Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why not ARGO?

Default why not ARGO?

O.K. give me the low down blow down as to why not get an ARGO. Been lookin at ATV,UTV and ARGO's.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Default Argo

Well I have both Atv's & A max 6x6 and I'll tell ya if you plan on going on long rides in the high country a Atv is much better faster & more comfy now if you plan on staying low country in the bogs,mud,tussucks,etc than a 6x6-8x8 is best plus they float & can cross lakes,ponds,rivers,etc..But I can say I ride my 4wheeler's alot more.
    Just my 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    O.K. give me the low down blow down as to why not get an ARGO. Been lookin at ATV,UTV and ARGO's.

an Argo is an awsome vehicle,in the right enviorment.

Talking why ask why?

If you enjoy being wet and cold during hunting season don't get an Argo. If you like being stuck all the time don't buy an Argo buy a 4 wheeler or UTV. If you like having small camps and are limited where you can go don't get an Argo they carry too much gear and up to 6 people. If like being stuck on the other side of the creek because it rained while you were over there on your wheeler and now your stuck don't buy an Argo. Otherwise they are worth every penny when you drive past some miserable, stuck, muddy people that are wet and cold trying to winch there wheelers through a mud hole you just drove through while your warm and dry in a t shirt. Yes they cost more but you get more for your money! Just my .02 I used to be that guy that suffered every year on my wheeler thinking that I could get through that big bog where I know that big moose was on the other side while me, my gear and wheeler were covered in mud and freezing, I wouldn't trade my Argo for 10 four wheelers or UTVs.

My Landlord has taken hubby and I out in his before. He has the 2008 8 wheel model. It's freaking awesome, from what I've experienced in it! We helped him to haul old fallen telephones down some trails in Salcha and were pulling two at a time, without even noticing that they were there. If I could afford it, I'd totally get one!

Thanks guys, one more hitch on the Slope and I'll be gettin one!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post

Why not....They are super loud and beat the living crap outta everything aboard including you...Parts are expensive plus hard to find and forget about used parts...A real pia to work on..Fuel mileage is disgusting..

The good...Haul anything very tough hull or body and they float...Takes 15 minutes to go 15 feet in the water but better than swimming.

Why not....They are super loud and beat the living crap outta everything aboard including you...Parts are expensive plus hard to find and forget about used parts...A real pia to work on..Fuel mileage is disgusting..
    the old ones yes, the new ones... not so and anchoarge has the largest volume argo dealer in the world so parts.. no prob. gas milage, went over 60 miles pulling a 4x8 meat wagon with everything but the kitchen sink thru some of the worst terrian and didnt even burn a full tank ( 10 gal) , hell you can get efi if you so choose. pita to work on, well some things dont change. but they are much more dependable than the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 550 CAT View Post
    ...They are super loud
    Where do you get an argo is loud ?????
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

To my ears they're noisey.

Only seen one Argo at work. It was the 8 wheel version with tracks.
    It was VERY slow, bumpy and beat the driver up to death. But it went places no atv could even begin to.
    I would love to own one if I needed a machine that would go where nothing else could.

Several yrs ago talked with the dealer here in N. Cal. He was te distributor for all the westren region (including Alaska). Name was Tom. dont know if he's still with Argo, but he showed me pictures of him and his buddy up in Canada on a 3 week camping/fishing trip. Argo makes a backboard so you can mount a O/B motor on the back (up to 9 1/2 hp). They also have a boat type trailer you can haul behind it. They were using an 8x8 model on their trip. Everything got a good coat of mud on the trip but they could drive thru the forest and right into a lake and fish it for a while and drive out the other side and go find another lake. Another thing they make a track set for it for snow. You can get a enclosed cover with winshied and wipers for it, plus a heater. The set up I wanted at the time (about 5 yrs ago) was just a little over 17k . Thats when the better half said we were on out way to Home Depot to get some stuff to work on the house.
    I'am sure the price has jumped up a bit since then, but I can still dream.

Gun Runner

Quote Originally Posted by fishingis4play View Post
    If you enjoy being wet and cold during hunting season don't get an Argo. If you like being stuck all the time don't buy an Argo buy a 4 wheeler or UTV. If you like having small camps and are limited where you can go don't get an Argo they carry too much gear and up to 6 people. If like being stuck on the other side of the creek because it rained while you were over there on your wheeler and now your stuck don't buy an Argo. Otherwise they are worth every penny when you drive past some miserable, stuck, muddy people that are wet and cold trying to winch there wheelers through a mud hole you just drove through while your warm and dry in a t shirt. Yes they cost more but you get more for your money! Just my .02 I used to be that guy that suffered every year on my wheeler thinking that I could get through that big bog where I know that big moose was on the other side while me, my gear and wheeler were covered in mud and freezing, I wouldn't trade my Argo for 10 four wheelers or UTVs.
    Nice post, just the way I like em, I'm biting, here goes.

If I wanted to ride around in a T shirt I'll move south. I wear warm gear and have rain gear and ride my atv down to 30 below. The low clearance on the argo(without tracks) renders it worthless in the snow before my atv. I can carry just as much gear in my meatwagon as you can in your wagon. I got no use for passengers on my atv although the thought of taking someone people I don't like and making them passengers in my argo and suffer thru the worst ride on earth does sound appealing.
    Your argo has a slight edge in the bottomless mud but the people you passed were amature mudders, unlike me and the people I ride with. You don't even have much of an edge in water, my atv is snorkled and I'll take that puppy in any depth water as it floats and I know how to ride. The last argo that followed me across a swollen Little Nelchina river was doing 360s in the current the last time I saw him. Unlike my argos where I couldn't wait to get from point A to B because of the nasty ride, on my atv I love going down the trail no matter how nasty. I'll also get where I'm going 3 or 4 times faster than on the argo. It was probably your riding ability and a poorly set up atv that caused to to go argo. It's like this: riding and hunting on argo is like going on an elephant. An atv is like running with the wolves

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    An atv is like running with the wolves

Meaning what ??? Everytime you see or sense danger you run in the opposite direction !!!

As far as your snorkle goes ...We got photos of you crossing the "swollen Little Nelchina"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Good picture.

Kodak moment....ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Meaning what ??? Everytime you see or sense danger you run in the opposite direction !!!

As far as your snorkle goes ...We got photos of you crossing the "swollen Little Nelchina"
    Anybody that has to snorkle an atv exhaust pipe has too small an engine Mine will idle all day underwater.

Mind you I,m not going on hear say when I say argos suck. I owned two of them, I know they suck

If I had an argo it would be used one time a year and that is to go retrieve a moose from the rediculous bog they hide in durring hunting season in the valley. I don't know of a wheeler that will make it in there and I sure don't know of one that will make it out with a load of moose on it!

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    That sure is a funny looking snorkle....
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast