Thread: Pics of my new Boat!

Default Pics of my new Boat!

So, here it is, my attempt at an all purpose affordable boat. And Yes I know there is no such thing! Mainly going to use her on the big lakes like kenai and looise and short runs on the ocean. I'm kinda of eying a 50 horse motor with both the jet and prop, so I can expand the water range to rivers for wich was probably the intended purpose for this boat. But, Ive never really had the urge to be out on rivers.

The bow is a sort of modified V as you can tell. The bottom is Barely round, but not flat. The boat also has a half canvas top that has never been used.

She is a 16 Ft Gregor welded aluminum with 35 horse merc and Ill be putting on my 6 horse and taking his off. It also comes with a Garmin Depth finder. There is alot more room on the boat than I think the pictures show. The gas tanks and Battery are stowed away nicely. I like the blueboard that is laid down. Makes that bottom nice and clutter free. The Seats are low and you sit awfully far forward. That is about my only complaint.

But the price was what I can handle, I can tow it with my existing vehicle and it will probably do the job. What all do you guys think?

And Yes I will be advertising in the Open Seat section of the fishing forum!

Default Nice job

Sounds like it will fit your needs, good price, and will perform all the things you want it to do. The memories that will be made it that boat will last a lifetime. Enjoy it and share pics of the hogs your catch in it with the rest of us. Oh and Ill be looking at the open seat thread to see what you have going. Good luck, Be safe but have alot of fun

Oh and as far as your seats being low. Im sure it cant be to hard to change that. In not an expert on that issue but raising them should be fairly easy. As far as moving them back im sure someone else can chime in on the efffort that would take
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 07-17-2008 at 20:41. Reason: stuff
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Good find, hope you enjoy it. Don't care for the forward seating either, shouldn't be much to change it to the rear.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Nice

Very happy for you and it looks like she should be able to do alot of things. Happy boating!!

You'll have just a lot of fun in that boat. I ran a 16 footer for several years and it was just so easy to toss around and to transport.

Good for you Rimfire, looks like it will cover alot of bases. I'm jealous.

Going to get a downrigger and a radio for her this weekend. Thats about all it needs. Im pretty excited about having a turnkey boat!

I still havent figured out what to do with the seats. Just live with them I guess. If I raise them up I will be above the windshield and the steering wheel will be to low. As far as moving everything back well, that sounds expensive and time consuming. If the old guy that had this boat before me lived with it for 20 years so can I.

Im Hoping to test it out this weekend, but I may not get to.

I think ya got room for me, what we fishing for?

Thats a nice boat Matt. Ya gona use it for the lakes and such too?

It will probably be used in Lakes the most. I have made it my personal mission to catch a lake trout this year. Gonna try Lake Louise, hidden and Kenai Lake before too long. I heard the trout in Kenai Lake were down over 100 ft right now so I might wait a little while.

Also I have really gotten into fishing for Arctic Char (that was me they are mentioning in the anchorage fishing report), so I do alot of trolling for those too. But for the most part the best fishing for those is in lakes with no motors or not good launches. Ill try Big lake out though maybe and that long Lake off the glenn.

Wouldnt mind putting in at Nancy either for whatever. There has to be some good pike in that lake. Hopefully some big trout too.

Options abound matey! Arggh

that boat will do alot! With a jet I wouldn't put the rivers out of my mind. As for the seats most are just bolted to the floor. You can get some shallow storage boxes and put a swivel seat on top of it. I have 2 stainless boxes with a seat swivel bolted to the lid. I have a pair of cheap walmart flip forward seats bolted too them. When cruising I can sit comfortably or when the water gets skinny or I am running it up on the trailer I just swing the seat around backwards and put a knee in it to elevate my view up over the windshield. It makes for a very handy place to store a ton of junk without costing fishing space!

Forget the 50, go with a 70, and you'll need a hydraulic transom jack with an additional 6 inches of height welded to the transom. It will allow for additional holes to move the jack up and down as needed when you go from prop to jet and back. The problem is the transom jacks, only go 5 1/2" and you actually need about 7 to comfortably switch. CMC used to make a jack with 8 inches of vertical travel, but they told me they didn't have many calls for it so they dropped it from the line-up.

You can have the console moved back, but when in shallow water, it is nice to be right up in front.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default That will do a lot!

The boat will take you many places, it is really more about the operator and using common sense with an eye toward the weather. You will be able to go SO many places.
    My advice is to start where you are comfortable (Lakes) and as you learn what the boat is capable of that you start to explore both rivers and salt.
    I have seen far less seaworthy craft far out on the saltwater out of Whittier. My boat will handle far more water than I prefer but I always listen to myself (and all available weather data and what I'm seeing and expiencing) about the conditions. If the weather says hole up for the _____________?...............then I do. Be prepared for the worst and bring something to eat/drink and something sleep in. Enjoy the adventure and you know what they say about a boat.

Oh yeah............don't forget the skeeter-dope!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    It will probably be used in Lakes the most. I have made it my personal mission to catch a lake trout this year. Gonna try Lake Louise, hidden and Kenai Lake before too long. I heard the trout in Kenai Lake were down over 100 ft right now so I might wait a little while.

Also I have really gotten into fishing for Arctic Char (that was me they are mentioning in the anchorage fishing report), so I do alot of trolling for those too. But for the most part the best fishing for those is in lakes with no motors or not good launches. Ill try Big lake out though maybe and that long Lake off the glenn.

Wouldnt mind putting in at Nancy either for whatever. There has to be some good pike in that lake. Hopefully some big trout too.

Options abound matey! Arggh
    Not my lake, but I would bet that they are between 25-35 feet. Thats where I painted them last year in Skilak about this time.