Thread: 50 caliber for moose DM766

Default 50 caliber for moose DM766

I own a 50 caliber T/C muzzleloader and need to know what loads/bullets work for moose. I got drawn for a late season muzzleloader hunt and would like to hear from others who have killed moose what they used and were successful with. I would also welcome unsuccessful encounters also since I would hate to take the wrong bullet/load out and wound an animal. Feel free to pm me if you do not want others to have this advice.

The drawing is DM 766 out the rex trail about 30 miles. If anyone has any advice about this area as far as access/hunting tips it would be greatly appreciated. I may already have a pilot/plane lined up so getting into the area should not be a problem.

Thanks again for any advice.

CubeCove

Default dm766

I have an earlier post on this I did this hunt last year, under wood river moose gun and load used and location pm me for an specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by cubecove View Post
    I own a 50 caliber T/C muzzleloader and need to know what loads/bullets work for moose. I got drawn for a late season muzzleloader hunt and would like to hear from others who have killed moose what they used and were successful with. I would also welcome unsuccessful encounters also since I would hate to take the wrong bullet/load out and wound an animal. Feel free to pm me if you do not want others to have this advice.

The drawing is DM 766 out the rex trail about 30 miles. If anyone has any advice about this area as far as access/hunting tips it would be greatly appreciated. I may already have a pilot/plane lined up so getting into the area should not be a problem.

Thanks again for any advice.

CubeCove

I haven't taken one with 50 cal, so I have to defer to a friend who does. He uses a traditional flinter with round balls, but gets within 40 yards and takes only broadside shots through the lungs. I shoot traditional 54's and have recently moved up to 58's, which might give me a little more range, but I'd still stick to broadside lung shots only. By nature I'm not a longrange shooter, so anything over 50 yards is pure theory to me.

If you're concerned about bullet choice and effectiveness rather than trying to stretch the range, I'd be much more inclined to use an all lead conical like the Hornady Great Plains or TC Maxi rather than a jacketed bullet in a sabot. There's just something about launching a bullet that weighs more than 400 grains rather than one weighing 300 or less.

I've had the best luck with all-lead conicals using loose powder rather than pellets, and with a lubed felt wad between the powder and the bullet. I'd expect a charge of around 80 grains of Pyrodex P or Goex 3f real blackpowder to give the best crossover between accuracy, power and recoil with such heavy bullets in most 50's. With either of those bullets, that charge has worked best in my 50's.

To me stalking within 50 yards of the game is the whole point of using a muzzleloader, but others rely on pellets and sabots to try and stretch the range. Since you can't use scopes on MLs in the special primitive weapon season, it seems kinda pointless to me to try stretching the range at the expense of performance at closer range. My personal choices and not reflective on the way you should do it. I've got inlines too and shoot sabots through them as well as pure lead conicals, but I don't have much experience with the sabots on game or trying to stretch the range. Others here do it with great success, and I'll leave it to them to give you advice on the best combos based on holes in game rather than holes in paper.

Good luck on your hunt, and have a great time!

Default Sabots

Our family hunts with a variety of inlines, Encore, Wolverine 209, and a CVA. They are all fairly dead on as long as we stay with-in the mid range weights of 300-400 grains of the sabots or lead bullets. We all utilize 150 grains of pyrodex as it has plenty of oomph and the pellets make for quicker follow-up shots. It is really handy to have these set-up in advance in the reloader premeasured.

I have done that hunt last year and we found the the lead bullets requiring "lube" or even pre-lubed to be difficult as the temperature dropped. We really like the plastic inserts that act as wadding and a seat for the sabot, all though some of the ones that have just the plastic bottom pre-attached to the sabot did have the plastic come off in colder temps.

As to accuracy like any "bullet" different guns shoot different types a bit better so we always grab a 20 pack of the same grains size and spend a day finding the best set-up.

The only big hint is the ballistic drop past 100-125 yards is dramatic, especially as we tried the bigger sabots. That being said, within a hundred yards the hitting power killed the moose dead in it's tracks, and the sight-in is basically point blank.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by alaska32 View Post
    Our family hunts with a variety of inlines, Encore, Wolverine 209, and a CVA. They are all fairly dead on as long as we stay with-in the mid range weights of 300-400 grains of the sabots or lead bullets. We all utilize 150 grains of pyrodex as it has plenty of oomph and the pellets make for quicker follow-up shots. It is really handy to have these set-up in advance in the reloader premeasured.

I have done that hunt last year and we found the the lead bullets requiring "lube" or even pre-lubed to be difficult as the temperature dropped. We really like the plastic inserts that act as wadding and a seat for the sabot, all though some of the ones that have just the plastic bottom pre-attached to the sabot did have the plastic come off in colder temps.

As to accuracy like any "bullet" different guns shoot different types a bit better so we always grab a 20 pack of the same grains size and spend a day finding the best set-up.

The only big hint is the ballistic drop past 100-125 yards is dramatic, especially as we tried the bigger sabots. That being said, within a hundred yards the hitting power killed the moose dead in it's tracks, and the sight-in is basically point blank.

Hope that helps
    Really useful info Alaska32!

I'm always collecting info, and you've filled in some holes while raising a question.

What kind of lubes have you tried on the all-lead bullets, and what kinds of temps were causing the problems? I've been making my own from deer tallow and olive oil, varying the mix ratio with the time of year. I just haven't tried them in colder weather, though I have a pretty good idea how they compare to other lubes at the temps I've worked with. Knowing your lubes and temps would help me "guess" how mine would work at the same temps.

Thanks!

I too drew this tag a couple of years ago, pm me and i will give you some specifics