Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep from every range?

Default Sheep from every range?

Just curious if anyone here has managed to successfully harvest a sheep from each of the major AK mountain ranges?

Still need one from the White Mountains for an "Alaska Slam"...but I haven't hung up my huntin' boots yet.

Yes, people have done it. The White Mtns. are not a major range, are you saying that you have harvested rams in every other sub-range in the state?

Interesting discussion. We have sheep in Chugach, the Talkeetnas, the Wrangles, the Alaska Range, the Brooks Range and the White Mts. Is that it?

Doug - Add the Kenai Mountains to your list.

Right now just getting a sheep would be a dream come true but I thought it sure would be neat to hunt all the major ranges with the goal of taking an animal that represented the atributes common to that range. Am I mistaken or is the entire Chugach range gone draw only? If so it adds a little more preasure to connect on my permit this year!

Doug - Add the Kenai Mountains to your list.
    I didn't know what to call them and thought they might be part of the Chugachs.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I've dreamt about this a lot...so far I've scored in the chugach- pretty much the same area you drew Lujon, the Talkeetnas and the Brooks. I am hunting the brooks again this year but would like to hunt the Alaska range in the future. The Kenai mountains hold sheep but I have heard a lot of pressure keeps rams in the closed areas...?

There are sheep in the Yukon-Tanana uplands. Do those count? Not exactly a major mountain range, but they are out there...

Yk

Default Seven Mountain Ranges

Sheep Biologist recognize seven mountain ranges in Alaska with sheep. Wrangell, Kenai, Talkeetna, Chugach, Brooks, Alaska and Tanana Hills/White Mountains. I need a ram from the Kenai and Talkeetna Ranges to complete my Alaska Slam. I'm trying to accomplish this with walk-in hunts only.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    Sheep Biologist recognize seven mountain ranges in Alaska with sheep. Wrangell, Kenai, Talkeetna, Chugach, Brooks, Alaska and Tanana Hills/White Mountains. I need a ram from the Kenai and Talkeetna Ranges to complete my Alaska Slam. I'm trying to accomplish this with walk-in hunts only.

Stephen, are you saying you walked all the way into the Whites and walked out with a Ram?

Skookum hunter indeed....

Frank

Default White Mountains

After four long days of packing out a ram, the sight of your pick-up truck can very nearly bring you to tears. Here's a pic...Sorry it's so grainy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

did you walk in there blind, scout it on foot first, or fly it ahead of time?

Default White's pre-season

I did a lot of research and gathered some hard earned intel to get me going the right direction. So I had a good idea, but it was too far to scout on foot and I've never killed a ram I've seen from the air. I don't think that counts as going in blind, but close to it.

Default To Fullcurl

That's impressive. I supose your sheep hunts wouldn't be classified as the "easiest hunt" in Alaska.

I wish you the best of luck on yourAlaska Slam.

Default Wow.

Stephen, many here probably don't know the logistics of the hunt you completed; but it really is an incredible accomplishment--and quite a beautiful ram.

How did you get across the river?

Congrats on that very special trophy and experience.

Frank

Default Thanks

Thanks guys. I am particularly proud of that ram. Though there have been other hunts, particularly my Chugach ram that were more strenuous and challenging due to weather, hunting pressure and sheep populations. I'm not at liberty to give any more details on the White Mountains hunt lest I unwittingly divulge a bit of intel. That hunt is super-secret.

Default all that I can say is

WOW - good on you guys.

I just want 1 - - then 1 more, then 1 more.........

I will start my map/regulations/internet/phone scouting this winter - I become resident next year and will do a "foot" hunt. Have 1 area that might turn out good with a drop off a float plane - then what appears to be a long uphill climb into sheep country....

Default Congrats

Stephen, You really know how to push the envelope and all of your hunting accomplishments are well deserved. Hope 2008 holds some great adventures for you!

Elliott

Default Does it Count

Does it count if you have hunted all the ranges and struck out in all?! That is more the accomplishment that I seem to be getting closer to.
    Way to go for you lucky/skilled hunters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast