Thread: Take a soldier fishing

Default Take a soldier fishing

I am looking for soldiers to go fishing.

I need one soldier for each Tuesday in August.

The trips will be in the afternoon likely 12-6 but plan for the day since the trips will be out of Willow or Wasilla (burma landing).

These are chartered trips donated by our own Fishermans Choice Charters.

They will be on six pack boats for Silver Salmon. To my knowledge the other seats will be filled with soldiers in the B.O.S.S. program.

Just need an active duty I.D. any branch of service and a fishing license.

Shoot me a P.M. or call me at (907)388-2257

For Silvers, Reds, Trouts and Dolly Varden!
    Fishing out of Burma Landing and Houston Alaska.
    You can call us direct also.
    Check out the link below....

Thats cool! And the soldiers can find some info at take a soldier fishing dot com

At times Im on there also looking to see If there are any takers,and Im surprised at the lack of it.I hope some soldiers take you up on it as thats just awesome your doing that.Daniel

I got a few responses. I have a couple Military folks that I'm taking out for the Seward Silver Derby
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Thank you

Just the fact you're offering to get these guys out and on the river is great.

I work at Fort Rich, so I'll pass your contact info along to some folks at the Warrior Transition Unit (where the wounded Soldiers heal up before either transitioning back to civilian life or returning to duty.)

The BOSS program (Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers) is a nother program which is great to support and I'm glad to hear they're involved with TASF. Anything that provides them with something to do besides just drinking away their Alaska tour is a great thing.

You might also want to open the offer up to some of our fine Alaska National Guard men and women. I know they've been rotating in and out of the sandbox a lot lately...of course they live here and may have easier access to the resource, but who knows?

John

The offer is open to guard as well. There will be Kulis soldiers going to Seward with Alaska Gray.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

July 26 is the Kulis fishing derby in Seward. Prizes and food.
    Welcome to all military.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I can tell you from experience that this is a great program. We get a lot of ships here into the port of Ft. Lauderdale. These military people are very grateful for any gesture of good will. We load them up here on the private fishing boats of our club members, fill the boat with sandwichs and beer and take them out for the day. Many have never been fishing like this before. It's a treat for them and I considerate it the LEAST i can do compared to what they do for us.

That is the best thing going. Please offer a trip to our Military. They deserve our gratitude! Thank you to those who participate.

RMiller,
    The 1st BDE 25th ID will be returning from NTC around that time and will also be deploying shortly thereafter to Iraq. I know they would have several Soldiers interested in throwing a line in the water before they leave. I'd get with the BOSS program there too (Wainwright).

Sapper 2-7

Guys that is sooo cool! you guys ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Thats cool! And the soldiers can find some info at take a soldier fishing dot com

At times Im on there also looking to see If there are any takers,and Im surprised at the lack of it.I hope some soldiers take you up on it as thats just awesome your doing that.Daniel
    As soon as I get out of Korea and to Elmendorf, I definitely will take advantage of this offer.

56 days left in Korea
    28 days in Wisconsin/Minnesota
    10 days driving to Anchorage

It's all coming together.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Just a note to those of you that are taking these young men and women in the military fishing. I dont think you know how much it means to them! I served in the Corps after Vietnam and was in a few scrapes during my time in and not once was i ever thanked. I was not looking for it but it would have been nice. after 9-11 i would be wearing a Marine Corps tshirt and peopel would thank me for my service. I was walking out of a cafe in ND pheasant hunting and a guy saw my USMC decal on my truck and invited me out to his place to hunt. Guys you dont know how much that meant.

All gave some, some gave all
    they stood true for the red white and blue and some had to fall
    all gave some, some gave all.
    SEMPER FI

I have all of my available spots filled as of July 20.

I will still put together a list of Soldiers who want to go on a trip so please let me know if you are interested.

If anyone wants to take a Soldier fishing please let me know as I have filled all of my spots.

It looks like we will be getting 36 soldiers out in the next couple weeks. The last trip is on Aug 16. I will post reports as they happen.

Thank you everyone.