Thread: Jims Creek/Lake Hare Hunting

Talking Jims Creek/Lake Hare Hunting

I'm hoping to go out to Jims Creek area to try my hand at rabbit hunting. Grew up in a fishing family, never hunted for anything but squirrels (and that was rodent control). The guy at Sportsmen's Warehouse said that there should be plenty of rabbits out there. I'm hunting with .22's and was hoping for some advice. General techniques, and how to skin and get the meat off of the animal are where I am lost. anyone been out there recently?

I grew up near there and have hunted the area many many times. Frankly, it isn't that good, but you should find something. Maybe it's better out by the river, I spent most my time on the swamps and sloughs.

The best method is to push the heavy cover bordering the lakes and waterways. It's think and ugly, with lots of sticker bushes and sharp branches. Our best luck was with 2-4 people walking abreast with .22's. You just have to be very careful that you know where everyone is at all times, or bullets can fly in bad places.

Really, the best time to hunt is going to be in the winter after a good Chinook. Then the ground is brown, the rabbits are white, and the swamps are (hopefully) frozen.

I'd do some reasearch though, we just hunted that area because we were close, not because it was particulary good hunting. Might find some better places out on the Flats. Rabbit hunting is alway good fun though, and there is only so many bunnies I can eat in a winter, so the success rate isn't that important to me.

Yk

The bunnies will be perpetually pregnant till mid/late august which is fine cause they are hard to hunt untill early/mid september when they are turnin white. Snowshoe Hare have two uteruses so they can give birth to one litter and still be pregnant with another! Now you know why they are so prolific. I can't stand killing pregnant stuff so I will wait even though it is still legal. There were a couple guys going across jims creek and getting their limit in 20 min or less last year. You never know when the population cycle will crash but rumor has it this year may be even better than last! Oh another reason to wait till after the first hard frost is to kill of the lice that they commonly have.

Default Gone

Wish i could but im not around for the winters... out of state schooling gets in the way of the hunt!