jet boat and experience on the copper river that would be interested in trading a couple of copper river trips for a couple of Halibut Fishing trips. Anyone interested?
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

How long did it take charters to go from $180 to $250 and climbing? Now you know why other forms of fishing are getting more attention. As far as Chitina goes, there's an 11k day that should be arriving this coming weekend ...but the river is still high (42.7+) and rain all week... good luck.

Brian

Fishmsster,

I only dip midweek. It's worthing taking a day off of work to mostly miss the masses.

I haven't dipped the copper since the landslides made it impossible to drive your truck down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    How long did it take charters to go from $180 to $250 and climbing? Now you know why other forms of fishing are getting more attention. As far as Chitina goes, there's an 11k day that should be arriving this coming weekend ...but the river is still high (42.7+) and rain all week... good luck.

Brian
    Who's charging $250.00? Is this for drop-off or drifting?
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Well, I was there last Friday (July 17th), and of one charter I know, the morning group did well Friday morning, but the afternoon group of four did poorly. The guy told me that fishing slowed down considerably by Friday afternoon, so he didn't want to take more customer out there that day.

I dipped in the subsistence area (upstream from the bridge), and there were some boater who caught a very few salmon by drifting most of the day, so I am certain that these salmon cost a fortune on fuel. The average number of salmon being caught from these boats was approximately 1 per two or three trips up/down. The water was very high, so the eddies that I know of weren't to be found. A friend and I decided to drift and sweep the bottom, and after several tries (Friday afternoon, and Saturday morning) ended with one king and one red. We just turned around and returned home.

The water was high enough to isolate the fish wheels from the gravel bar, and I noticed one person driving his truck-through about a foot-deep of water-to his fish wheel, but did not see any fish being caught in a couple of fish wheels that were still turning.

The weather was incredibly nice Friday and Saturday morning. It was not windy Friday night, and the sand was wet enough from the previous rains that it made for a very pleasant night of sleep in my truck.

I was very disappointed in Chitina this past weekend. A friend and myself took our 4 wheelers down the canyon Friday afternoon only to find that every spot on the bluffs was full of people. There were quads parked at nearly every path over the edge and the ones that didn't have quads on the trail had drop offs on the back eddies. I made at least a dozen trips over the side only to find that someone was down there and usually several someones. My favorite back eddy had about 10 4 wheelers parked there and at least two tents stuck in the trees at the water level. I hate to sound like a complainer but the crowds have 100% turned me off on Chitina after over 25 years of dipping down there.

There were cars and trucks parked along the road all the way from O'Brien creek to Chitina and the parking lot at the creek was totally full Friday afternoon. There were lots of fish in the river but most of the time the folks on shore weren't doing very well at all. There was a big slug of fish Saturday night from about midnight until 5:30 Sunday morning but after trying all day in the rain to find a good spot I had given up and gone to bed losing my window of opportunity.

One more note on the trail going in past O'Brien Creek. I was expecting the much less landslides than I encountered. I had no problem traversing them on my quad but several of them are real close to blocking the road permanently. There are some huge rocks that are 3/4 of the way across the road and it seems to me that one more big event and the road will be closed forever. Too bad our state can't run a dozer down the road at least once each year but I don't ever see that happening again.

I am not trying to be sour apples here but I only got 4 fish as I couldn't find a decent spot to dipnet from. My big mistake was going down on Friday morning of a supplemental weekend. When I left Monday Morning there were less than 1/20 of the people there that there was on Saturday.