Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Concealed Carry in National Parks

  1. #1

    Thumbs up Concealed Carry in National Parks

    I recently read an article by Joel Connelly, a left-wing %%%%%% who writes for the Seattle Post Intelligencer. He urged readers to write to Judge Dirk Kempthorne (Secretary of the Interior) and express their comments AGAINST Concealed Carry in National Parks. We need to do likewise and write him with our SUPPORT for CC in National Parks. The deadline is August 8, 2008. Here's the address:

    The Honorable Dirk Kempthorne
    Secretary of the Interior
    1849 C. Street N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20240
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 07-25-2008 at 22:18. Reason: not appropriate family friendly word

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    614

    Default

    There is an online web address for the Dept of Interior to post those comments as well. I don't have the link anymore. I think I got it sent to me by the NRA or another group I belong to. I sent it in and forwarded to friends. I guess I should've posted it here. Will try and dig it up somewhere.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Well, it didn't take me long. I had the email in my "sent" folder.

    This is a public comments section for US Fish & Wildlife, under the Dept of the Interior. Web link was sent to me by the NRA-ILA.

    http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=SubmitComment&o=090000648053d497.


    Try and remember that those reading are more likely to pay attention when comments are polite, educated, and respectful.

    I encourage everyone to submit their comments. A change in legislation would allow National Parks to enforce gun laws for the State in which they are located in. So in Alaska, protection from wildlife in National Parks is important, and in some other NPs, protection from the two-legged creatures is important.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default Thanks Herman

    I did it. I submitted the following message.
    ************************************************** *********
    There was a story in our local paper recently, about how some workers in Denali National Park, were attacked by a Black Bear who was undeterred by Bear Spray.

    Fortunately, they had a gun and were able to kill the bear. Visitors to National Parks should be afforded the same ability to protect themselves.

    Experience has shown that it is unwise to venture even to the edges of the wilderness in Alaska without some lethal means of defending oneself.

    Visitors to the Park are led to believe that Bears are not dangerous, unless the Visitor does something wrong, or someone left his garbage out, or didn't have their food in a Bear Proof Container.

    In other words the blame is always put on the person being attacked, and the emphasis is placed on protecting the bears from people, and not the other way around.

    Historically, Alaskan residents have dealt with problem bears in a more practical and sane manner, and there has never been a shortage of bears, either Black Bears or Brown Bears.

    Not allowing Firearms in National Parks is a foolish regulation. It endangers human life. It needs to be changed, and the sooner the better.
    *****************************************

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  5. #5
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I did it. I submitted the following message.
    ************************************************** *********
    There was a story in our local paper recently, about how some workers in Denali National Park, were attacked by a Black Bear who was undeterred by Bear Spray.

    Fortunately, they had a gun and were able to kill the bear. Visitors to National Parks should be afforded the same ability to protect themselves.

    Experience has shown that it is unwise to venture even to the edges of the wilderness in Alaska without some lethal means of defending oneself.

    Visitors to the Park are led to believe that Bears are not dangerous, unless the Visitor does something wrong, or someone left his garbage out, or didn't have their food in a Bear Proof Container.

    In other words the blame is always put on the person being attacked, and the emphasis is placed on protecting the bears from people, and not the other way around.

    Historically, Alaskan residents have dealt with problem bears in a more practical and sane manner, and there has never been a shortage of bears, either Black Bears or Brown Bears.

    Not allowing Firearms in National Parks is a foolish regulation. It endangers human life. It needs to be changed, and the sooner the better.
    *****************************************

    Smitty of the North

    That is a great letter. Wish I had thought up one as well thought out.

    My idea was along the lines of Blazing Saddles, you know holding a toy gun to my head. While someone else tells the bear, "he'll do it", while I back away to the truck.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  6. #6
    Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    214

    Default

    This proposed rule change had an original deadline of June 30, so presumably they didn't get the feedback they liked and went ahead and extended it. The fact of the matter is that this is just a rule change by an administration and is not backed by any federal legislation whatsoever.

    An Obama Presidency or someone else down-the-road can change this back at any time without that legislative protection. Please write our legislators and explain how you feel and also please post a public comment about carrying in our National parks. We may never get this chance again.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    That is a great letter. Wish I had thought up one as well thought out.

    My idea was along the lines of Blazing Saddles, you know holding a toy gun to my head. While someone else tells the bear, "he'll do it", while I back away to the truck.
    Thanks Big Al:
    Your idea might not work with that crowd. They'd be afraid of traumatizing the bear.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  8. #8

    Default

    this is my letter to the previuos link

    About allowing concealed carry of firearms in the National Parks. Well I'll make 2 comments first, if I were a criminal and wanted to know for sure where I could easily knock someone off and steal a car and identity, I would head strait for a National Park. After all the people out in the wilderness without 911 to call and NO guns for self protection are easy prey. Second comment is ask your seasoned and experienced Rangers if they keep firearms handy when going into the wilderness and bear country? People sitting on their couches in suburbia that have no experience with either firearms or the wilderness should not be allowed to contribute to this discussion it doesn't affect them, ask locals, law enforcement and wilderness users.

  9. #9

    Default

    Why not go all the way and allow hunting in the national parks?

  10. #10
    Moderator Alaskacanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    1,450

    Default great idea

    Why not go all the way and allow hunting in the national parks?
    but its the Government and so its baby steps.....
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

    Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Why not go all the way and allow hunting in the national parks?
    What'er you tryin to say?

    Is this a serious inquiry, or is there a hidden implication in your post?

    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Why not go all the way and allow hunting in the national parks?
    Concealed carry or open carry for protections fine. Hunting no. Parks are meant to be a safe haven for animals. There are plenty of lands where you can hunt legally.
    Pat
    Colt M16/AR15 & Glock Armorer.
    Certified firearms Instructor & Urban Rifle Instructor.
    Completed SWAT Entry Team and SWAT Sniper courses.
    NRA Endowment Member IDPA Expert USPSA B Class

  13. #13
    Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Game animals should be managed in some capacity no matter what their location happens to be. In some parts of Denali National Park, virtually all of the new-born moose calfs of the year are decimated by an overwhelming bear & wolf population. Animals are not that stupid; sooner or later they realize where the safe havens are and act accordingly. 60% of our state is "federal" land from Parks to Refuges, to Forests, etc.. most of which is huntable. Why should parks be any different. Doesn't have to be a free-for-all, just a limited, restricted, hunt to keep the balance.

    No hunt zones makes about as much sense as no gun zones.



    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Concealed carry or open carry for protections fine. Hunting no. Parks are meant to be a safe haven for animals. There are plenty of lands where you can hunt legally.
    Pat

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    Game animals should be managed in some capacity no matter what their location happens to be. In some parts of Denali National Park, virtually all of the new-born moose calfs of the year are decimated by an overwhelming bear & wolf population. Animals are not that stupid; sooner or later they realize where the safe havens are and act accordingly. 60% of our state is "federal" land from Parks to Refuges, to Forests, etc.. most of which is huntable. Why should parks be any different.

    Doesn't have to be a free-for-all, just a limited, restricted, hunt to keep the balance.

    No hunt zones makes about as much sense as no gun zones.
    I agree. I can understand how Hunting could be a valid and useful tool in a National Park.

    This, "leave natural, no touchy, let things go ta Yell, in a handbasket", is stupidity elevated to an art form.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    What'er you tryin to say?

    Is this a serious inquiry, or is there a hidden implication in your post?

    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Nothing hidden, I have always been in favor of hunting in national parks away from high densities of people. YNP is a prime example. Every now and then the elk herd gets over populated and has a big die off. A huge travesty. Many bison are slaughtered every year when they leave the Park. Open a season and hunt them. And yeah, they should hunt bears too.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Concealed carry or open carry for protections fine. Hunting no. Parks are meant to be a safe haven for animals. There are plenty of lands where you can hunt legally.
    Pat
    National parks were not created as safe havens for animals. They were created because they have some unique features that were thought to have enough value tp preserve and most do. Making a safe haven for animals is a side issue. Wildlife preserves are for prtecting wildlife and many of then allow hunting as well as national forests. There is no reason in the world that NP can't be hunted. But this could be a topic for another thread.

    I personally could care less about CC. I think the parks should be open to guns period.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    but its the Government and so its baby steps.....
    Yup........

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Why not go all the way and allow hunting in the national parks?

    Cause maybe its not a national park...

    http://www.unesco.org/mabdb/br/brdir...SA+07&mode=all

    Might explain their whole anti-gun agenda too...

    hmmm.....

  19. #19

    Default Pat...

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Parks are meant to be a safe haven for animals. There are plenty of lands where you can hunt legally.
    Pat

    There are parks in Alaska where people can and do hunt legally...did you know that?


  20. #20

    Default

    The proposed rule change is flawed. It would only allow concealed carry as written.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •