Thread: Free Help

Default Free Help

I would like to offer my services to anyone who may need them. It has come to my attention that this is something that needs to be addressed. Anyone interested in learning field care, proper preperation for your taxidermist, or just general questions, I would be more than happy to help.

This past spring's bear baiting season I had two hides come in that were not properly cared for in the field, which rendered them useless. I would like to stop this from happening in the future. We all put a lot of time, effort & money into our trophies, lets do what we can not to lose them.

Please feel free to PM me and we can set up a time to get together on the phone or in person.

I could also point you in the direction of some videos that have helpful information.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Default Tucker

From time to time ADFG provides instructional classes for people. Maybe it would be possible for you to do a seminar with them. You might even be compensated. I can get you the numbers of people to contact.

I know that a properly cared for field hide certainly makes your life easier and the cost less for us hunters.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Great offer Tucker, thanks. For those in Anchorage, Russ over at Knight's offers free skinning and care presentations, just call to set it up.

Tucker - If you would be willing, maybe you could do a free clinic in the spring right before bear hunting for interested forum members? I don't live in the area, but it sure would be cool for interested members.

Thumbs up

Great offer Tucker.

Very kind...

Frank

Default Cape Care

Tucker,

In your opinion how much salt shold I carry on my trip for a caribou cape. I am never sure.

Thank you.

Default Salting your cape

You left off some important information. How long of a trip? Mode of transportation? These will all play a role in how much salt to take. You can never have too much but, I would take at least 5-7 pounds for your hunt. (more for bigger animals)

I will give you the step-by-step bare minimal on a backpack hunt.

1.) I would assume you have your ears turned and your lips split and have taken care of nose cartilage and have enough material left around the eyes for me to work with.

2.) Lay your hide out flat on a tarp, remove all big slabs of bacon any fat (you have to look for these pockets some animals will have a thick strip of fat from the base of the neck to the shoulder blades this is all dependent on the time of year you are hunting) Now it is time to start salting, I start at the base working my way up to the base of the head, put on enough salt to cover the hide working the salt in with your hands, make sure that you are getting every square inch.

3.) Now you’re to the head, I like to put a thick coat at the base of the neck and sprinkle about the lower jaw. Working it into the lips and corners of the mouth. Now I quickly fold the head back onto the body skin, nestling the lower jaw into the salt.

4.) Cover the remaining area (top of the head) with salt working it in especially the ears and base of ears, lips, eyes, and nose. This is where the tarp will have come in handy to catch any spilt salt. Next step, go back and make sure that you have gotten all the edges make sure it hasn't rolled and you missed a spot.

I forgot to mention that this preparation should have been started in a place that offers shade and air circulation (you can make shade if none is available) Next, let it get as much air circulation at this time that you can, remember to keep it dry it should air out no less then an hour or so. At this point you can fold your hide skin to skin and role it up to put in a game bag for transportation, if you are not leaving the field directly you should remove the hide from the game bag daily, unfold, push the slat around and let the air circulate.

Game bags- buy the best. fine mesh to keep bugs out and air moving.

Remember to check it often and air it out frequently keep it cool and dry.

I hope this answers your question.
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Tucker,

Thanks a ton. It is a float trip lasting about 6 days. I will probably be able to pack plenty of salt.

Default Offer still good

Drop me a note or give me a call I will help if I can.
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Default My 2 pennys

I like to work the salt in by walking on the hide and grinding it in with my feet. And after 24 hours I shake out and resalt. You will see alot of liquid on the hide after the first 24 hours. This just means the salt is doing it's job. By shaking it out you get this moisture off the hide. Resalt with new, dry salt. And by all means keep it dry. As Tucker said salt the face area real well. And at least split the ears and salt well. If you lose any hair in these places it will be hard to hide. Theres no such thing as to much salt when it come to salting a hide. But a little is better then none. There should be a dvd out there some where.

Default do not i repeat do not

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    I like to work the salt in by walking on the hide and grinding it in with my feet. And after 24 hours I shake out and resalt. You will see alot of liquid on the hide after the first 24 hours. This just means the salt is doing it's job. By shaking it out you get this moisture off the hide. Resalt with new, dry salt. And by all means keep it dry. As Tucker said salt the face area real well. And at least split the ears and salt well. If you lose any hair in these places it will be hard to hide. Theres no such thing as to much salt when it come to salting a hide. But a little is better then none. There should be a dvd out there some where.

do not step on your hides and grind it with your feet.....especially fo animals that have hollow hair(sheep, caribou, moose)...apply salt liberally and rub it in with your hands and make sure to get all the edges unrolled and salted....and if you are gonna really salt the face area attempt to turn ears lips and nose.....if you don't and put a bunch of salt on it and it dries it is nearly impossible to finish turning these areas and you will lose hair...this also goes for the last knucke in bear hids and the tails....i'm amazed at how many tails i have to skin out of bears..its way easier to skin it right out when skinning the animal rather than trying to ssaw through or find the joint between the bones...plus you just dulled the crap out of your knife
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"