Thread: Fastest Salmon Reel.... YOU PICK

Default Fastest Salmon Reel.... YOU PICK

OK guys...

I was packing up Shimano and ABU salmon reels for the big Kenai trip, and curiosity was getting the best of me. I know most of you think about "speed" in terms of gear ratio, but there's more to it than just that. When you have the need for speed, which of the reels listed below has the fastest pickup?

I carefully measured out how much superbraid each fully loaded reel picks up with exactly one revolution of the crank.

Give me your best shot and rank them from fastest to slowest.

I'll post the answer later tonight.... it might just surprise more than a few of you.

Here are the contenders:

1) Curado 300DSV (6.2:1)
    2) Bantam 50 (4.6:1)
    3) Calcutta 400TE (5.0:1)
    4) Tekota 600 (4.2:1)
    5) Calcutta 700TE ((4.7:1)
    6) ABU 6500 C3 (5.3:1)
    7) ABU 6500 C4 (6.3:1)
    8) ABU 7000 C3 (4.1:1)
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Too many variables!!

Doc,
    This is almost a good test. Alright the gear ratio is the number of turns of the crank to how many times the spool turns (or the bail arm depending on reel type). Easy breezy there...almost. Now you have to take into account the circumfrence of the spool which varries from reel to reel AND is constantly variable depending on how much line is allready wrapped around it. Essentially the spool diameter has the same effect as changing your tire size on a vehicle. If they all had the same size spool and we eliminated the variable of the line allready wrapped by starting with the first wind on a clean spool then the clear winner would be the ABU 6500C. However if the diameter of the spool on the 6500C is 1" then the circumfrence is 3.142 and when we multiply that by the number of winds per crank revolution we get 19.79" of line pickup per crank revolution. Now lets say that the Tekota 600 has a 1.6" diameter spool then the pickup would be 21.11" per crank which would make it "faster" despite having a much lower gear ratio.
    End result is I have absolutely no idea which one of those reels is the fastest

**I couldn't find the actual spool diameters for each of the reels so these are just fabricated numbers to illustrate a point**

Default nice

we need the gear ratio and the line loaded spool diameter to tell you wich will pick up youre line th fastest but it will be the one with the largest loaded diameter that has the highest gears BTW my plane leaves in less than 24 hours FISH ON

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    we need the gear ratio and the line loaded spool diameter to tell you wich will pick up youre line th fastest but it will be the one with the largest loaded diameter that has the highest gears BTW my plane leaves in less than 24 hours FISH ON
    Yep, gear ratio means nothing by it's self. c'mon Doc get in the game man!!!

Mark
    Did you ever mail those sinkers out to me?

Default 50

Doc, all I run these days are Bantam 50s. Tough, smooth, never failed, and I seem to be able to keep up with fish running straight at the stern. They are sometimes tough to find, which is why I grabbed all I could, think I own 7 or 8 now. Should be set for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Doc, all I run these days are Bantam 50s. Tough, smooth, never failed, and I seem to be able to keep up with fish running straight at the stern. They are sometimes tough to find, which is why I grabbed all I could, think I own 7 or 8 now. Should be set for a while.
    The Bantam 50 was my very first baitcasting reel back in 1977 or 1978.... when the ABU 6500 was considered the reigning Kenai Peninsula king salmon reel of the day. They are just about bulletproof... and I remain a big fan of this reel although they have been discontinued.

I've currently got 4 of the Bantam 50's... one well-used veteran, and 3 that have never seen the water. Got 'em thru E-Bay a couple years back. They will probably all be baptised on the Kenai this year.

Every reel on the list in the initial post is part of my arsenal, although the ABU 6500's see very little use on the Kenai due to pervasive ABU drag issues with both the C3 and C4. In contrast, the drag on the ABU 7000 is great, as is its line capacity.

Capacity can be a big consideration when fishing tidewater kings on the Kenai. Smaller reels have been emptied in mere seconds when a runaway hawg sprints downriver before you can clear the rest of the lines in the boat. The ABU 7000, Tekota 600, and Calcutta 700TE all have comparable capacities. The next level down would be the ABU 6500's, Bantam 50, and Calcutta 400TE.... again, they have comparable capacities. The baby of the bunch is the Curado 300DSV... it has the narrowest spool of the listed reels. But boy, is it ever one smooth work of art!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Fastest pickup

I read your original post. You said you would post your answer. The last of your post does NOT broach the subject. Am still curious!!!!!!!!!!

Default Me Too Doc

Inquiring minds want to know !!!

And the answer is......

5) Calcutta 700TE ((4.7:1) = 28.5"

1) Curado 300DSV (6.2:1) = 28.0"

7) ABU 6500 C4 (6.3:1) = 26.5"

4) Tekota 600 (4.2:1) = 24.5"

2) Bantam 50 (4.6:1) = 24.0"

3) Calcutta 400TE (5.0:1) = 23.5"

8) ABU 7000 C3 (4.1:1) = 22.0"

6) ABU 6500 C3 (5.3:1) = 21.5"

I must admit I was a bit surprised that the small low-profile Shimano Curado 300DSV ( easily the smallest reel in my chinook arsenal) ended up in a near tie with the gigantic Calcutta 700TE. It easily surpassed the bigger bulkier Tekota 600 and ABU 7000.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    the ABU 6500's see very little use on the Kenai due to pervasive ABU drag issues with both the C3 and C4.
    Hey Doc,
    Have you tried any of the Smoothy drag washers in the c3's & 4's yet? We swapped out the stock washers with a set of their Extreme Smoothy and a set of the Carbontex Smoothy washers. Really improved the drags on the reels. So far haven't really been able to tell a difference between the two different washer upgrades, but it sure revived a couple reels that really needed it.
    How about the new Abu Records? Play with any of them yet? If you have, curious what your thoughts are on how they compare to the rest of your line up. I picked one up from Trustworthy late last year and have been real happy with it so far. Have't tied into any big ones yet, but it's worked well so far on a half dozen or so 30-40lbers.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishinguy View Post
    How about the new Abu Records? Play with any of them yet? If you have, curious what your thoughts are on how they compare to the rest of your line up. I picked one up from Trustworthy late last year and have been real happy with it so far.
    I've had a 50 series Record for almost 3 years and I like it. Of the ABU round reels, I would say this is the most refined, you can tell it's a notch better than the older models just by playing with it. This reel was also supposed to use a new carbon drag material, i can't say much about it other than it seems to be not as sticky...smoother drag release. And they all have a ported spool for faster startup like the 5600WS, one of the C4's, and a few other models. I think the Record the best looking of ABU's round casting reels. I have this reel on a lighter rod so, like you, i've also never had it tested to its limits.

I didn't know it at the time, but the record is a reissue of sorts. They were first sold 50 years ago or so and there are Record collectors.

Default Avets?

Not to barge in on the thread...and I know they are pricey but I used one in PWS and loved the two speed option. Brought the line up faster than my 6500 or 7000's would. Anyone have an idea of the line recovery on one of these? I was also told you can cast with them does anyone have experience casting with them?

G

Quote Originally Posted by akgiauque View Post
    Not to barge in on the thread...and I know they are pricey but I used one in PWS and loved the two speed option. Brought the line up faster than my 6500 or 7000's would. Anyone have an idea of the line recovery on one of these? I was also told you can cast with them does anyone have experience casting with them?

G

I have. You can cast anything, the oldest baitcast reels had no casting controls which is basically how all conventional reels, including 2 speeds, are still made. With the larger reels, i'm riding my thumb the whole way because i was afraid of getting a massive overrun. With the small to mid size reels, it's all the same. Avet has a beautiful affordable 2 speed in a very small size....newly released last year, i think.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

5) Calcutta 700TE ((4.7:1) = 28.5"
    1) Curado 300DSV (6.2:1) = 28.0"
    7) ABU 6500 C4 (6.3:1) = 26.5"
    4) Tekota 600 (4.2:1) = 24.5"
    2) Bantam 50 (4.6:1) = 24.0"
    3) Calcutta 400TE (5.0:1) = 23.5"
    8) ABU 7000 C3 (4.1:1) = 22.0"
    6) ABU 6500 C3 (5.3:1) = 21.5"

I must admit I was a bit surprised that the small low-profile Shimano Curado 300DSV ( easily the smallest reel in my chinook arsenal) ended up in a near tie with the gigantic Calcutta 700TE. It easily surpassed the bigger bulkier Tekota 600 and ABU 7000.

I put the 700TE and C4 at the top.

I had the 7000C3, 6500C3 and 400TE all the same because they're the same size reel. ABU's spools generally don't get bigger diameter with a higher series, just wider, which meant the 6500C4 had to be fastest of these 4.

the bantam i had no clue on. The Tekota is a big reel but with that low ratio, i had no idea where to put this either.

Out on the drag track, that curado would have been the sleeper for sure

Thumbs up I have but one thing to say

ABU Record! RCN60HC, I have 2 of them, not sure of how many inches (and they are up there with the best of them) but they cast a MILE EFFORTLESSLY and bring in the hogs!! NUFF said...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    ABU Record! RCN60HC, I have 2 of them, not sure of how many inches (and they are up there with the best of them) but they cast a MILE EFFORTLESSLY and bring in the hogs!! NUFF said...

Purchased with Fillet Wow Dividends no doubt!!!!