Thread: Whittier rock fish help

Default Whittier rock fish help

The wife and I are renting a boat from Ft. Rich on the 1 - 3 of August. We've been out in Whittier several times in my zodiac playing around but this time we want to relax and catch some fish. Ft. Rich rules are that you can't go beyond the south side of Perry or out the south end of Culross. Can anyone give me some good ideas where we could go to catch some rockfish within those boudaries? I'm not looking for exact locations, but anything will help. We figured it would be a good time to do our own glacier cruise and fish at the same time. We are renting the 22' C-Dory to see if that's what we want to buy this winter. We figured this would be a good way to test drive one. I've learned so much from you guys on here already and thanks for any help you can give me now.

Rob

Mouth of Perry has yellow eye and rockfish.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

We caught rock fish on the bay at the South end of Perry a few weekends back, you'll see a pinnacle on the charts. I also caught a few in the entrance to Hidden Bay on Culross Island. Warning, Hidden Bay is a tricky entrance, shallow, lots of rocks, and a strong tide.

But in general I head further out to get into the fish. Don't be frustrated if you don't catch many or any fish. I've been skunked quite a few times on my first few trips into the sound.

Look on the charts for pinnacles or ridges that go from a shallow area of 50-100 feet and quickly drop down to say 600 feet or more.

Also fish around 30-60 feet deep around points, say the tip of Culross Island. The silvers might be in then, and I've found a 2 oz keel sinker 30" in front of a hoochie with a dab of herring seems to work well, or a 2-3 oz pt wilson dart or similiar, or a buzz bomb. The buzz bomb is cast out, and you let it flutter as you're reeling in, then give it tug and repeat.

Default RockFish

Mouth of Esther Pass does as well. The north side of Esther Island and south side of mouth. There is a pretty sharp drop-off there. IF the boat has a sonar or fishfinder, just get close to the rocks and look for the steep drop-offs. You will see fish stacked in anywhere from 60-150ft of water. I have had my best luck in around 80-120 with warmer waters.

good luck and enjoy the cruise.

WOW that was quick. I have fished the entrance to Esther and Pigot bay. Both decent spots, but never had a depth finder. Not much room in the Zodiac. The Dory has it all, so now that you all gave me some rough ideas where to go, I won't be wasting so much time looking.

Paul, you are right about the silvers. They are a blast out there and 2 weeks from now should be pretty good. I also read your post about fishing near Disc island. At least I think that was you, just north east of Disc between there and Ingot is amazing rockfish and yelloweye fishing. Deep water though. Too bad it's out of my limits with this boat.

Silvers were being caught infront of main bay. We caught some out by Montague..
    Fish the mouth of perry for yellow eyes and sea bass.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Perry

Are both of the mouths on the north side good spots? If I remember correctly, I thought there were 2 different mouths to the island when running out towards it. Could be wrong though.

Yes I've fished by disk. Picked up a couple lings and the 4 of us ended up with 7 yellow eye on Tuesday, though we were fishing the other side of that group, and mostly in 100'. I'm hoping to head over to green island the beginning of august.

My boat is setup very similar to a c-dory 22, I think you'll find it's a nice layout. Though instead of a dinette I put in a bench seat / birth. I debated an open skiff or just a cuddy cabin, but then I realized a couple of miserable days in an open skiff and that would end my family fun. Having the pilot house to get out of the weather is almost essential. While I'd love a 28' aluminum boat with twin 175's to 225's, I just can't afford one.

I was really hoping to get back to Disk in a couple weeks but it's too far out. That little lagoon is a great place to stay over night. I've been comparing all the boats for quite awhile and for us, the 22 dory seems to be about right. Small but not too small and pretty efficient. I like the dinette since it's just the wife and I, but does take up a little more space. I guess in the end, it's whatever comes along at the right time and fits the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I was really hoping to get back to Disk in a couple weeks but it's too far out. That little lagoon is a great place to stay over night. I've been comparing all the boats for quite awhile and for us, the 22 dory seems to be about right. Small but not too small and pretty efficient. I like the dinette since it's just the wife and I, but does take up a little more space. I guess in the end, it's whatever comes along at the right time and fits the wallet.
    The CD 22 with merely an adequate captain (I have one) will take rougher, snottier water than most people will ever want to be out on. If I am careful, I burn just under 4 gallons per hour on a 23 mph cruise - not bad for twins.... I enjoy the disk too. I have been there several times and it is a nice place.

Default Disk?

What do you mean when you say "fish by disk"?

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac-chief-51 View Post
    What do you mean when you say "fish by disk"?
    Disk Island near Knight Island.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default c-dory

That's why we are looking into the dory. Nice smooth ride and fairly cheap to run.

Disk Island is just so nice to be around. You can run the passages around it and watch deer and bear everywhere. Not much fishing in the passage between knight and disk, but out a little deeper is pretty good. I've only been out there a couple times between openers while commmercial gillnet fishing with a buddy, but we slayed the fish there. Just never fished closer to Whittier so that's why I posted this thread. We have lived here for about 7 years now, but always used our Zodiac out of Deep Creek for halibut but never jigged at all. I can't wait to learn how to do that out in Whittier. Thanks for all the info. I'm a huge boat freak, (my wife says I'm borderline obsessed with it) and I read the posts on here so much, I'm sure I'll see you guys out there in Whittier the first weekend in August.