Thread: Air Services

Default Air Services

Has anyone used Talon Air services located in Soldotna for a drop camp caribou hunt? Thinking of using them but don't have any first hand knowledge on the quality of their operation. Thanks

Yup, of course I used them a few time and it was 7-8 years ago. I cant say enough good things about them. I highly recommend them.

Default Talon Air

I have flown with the owner Alan Helfer for both hunting and fishing trips. My son in law who is a captain flying MD-11's for FEDEX came with. He really was impressed with Alan's flying skills. For safety he can't be beat.

Default drop camp location?

The service may be good, but as of last year, the mulchatna herd was not the herd to be after. I know multiple transporters who would not book caribou drop camps due to the lack of animals, and lack of quality bulls. Just something to think about.

There are still over 50,000 animals out there. Yes, well below the days in the 90s when there were 200,000 + animals but they are still there. I've hunted the herd for the last eight years and, God willing, I am again this year. A good air service (like the one I use) is a must with planning and discussions with people like the biologist.

I flew with them last year and would highly recommend the service. My daughter and I killed our bou - two meat bulls. We saw about 250 - 300 caribou during the week and had a great time. Remember they are just a transporter. Good luck