Thread: Kenai - North vs South Beach

Default Kenai - North vs South Beach

This is my second year dipnetting, and last year I was on the south beach. Is there any + vs - for either? Was planning on heading to the south since that is what I know. Is the walk from parking to the north beach a ways off? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    Is the walk from parking to the north beach a ways off?
    The parking lot itself is a ways off on the North Beach (400 yards?), but there is an access road that you can drive out to drop off your gear and pick it back up at the end of the day.

Last year I just parked my pickup on the north beach. I don't know if that's restricted now. I like the north beach. Seems to be less people though when the fish are in (and they are now) it can still be a zoo like the south side. Of course they jacked the price for access now. $15 for 12 hours. Was $10 for 24hrs last year.

Default go to south beach this weekend, or the bridge

Based on the number of dippers headed down this evening, you can probably forget about finding parking for the north side.

For those who haven't tried it, if you're down there at high tide and the run is average (20,000 plus), the plus tides are making the bridge area a great option. The water at high tide this evening was up to the grass - no need to step in that slimy mud. And, there were only about five or six people there. When you get big plus tides, the bridge at high tide (about an hour after the beach high tide) can be very productive. We nailed them there in 2005 when there was a strong run of fish. It is fantastic at very high tides, and it's never crowded because parking is limited, with room for maybe 20 or 25 vehicles at most (never counted, just guessing). Last year it was $5 to park there. No idea what it is this year.

Believe me, if you catch them at the bridge during high tide you'll wonder why it can't always be like that. No mud or sand on the fish, no trudging to your cooler. Only works like that on the plus tides, though. (Like the next few days....)

Default It's gonna be a zoo!!!

Basically every other vehicle we saw going down Thursday night had dipnets on them. When we were coming back to ANC yesterday morning.... it was the samething looking at the opposing traffic. Hopefully with all those guys going down there dippin', it'll lighten up the banks for the guys rod & reelin' upstream. Goodluck and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Last year I just parked my pickup on the north beach. I don't know if that's restricted now. I like the north beach. Seems to be less people though when the fish are in (and they are now) it can still be a zoo like the south side. Of course they jacked the price for access now. $15 for 12 hours. Was $10 for 24hrs last year.
    Sorry, I meant south beach not north. I was typing with my back to the computer.

Default north beach access

I've never dipped the north beach of the Kenai...looking at Google maps, there's a nice big parking lot at the end of S. Spruce Street and then I see that access road Brian mentioned. I'm I looking at the right thing?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...23582&t=h&z=16

Oh, and what's the cost for parking? TR is confusing me!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Yep, you're looking at the right map, Nick. Parking is $15 this year.

That was fast! Thanks, Brian...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    That was fast! Thanks, Brian...
    Rainclouds have been threatening all day. With an infant, we're tied a little closer to home when the weather is like this. We've taken him climbing and boating a bunch already, but with rain like this we end up inside more than we'd like. So....at your service, sir.