Thread: quiver on or off bow?

Default quiver on or off bow?

anyone hunt bout or moose with their quiver on?? I'm used to hunting from a stand where I take my quiver off soon as I"m up in a tree..never have hunted with the quiver on my bow, made me shoot left...what do you guys do up here in AK when shootin caribou or moose at longer ranges or when your stalking???

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman77 View Post
    anyone hunt bout or moose with their quiver on?? I'm used to hunting from a stand where I take my quiver off soon as I"m up in a tree..never have hunted with the quiver on my bow, made me shoot left...what do you guys do up here in AK when shootin caribou or moose at longer ranges or when your stalking???

Off....and attached to my pack usually. And not for any particular reason, I just like shooting with it off.

I'm with you there. but how do you attach it to your pack/frame pack...rather more importantly, how do you get your next arrow for a second shot??

I hunt with the quiver on. I sight my bow in with it full of arrows.

I used various methods of trying not to hunt with a bow mounted quiver and all of them failed. I found that having them on the bow was the easiest way.

Hip quiver is what I use. I use to have a quiver on the bow. I just find it more comfortable to have it on my hip
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

hey doug,

did you notice a change of impact with your quiver full of arrows on and when it was off??

Quiver on the bow on the ground or in a tree stand.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I hunt with the quiver on. I sight my bow in with it full of arrows.

I used various methods of trying not to hunt with a bow mounted quiver and all of them failed. I found that having them on the bow was the easiest way.
    I use a back quiver called a Hawg from 3Rivers, its easy to pull arrows from and hides your feathers or vanes.

with your back quiver, did you have a hard time pulling out broadheads??

Default off

I usually leave my quiver on my bow and take it off and tie it to my belt when i begin my stalk or if i am in my sittin area.

I think I might try hooking my quiver up to a caribiner...I think the trick is trying to keep it out of the way on the stalk...

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman77 View Post
    I'm with you there. but how do you attach it to your pack/frame pack...rather more importantly, how do you get your next arrow for a second shot??
    Usually it's my day pack, and I just buckle it to the side with the straps on the pack to where I can reach around behind me and grab an arrow. It's no problem....

Just practice both and you'll be set for both circumstances. I change depending on the terrain, I'd like to try a hip quiver just never have. Goodluck

A caribiner would be a disaster..too floppy. There are several high quality hunting hip quivers on the market, but I didn't do well with any of them in the brush.

Default Versatile quiver

For those guys who don't like a bow quiver, Check out the Arrow Master by Safari Tuff. http://www.safarituff.com/products.html Covers the fletching to stay dry for the Trad Guys shooting feathers. Well constructed, holds plenty of arrows.

Default ON

I hunt with my quiver on my bow. I also practice shooting with my quiver full of arrows.
    DJ

Quiver on. Full of arrows for practice. I seem to shoot the same rather it's on or off, and my arrows are always right there instead of in the truck or boat when I finally belly crawl to shooting position.

I like the quiver on seems to be handier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex1811 View Post
    For those guys who don't like a bow quiver, Check out the Arrow Master by Safari Tuff. http://www.safarituff.com/products.html Covers the fletching to stay dry for the Trad Guys shooting feathers. Well constructed, holds plenty of arrows.

96 Bucks for the arrow master! I have too start making custom gear too sell! I made a quiver for my pack that also can be used on the hip. I used some scrap PVC pipe and left over material from the freight pack project, in other words it cost me nothing! In fact it got rid of garbage for me! You can get a serviceable hip quiver at sportsman's warehouse for what 30 bucks!

I don't like the bow mounted quivers myself. I find they get in the way and don't provide enough protection for my arrows on long trips.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Quiver on

A few years ago I watched my friend Tommy stalk a caribou in the tundra with his hip quiver on. With those vanes waving 2 feet in the air I could see right where he was from a long way off :}
    So could the caribou :{

Quiver on the bow works best for me-
    I prefer the 2 piece version if I'm using fixed broadheads, because the system is tighter to the bow. That quiver won't hold expandables though, so I use an Alpine Soft Loc sometimes. The Alpine can pop off the bow, and you can get a belt attachment so you can carry it as a hip quiver and an attachment which lets you mount it to a tree, or you can tuck into your pack until you start the belly crawl. It's a good system.