Thread: Looking for New Pistol

Default Looking for New Pistol

hello everyone! i am looking for a new or used semi-auto pistol. i bought a 44mag Redhawk a few months ago that i really like and enjoy shooting but i have been wanting a pistol for a while for a few different reasons. shooting mag rounds for fun is getting kind of expensive and i didnt buy the redhawk as a gun for plinking or target shooting just as a hiking/fishing carry weapon. i dont know a great deal about pistols and was hoping for some advice. i want a gun that is a fun to shoot and i can easily find factory ammuntion for but a gun that has some punch for personal protection as well. let me know what you think and suggest as far as manufacturers and calibers go. Thanks!

Default new pistol

Since you did not mention wanting a ccw pistol or if the protection was from other humans or not, you could do a lot worse than a Springfield Armory XD-40. Very reliable, more than reasonably accurate, feeds anything and not too spendy. The .40 S&W is an excellent personal defense round.

Default +1 on the XD line

I've got two XD40s, 3" and 4" models. If you get one, may I suggest upgrading it with Tru Glo TFO (tritium fiber optic) night sights - these are awesome. I've got'em on my sub, and will upgrade my 4" shortly I really like how these feel, point and mine have been uber-reliable.

To be fair, there are other nice polymer pistols out there too (Glock, Smith M&P) for similar prices.

Go to GNG or another friendly local shop and fondle many models and buy (at least ) one.

I think it all depends on how much you want to spend. I'm considering geting a Sig, but they are a little pricy. I have a Glock, which is reliable, but I don't really like the feel and point of it. Those XD's feel and point great.

In regards to caliber, I've had a few .45's, but my ultimate favorate caliber is the 9mm. It's a fun round, and it's not as expensive as some of the other rounds.

I now have a 9 mm Beretta, .45 Kimber 1911, and .40 Springfield XD Subcompact (3 in), along with a S&W .44 Mag revolver. I am looking to sell my XD Subcompact, it is just a few months old. PM me if you are interested.

Overall if you want a gun that is fun to shoot, and you may want to shoot often (versus once a month or something), and don't want to spend a lot on ammo, i would go with a 9 mm. I agree with the above poster, go to local shops and handle these guns. i would look at glocks, springfield xds as they make some good 9 mm models.

.40 and .45 gets expensive up here if you don't reload. 9 mm i have found for half the price of .45 around Anchorage.

Good luck!

SIG...depending on where you buy them, they can be not much more than imported East European plastic pistiols

Default gun

I have a Glock and Sig 229 Equinox in .40 S&W. Both are excellent guns. The Glock I have is the tactical (one inch longer). Very accurate. The Sig is like a Swiss clock. I recommend either of these guns highly. Fun to shoot and accurate, cheap ammo, and great for the night stand. Even better, put it on a Night Sentry. I got one recently. Cool as heck. See the link below.

http://diamondsentrydistributors.com/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Smile easy choice......

Buy a good Govt. Mod. 1911 .45 from Kimber or one of the other good quality companies and shoot the heck out of it.

I really like my 45 acp 1911 which I shoot the heck out of every tme to the range. My carry gun is a 9mm though. Kahr K9. It's an awesome gun after about 1000 rounds through it and it carries oh so well.

I've shot the other guns mentioned so far and I think you'd do well with any of them mentioned.

Take your time selecting a pistol. Check out the local gun shops, listen to their sales pitch, pick up a lot of guns. Repeat over and over again and then buy. Taking your time can also help you save up more money if you prefer a slightly more expensive pistol.

One thing you'll want to consider if you want to shoot a lot is the cost of ammo. The only reason I can afford to shoot my 45acp so much is because I reload. While reloading costs an fair amount up front, it in itself can be a rewarding part of shooting. I currently reload 45, 38sp, 9mm, and 500 mag.

Of the guns mentioned so far that I have shot that I liked the most was the SIG.

Good luck.

Couple of weeks ago I went looking for a new 45 myself. I was convinced I wanted a Springfield XD. Then I handled a S&W M&P .45 and it had a much better trigger pull, way less creep and about half the weight of the XD. I walked away with the M&P but havent shot it yet.
    As others posters have said, go find a shop in town and spend some time handling different brands. When you find one you like ask to see a different one cause each one will vary as far as the trigger goes.

I have a Tangfolio EAA Witness 45 auto. It is a great pistol. I bought it for $300 a few years ago. I think they are closer to $400 now. I have shot many rounds through it. I am very pleased with it. It is a bit heavier than the composite pistols mentioned above.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".