Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: easiest big game hunt in alaska

Default easiest big game hunt in alaska

by hunt i mean specific place for a specific animal. needs to have road access im willing to walk a ways to get to it just no fly in option. im trying to get a friend to warm up to it as they have never hunted before. a general season hunt would be nice and one fairly soon. ive hunted bear moose, deer and caribou before but never really thought about what would be the hunt with the most likely success. so what would be the hunt with the highest success rate that u can think of. hunts that involve extreme physical condition like sheep and mountain goat hunts are out of the question for my friend as i want this to be a very enjoyable trip for them. anyways feedback would be great thanks.

Probabaly black bears and you can find them almost every where if you can find their food source, like berry patches, etc.

Late August, early Sept North Slop Carribou Hunt. Either by Boat on some of the river systems or the 5 mile hike. I have done this hunt every year for eight years and have always been successful. I took my dad on his first Carribou hunt in 04 and once we got camp up and ate something we were done hunting 4 hrs later. Its a little work, but if up for the walk or have the ability to boat in it will be a successful hunt.

Default Pretty Tough

Quote Originally Posted by 350SuperDuty View Post
    Late August, early Sept North Slop Carribou Hunt. Either by Boat on some of the river systems or the 5 mile hike. I have done this hunt every year for eight years and have always been successful. I took my dad on his first Carribou hunt in 04 and once we got camp up and ate something we were done hunting 4 hrs later. Its a little work, but if up for the walk or have the ability to boat in it will be a successful hunt.
    I'm not too sure I would choose the 5 mile walk in on the North Slope. If your definition of a "little work" is walking a minimum of 10 miles packing out the Caribou over some pretty tough terrain.....I want to hunt with you...

your word "Slop" is a pretty good definition of that terrain.

Everything is easy if they are sitting on the road waiting for ya! But since they arent I would say bang for your buck is the sloap for bou. Walk or not there are far more animals to look over. If you "road hunt" for moose you will be following the other guy! Good luck.

Blacktails pretty much anywhere in the south east three years ago

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskainfNCO View Post
    I'm not too sure I would choose the 5 mile walk in on the North Slope. If your definition of a "little work" is walking a minimum of 10 miles packing out the Caribou over some pretty tough terrain.....I want to hunt with you...

your word "Slop" is a pretty good definition of that terrain.
    No kidding....when a guy says whats the easiest hunt there is , the death march is not something that comes to mind at all. IME thats one of the worst hunts there is! Killing a bou with a gun is easy once your 5 miles outside the corridor , its the humping it out part that sucks!

Black bears in the fall on berry-laden mountainsides.

boat hunt for black bear PWS, or road hunt for deer on kodiak....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

So have I got this right? You want to know where to go for two hunts with family and friends, one for sheep and goats and one for any big game. They have to be right off the road so you don't have to spend any money flying in. You also don't want to go find these spots by looking for yourself.
    I agree with 350, go do the 5 mile haul road hunt. It's easy, these guys say it's hard to keep other hunters away from there.

Default Chicken

if your able to get a couple of four wheelers, Chicken for caribou was pretty easy other than the 4 1/2 mile back out back to the four wheelers. We did the hike to get away from all the other hunters. Which we did minus the one guy that went down and up the Mt. while we went around.
    This yr. I am taking alot more beer and water and will be sitting by the tent in an orange jump suit and hope the caribou come by the tent. Then might do the haul road if I don't get one in Chicken which is doubtfull.

Let me specify just a little. Walked in once and lined a canoe up the Lupine. Floated out. Then boated up a few of the other river systems every year since. Like I said before The North "Slop" is a little bit of work but can be rewarding. Plus misery loves company. Its still one of the most successful hunts in the state if you time it right.

Default agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Ynggrasshopper View Post
    if your able to get a couple of four wheelers, Chicken for caribou was pretty easy other than the 4 1/2 mile back out back to the four wheelers. We did the hike to get away from all the other hunters. Which we did minus the one guy that went down and up the Mt. while we went around.
    This yr. I am taking alot more beer and water and will be sitting by the tent in an orange jump suit and hope the caribou come by the tent. Then might do the haul road if I don't get one in Chicken which is doubtfull.
    We did the same last year at Chicken too, we hiked back and all came back with nice bulls. I am headin up there in two weeks

Thumbs down Easy Hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by chaseb13 View Post
    by hunt i mean specific place for a specific animal. needs to have road access im willing to walk a ways to get to it just no fly in option. im trying to get a friend to warm up to it as they have never hunted before. a general season hunt would be nice and one fairly soon. ive hunted bear moose, deer and caribou before but never really thought about what would be the hunt with the most likely success. so what would be the hunt with the highest success rate that u can think of. hunts that involve extreme physical condition like sheep and mountain goat hunts are out of the question for my friend as i want this to be a very enjoyable trip for them. anyways feedback would be great thanks.

The tone of this thread is hunting should be Easy. Hunting should not be based upon ease or success but upon the quality of the experience. Your easiest hunt is at the cost co meat department.

Maybe I am just cranky?

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    The tone of this thread is hunting should be Easy. Hunting should not be based upon ease or success but upon the quality of the experience. Your easiest hunt is at the cost co meat department.

Maybe I am just cranky?

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Kinda like living in Alaska and going to Sagaya's for salmon

Or going to Simon and Seafort's for halibut.....

Default Yeah.....

Could someone tell me exactly where and when I need to go hunting, oh and then could you tag along and shoot and clean the animal? Then could you let me take some pictures with it, and then could you pack it out for me and put it in my freezer? Any help would be greatů

Give me a breaků.

Thumbs down Priority in the wrong order

easiest big game hunt in alaska
    I'm all for introducing new folks to hunting but the general theme present throughout your original thread needs a bit of tweeking partner. If hunting is be introduced to a freind it should be done so as an adventure, not as a killing event. Certainly not as a killing event done so at the easiest possible manner, with the least input of effort. In order to hunt one must be present in nature, taking part in the interaction of events. That does not always mean there is kiling involved. I can't speak for others here but most times when I venture out into the field I do not kill a critter. And it ain't for a lack of trying. The true nature of the hunt should be introduced as a means of expanding one's world, of becoming a part of nature, of filling one's world with the sights, sounds, fatigue & smells of nature. Yes, as humans we are a predator, perhaps I could be so bold as to characterize humans as an Apex predator, but first and foremost we are a part of nature. In nature there is a component called "hunger".

Introducing the act of killing an animal in a manner involving the least bit of energy expended disrespects the animal, shortchanges the so-called "hunter" and really mischaracterizes what the act of true hunting is about. The value of an accomplishment is in direct proportion to the amount of effort put forth to accomplish that task. That explains why the value of a trophy mount hanging on a hunter's wall is more valuable to the man who expended the effort to "hunt" that trophy than to the fool who buys that same mount at the estate yard sale for $5.00 after the hunter is himself dead.

ChaseB, it sounds like you need to find yourself a High-fence private ranch "canned hunt" where you lay your money down and fire that rifle from the comfort of the front porch of the lodge while sipping a latte....but lets not call that "hunting"

Quote Originally Posted by jacobet View Post
    Could someone tell me exactly where and when I need to go hunting, oh and then could you tag along and shoot and clean the animal? Then could you let me take some pictures with it, and then could you pack it out for me and put it in my freezer? Any help would be greatů

Give me a breaků.
    jmg.....Is that you with a new screen name...

Go to Safeway, it gets a little crowded but has high success and it is only a short trip back to the truck, you may also have someone do the packing out for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast