Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: most concentrated sheep area

Default most concentrated sheep area

okay no fly in option. a long walk is a given when walking up ****ty terrain for goat or sheep. but what is the most concentrated accessible area to hunt sheep without having to draw a permit. dads always wanted to do this and his friend has tried but to no avail and nothing would make me happier than to share this experience with dad and make it so hes one up on his buddy. whats your opinion? doesnt have to be a easy hike, just have lots of sheep hiding somewhere.

If you're looking for a walk-in hunt, you're not likely to find an area that has concentrated sheep populations, particularly a concentration of legal rams. There are very few consistently productive walk-in areas, and those that exist are treated like gold by those who hunt them. Many on here are happy to share tips to make sheep hunting more productive, and if you ask about particular areas you might get valuable feedback. Most likely, though, you won't get too much feedback on such an area because they don't really exist and the closest thing is a highly protected commodity.

okay but i didnt ask for that at all. i definately was nt saying hey everybody you know that group of sheep that everyone knows about thats pretty close to the road system with like all of the full curl and a half rams that nobody hunts. where is that? after doing mainly predator hunting with pretty much no success the last 2 years aside from black bear i know all too well that success is never a sure thing. i guess in different words where is the best area accessible to hunt sheep. as i want to help the old man get the only huntable species in alaska that he hasnt killed as his years of being able to do that kind of climbing are running out. thats all

You'll find better concentrations of sheep in the mountains. I'd start there as working flatlands and small rolling hills won't be very productive for sheep.

I get what you're saying, chase, and I'm most certainly not trying to be rude. The truth is, though, that there are very few areas accessible by road where there are concentrated sheep populations.

The road system offers accessible sheep hunts in the Brooks, Alaska, Wrangell, Chugach, Talkeetna, and Kenai Ranges. Go hike on your weekends and see what you can find. On my first road hunt I found a 32" full curl ram after lots of hiking that summer. I haven't found a legal ram there since, but I hike the area at least once a year and try to scout at least 1-2 new areas a year also. Time in the field is the way to find your honey holes.

Darn it jerod, you just gave away somebodys honey hole!....grin

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Darn it jerod, you just gave away somebodys honey hole!....grin
    Dang, I was worried about that. Next time I'll try to be more vague. lol

Back in the early developement days of AK the meat hunters pretty much pounded the crap out of accessable sheep. Not to mention if you can see them so does the other 100 hunters that just drove past. There are areas with small pockets of sheep that are road accessable. You just have to be willing to put in the time like Brian said. That being said not many will give up these areas because of the HIGH probability that you and 40 others will be on the prowl in the area blowing out the sheep. Not trying to be an @$$ about it. But you will have to do the homework. I would suggest staying as far away from Anchorage as possible. You could always do a 20+mile hike in over a few days. Not sure what type of condition your dad is in, but that might get you a better area. Or just hope for a DCUA or TMA tag. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I get what you're saying, chase, and I'm most certainly not trying to be rude. The truth is, though, that there are very few areas accessible by road where there are concentrated sheep populations.

The road system offers accessible sheep hunts in the Brooks, Alaska, Wrangell, Chugach, Talkeetna, and Kenai Ranges. Go hike on your weekends and see what you can find. On my first road hunt I found a 32" full curl ram after lots of hiking that summer. I haven't found a legal ram there since, but I hike the area at least once a year and try to scout at least 1-2 new areas a year also. Time in the AIR is the BEST way to find your honey holes.
    It was almost perfect

If I was a sheep hunter in AK, I think I would get a stout ultra light with the big tires. Low and slow, awesome for scouting. Hopefully you have good life insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    If I was a sheep hunter in AK, I think I would get a stout ultra light with the big tires. Low and slow, awesome for scouting. Hopefully you have good life insurance.
    Good luck with that. Big tires and all.
    There are people on here that scout them out with ulta lightes but they go back to hunt by a different method.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Good luck with that. Big tires and all.
    There are people on here that scout them out with ulta lightes but they go back to hunt by a different method.
    I am thinking powered parachute

Default Sheep Mountain

You can always go south between Glennallen and Anchorage. Sheep Mountain, lots of legal rams there. It's a closed hunting area, but has a ton of legal rams. You can shoot in the area also, just claim that you dont speek English. Fish and game seam to be a little more lienlent on you if you can't read or write. But if that's the case then this wont help either. John in Delta
    It's better to be lucky than good anyday.
    Last edited by aktomboy; 07-18-2008 at 00:06. Reason: spelling

Default hang in there...

Most people on this site are helpfull and have allot of knowledge and wit. Over the years I have been impressed and educated by some of these guys. They really know what their talking about. So hang in there. Dont worry about the guys who give smart ass coments and highjack. Their the ones who post the pictures of them selves all gussied up in their hunting gear in their living room and by boots 2 weeks before a season opens. I could go on about armchair outdoors men...

Check your PM's and lets try and hook your dad up...

Kevin
    Last edited by mountainair; 07-18-2008 at 01:20. Reason: none of your business

Chase, the places you're looking for i.e. road accessible walk in hunts with a decent chance at a ram became Drawing Permit hunts long ago.

There are a few road accessible walk-in hunts in harvet ticket areas but you're generally talking a 10+ mile hike just to the fringes of where the rams are.

For starters, get a Gazetteer and look for glaciated mountains near roads then compare those places to the regs to see what's open. That's how we did it before the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    ....but they go back to hunt by a different method.
    I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainair View Post
    Most people on this site are helpfull and have allot of knowledge and wit. Over the years I have been impressed and educated by some of these guys. They really know what their talking about. So hang in there. Dont worry about the guys who give smart ass coments and highjack. Their the ones who post the pictures of them selves all gussied up in their hunting gear in their living room and by boots 2 weeks before a season opens. I could go on about armchair outdoors men...

Check your PM's and lets try and hook your dad up...

Kevin

mountainair took the bait, hook, line and sinker! Its amazing how easy hunting is when folks play the sympathy gig to get spoon fed info on here!!!!

there are sheep in hatchers pass area....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    there are sheep in hatchers pass area....
    caribou as well

No caribou, have never seen a track or any sign of caribou up there....sheep on the other hand......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast