Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ 550 Pros & Cons

Default CZ 550 Pros & Cons

Thinking about buying a CZ 550 rifle action from Brownells or from one of the gun auction sites. From the description/specs they sound like a good solid action. Anyone have any experience with or opinions about the 550 action or with the factory rifles? Thanks

AMAZING ACTIONS!!!! I built a .375 H & H with a 24 " Shilen barrel and did all the bells and wistles on it. Amazing action, amazing gun. Here are a few pics, normally she wears a 1.5-6 Schmidt & Bender Zenith, however I have that scope getting my name engraved in it right now so we have the Burris on there. Also, I am taking her in to have a different recoil pad put on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Couple more pics...

This impressive cartridge is in a CZ550.

http://www.470mbogo.com/RobMbogo.html
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Forum Sponsor

What caliber are you thinking of building it in?
    I have a 30-06 size CZ 550 with original CZ rings I can let you have for $450.
    Steven Untiet
    Alaska Custom Firearms
    (907) 349-GUNS

Default 550 Safari

I have a CZ550 Safari in 375 HH and am very happy with it.

Pros - true controlled round feed, mauser action. High capacity (mine holds 5 + 1) for belted magnums. Great single set trigger.

Cons - They are heavy-ish, which bothers some people, but not me. Also the safari series only comes in a 25" bbl. I had Stan cut mine down to 20". Took almost a pound off the total weight.

Good luck.

Nate

Thumbs up CZ

Great rifles. The set trigger is awesome. Probably the best trigger out there, IMO. As with their handguns, CZ rifles are a benchmark for price:quality ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by suntiet View Post
    I am interested in the action, thanks. Will send you a pm. As for caliber I was thinking about a 338-06, always wanted to have one built. Do you know if the shroud can be changed out to a 3 position safety shroud?

I had a CZ-550 Mannlicher style stock in 30-06.

PROS: It was a fairly accurate rifle. The blueing was very good in appearence and the wood to metal finish was excellent. It was a super smooth controlled feed action. Scope rings mount up in a pretty soild manner.
    The safety is very positive and quite.

CONS: That particular model would have been better with a peep sight. The stock design, with a Bavarianm style drop, made it hard to get a good cheek weld while using a scope. The scope also ended up being mounted high due to the way the bolt came up.
    The stock finish on mine was too glossy and any little marks from being out in the woods showed up pretty fast.
    Blueing salts bleed out from the barrel threads for two years.
    The single set trigger on mine could not really be adjusted very well, so it went off just by breathing on the darn thing.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Chech out this website. The company is called American Hunting Rifles and they specialize in custom builds on 55O actions. They also do a 3 position safety.

http://www.hunting-rifles.com/Rifles/rifles.htm

Thanks for the link to the AHR website. Now that is the type of wing safety I was looking for. Also sent an email to the Gentry Shop, recall they used to have one listed on their website last winter too. AHR's CZ actions look great with the 3 position wing safety installed.

Quote Originally Posted by suntiet View Post
    That would sure put a guy that wants a .338/06 in play, only need to do a rebore/re-rifle that does not cost much at all.
    http://www.deltagunshop.com/Clearwater/CW_about.html

I would give Jim a call and ask about the cost to do the work.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the link to Delta Gun Shop, never really thought about reboring could be a viable option. Sounds like the prices are very reasonable. Also received word on one of my inquiries, one of the shop's stated that they are backlogged with work and it would take 3-4 months for a 3 position safety installation job. Need to do more research and compare some prices. Thanks

Default Cz 550

"Cons - They are heavy-ish, which bothers some people, but not me. Also the safari series only comes in a 25" bbl. I had Stan cut mine down to 20". Took almost a pound off the total weight."

NRC-How does it balance/feel now? I have contemplated chopping mine down a bit.

As for the original question... I like mine and beleive they are very well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Thanks for the link to Delta Gun Shop, never really thought about reboring could be a viable option. Sounds like the prices are very reasonable. Also received word on one of my inquiries, one of the shop's stated that they are backlogged with work and it would take 3-4 months for a 3 position safety installation job. Need to do more research and compare some prices. Thanks

Try this for a 3 position safety. http://www.edlapourgunsmithing.com/index.html
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Been checking online and looking at various catalogs for a CZ550 Med Magnum action, so far no luck. Most of the companies I checked on stock all the other action sizes except for the med-mag. Why is that? Seems there would be a good market for med-mag action here in the USA.

Update: I am buying the CZ550 standard long action from suntiet for my 338/06 winter rifle project. After doing some research and listening to some experienced opinions I decided to go with the Krieger rifle barrel. Also planning on having the bolt shroud replaced with a Gentry 3 position wing safety. As for the stock I haven't decided yet, kinda leaning toward the MPI Fiberglass stock in a Dakota Classic style. More details will follow as the projects gets underway. I am estimating that it will take 9 months to a year to complete. Well, it is only time.

Default Check these out...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=920923

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=996018

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=990324

I included the Remington 798 7mm mag barreled action because you get the 'mag' bolt face and magazine...chuck the barrel or sell it off to recoup some of that price. Heck, at that price I might have to have two or three sitting around!!!
    The Savage seems pricey to me. Check the rest of their listings,too for other size/bolt face combinations on the CZ, 798, and Savage.....

Thanks Darreld for the links to Midway, they sure have a bunch of great firearms stuff. Wish the Remington 798 was available in Stainless. I already have a nib Charles Daly med-mag action in the white which I bought last winter.

The only downside is that they aren't made in left hand.
    Now what ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast