Thread: Kasilof or Kenai???

Question Kasilof or Kenai???

So, first ever dip-netting permit is in my pocket, and I plan (hope) to use it and fill it this weekend. I am debating whether I should go to the Kasilof or the Kenai. I have never dip-netted before, and I am going alone, as my weekly fishing partner is going to be on a trip. So, I am wondering where to go, and in that, which place would be better for a newb, and if anyone has any tips. I figure if there are as many fish coming in as the count says, it should be fairly explanatory, but I dunno. Also, I read in another post on another thread, someone said you could net on the Kasilof at night and the Kenai in the day... Where was he going with that? I thought you could only get 25 fish period, or am I wrong and you can get 25 per river. I really wish that I was under the supervision of someone more experienced than I am, but days off are too few and far between to stay home and wait... So, yeah, if anyone has any thoughts, sling them my way. Thanks!!!

I did it for the first time last year and while there is a learning curve, it isn't that bad. While I have not dipnetted the Kasilof, I am pretty sure you can dipnet in both in one day. But you can harvest 25 for yourself and 10 for each additional member of your household FOR THE SEASON TOTAL. (Not per river). PM me and I can give you more specifics on the Kenai and also when you might go as I am headed down there next week, and if there at the same time, could help you out.

If you go to Kasilof, I will be there this weekend. Look for the blue F350 with the really big topper on it. CLVLND is the plate.
    I would be glad to help you out on the learning curve.
    I usually look at it as Kasilof for more fun, good time, but smaller fish. Kenai is a meat market, people are friendly too, but bigger fish and you can keep a king.
    I can drive right down the beach at Kasilof (stay off the dunes), or you can do the same on the South side of Kenai (I have never dipped that shore). North Side of Kenai can become quite the zoo.

PM me if you have any more questions. I will be staying in the Crooked Creek Campground this weekend.

Good Luck, Enjoy the fishing.

AK Chappy

The Kenai is only open from 6am to 11pm. The Kasilof is open 24-hrs. Hence, you "could" dip the Kasilof during the night, and if you don't fill your single quota, you can try to get the remainder up at the Kenai during the day.

Any of the 4 primary access points will give you pretty similar results. Just remember, at the north beach access of both Kenai and Kasilof you will be parking just off the roadway and walking to the fish (not too far, 100-200 yards). The south beach access of both will require either 4x4 vehicle to drive the beach up to the mouth, or you'll have to park and get a pretty good walk (1/4-1/2 mile). Kasilof is free. Kenai will cost you $15 to park for 12 hours.

At the Kenai, you could also park at the Warren Ames bridge on Bridge Access road and fish the bank below the bridge.

On the Kasilof, they've now opened it all the way to the Sterling highway bridge, so you could dip at any of the sport fishing access points along many miles of river there.

Go somewhere there are other folks dipnetting. Watch them, ask questions if needed, and just do it. I think you'd get the most benefit out of just going to the Kenai mouth and being one in the crowd. Do what everyone else is doing and you'll be fine.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Family members have to be present?

I know that you are allowed 25 fish for head of household and 10 for each additional family memeber. The question I have is - do the family members have to be present when you're fishing?

For a good time, my preference is the south shore on the Kas. More laid back group of people and they tend to drink more too. It is the hardest to access of the 4 shores. 4WD mandatory.

Drawbacks are the fish are smaller than the Kenai. And I caught a 25-30 pound King last weekend. It tore holes in my net and I had to throw it back.

I think all the shores will be a zoo this weekend even though the weather won't be very good.

Default Nope..

Quote Originally Posted by campingfoool View Post
    I know that you are allowed 25 fish for head of household and 10 for each additional family memeber. The question I have is - do the family members have to be present when you're fishing?
    Nope, your family members do not have to be present. One member of the family can fill the entire quota. Have fun, I'll be at the Kenai in a couple hours myself

Quote Originally Posted by campingfoool View Post
    No they don't have to be present. Your PU permit is for your family. Anyone in your family can do the dipnetting, as long as they have a valid fishing license if they are above 16 years old, and they can dipnet under 16 years old without a license.

You just have to make sure you document the proper number harvested before you leave the site with your fish.

And make sure you mail the PU permit back regardless if you end up dipnetting at all, as there is a fine associated with not mailing it back in.

Default Mailing back

Thanks Herman. I didn't know we had to mail the permit back even if we didn't use it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    And I caught a 25-30 pound King last weekend. It tore holes in my net and I had to throw it back.
    How blushed out was your king?

Like the others said, Kenai has larger fish, but larger crowds to go with it. Most folks are friendly, but with that many people, you will have some jerks in the mix as well. South shore is the best bet here on the weekends.

Kasilof is where I have fished the last few years. Fish are smaller, but the crowds are thinner and more laid back. I fish the north side a couple hundred yards from the mouth. Very laid back and folks are spread out in this area. Fishing is not as intense as it is at the mouth, but we still manage to get our family limit each year. We will be headed down that way on Sunday. Weekday fishing is best if you do not like crowds.

We stay at the Stedi RV park and campground a few miles up K-beach road. Wife seems happier when there are hot showers and running water nearby.

Pretty much no matter where you go, you will figure out real fast how dipping works. It is really fun when the fish are in. Just watch what people are doing and follow their lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaclimber View Post
    How blushed out was your king?
    Chromer. I hope someone hooked it up river.

Default RV

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    The Kenai is only open from 6am to 11pm. The Kasilof is open 24-hrs. Hence, you "could" dip the Kasilof during the night, and if you don't fill your single quota, you can try to get the remainder up at the Kenai during the day.

Any of the 4 primary access points will give you pretty similar results. Just remember, at the north beach access of both Kenai and Kasilof you will be parking just off the roadway and walking to the fish (not too far, 100-200 yards). The south beach access of both will require either 4x4 vehicle to drive the beach up to the mouth, or you'll have to park and get a pretty good walk (1/4-1/2 mile). Kasilof is free. Kenai will cost you $15 to park for 12 hours.

At the Kenai, you could also park at the Warren Ames bridge on Bridge Access road and fish the bank below the bridge.

On the Kasilof, they've now opened it all the way to the Sterling highway bridge, so you could dip at any of the sport fishing access points along many miles of river there.

Go somewhere there are other folks dipnetting. Watch them, ask questions if needed, and just do it. I think you'd get the most benefit out of just going to the Kenai mouth and being one in the crowd. Do what everyone else is doing and you'll be fine.

What about parking a 30' Class-C?? Would it be better to hook the trailer up and bring the wheeler down?

Motorhome parking is limited at all locations and near non-existent at both of the north beach sites. If you have a wheeler to use, I'd look at a south beach site. Unless you can find parking at the end of cannery road (but I'm thinking there isn't going to be any), you might be stuck looking at parking on Coho Loop near the beach access and using the wheeler to get up to the mouth (pretty short trip, even if you have to park way out by the pavement). I've certainly thought about taking a wheeler down there just to keep from driving my truck on the beach. Very soft sand down in that area and it sounds like the old trails up in the dunes are now off limits.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!