Thread: .350 Rem Mag?

Default .350 Rem Mag?

Two posts in a row
    Anyhoo, found a good deal on a Ruger M77 all Weather in .350 Rem Mag.
    Anyone have any experience with this caliber? Not much choice for ammo, just the 200 grain Rem. Looks like it would be a good moose rifle without going to a 300WM or a 338WM.
    Thanks
    Paul

Great rifle. The factory fodder was disapointing in the accuracy department, but this was my first handload.

225 gr @ 2700 fps is a pretty good combo. I need to work up some loads with the 225 tsx, that load was the 225 sierra. I wouldn't buy a 350 if I wasn't a handloader.

I have a M-77MKII that I had to work on a while back.
    Recrowned the barrel.
    Relieved the barrel channel in the stock.
    Polished the feed ramp.
    Stiffened the forearm.
    Re-enforced the recoil lug.
    Installed a front sight with a vented hood and a fiber optic bead.
    Used Warne detachable rings.
    Used a NECG detachable rear sight.
    A side sling in addition to the undersling. Can be carried like a pack up steep inclines.
    Coated with ceramic paint.

I call it the Sourdough Rifle

There should be a photo here.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=27813
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

So, would it be fair to say its a great round, but a, shall we say, less than great rifle (stock)? I have heard less than glowing comments on the M77's trigger, but thought that was as far as it went.
    Thanks for the info gents, this is exactly what i was trying to find out.
    Cheers
    Paul

Default accuracy varies

The accuracy on the older Rugers could vary because of the barrels that were being jobbed to Ruger, but otherwise, in my experience, they were solid working guns. I never went fancy on the ones I had.

That group was fired from a stock rifle that had 10 rounds of factory ammo put through it, and wasn't cleaned. Yeah the factory trigger is stiff, but anytime I put 3 shots in a 1/2" group at 100 yds, I'm content, oh yeah with a mere 2.5x compact scope.

Great round and great riflle, both underapreciated.

I can't think of anyone I know that has bought a ruger all weather that won't shoot. Most put 3 factory rounds into 1 1/2". The rem factory fodder was something like 3" in my 350, but handloads have been right around moa. here's the load I settled on 59 gr of Varget over a 225 sierra.

The picture in my first post was a 57 gr charge, the 58 gr charge was around 1 1/4" for 3 shots, which looked huge compared to the other groups.

Well, i suppose you could be happy with that group...
    Thats out of a stock Ruger in .350RM??

I have used Paul H's loads in my rifle. For some reason they did not work in mine when the rifle came out of the box. But they do now.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    That group was fired from a stock rifle that had 10 rounds of factory ammo put through it, and wasn't cleaned. Yeah the factory trigger is stiff, but anytime I put 3 shots in a 1/2" group at 100 yds, I'm content, oh yeah with a mere 2.5x compact scope.

Great round and great riflle, both underapreciated.

I can't think of anyone I know that has bought a ruger all weather that won't shoot. Most put 3 factory rounds into 1 1/2". The rem factory fodder was something like 3" in my 350, but handloads have been right around moa. here's the load I settled on 59 gr of Varget over a 225 sierra.

The picture in my first post was a 57 gr charge, the 58 gr charge was around 1 1/4" for 3 shots, which looked huge compared to the other groups.
    Paul H, the targets you present for the 350Rem Mag do not get any better than you have shown. Your rifle really shoots for a 350Rem Mag. Really nice.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Dead stock rifle with the factory heavy trigger. I hadn't even taken the action out of the stock.

Subsequent to that I have put a lighter trigger return spring and did a little bit of stoning to the trigger, but it needs a little more work.

Seldom do I get that lucky with load work.

The funny thing is, I was also working up loads with a rem 700 .243, and I had to try alot of combos to get the accuracy to the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Two posts in a row
    Anyhoo, found a good deal on a Ruger M77 all Weather in .350 Rem Mag.
    Anyone have any experience with this caliber? Not much choice for ammo, just the 200 grain Rem. Looks like it would be a good moose rifle without going to a 300WM or a 338WM.
    Thanks
    Paul
    Dandy round and rifle, with its only limitation being the variety of factory loads available. Zero issue if you reload.

I compare it very closely with the 35 Whelen, and that's a compliment. The tradeoff in my mind is between longer action and a magazine with more capacity versus a shorter action with less magazine capacity. Choose whichever floats your boat, but the ballistics are going to be very close.

I wouldn't turn down either, and if I was going to build one (I'm a lefty), the action I already had on hand would have more to do with my choice of caliber than any other factor.

Use the heck out of it and enjoy every minute!