Thread: What proposals would benefit Archers...

Default What proposals would benefit Archers...

What more proposals would benefit archers with the BOG? Personally, I'd like to see a bear hunt in or around Anchorage, as the numbers have either increased, or the incidents of bear contacts have increased...either way, something needs to be done, & yet, we can't shoot ourselves in the foot, like the '89 city moose hunt with bows...

Likewise, more Certified archery only moose hunts in and around the state would be beneficial as well, as there are plenty of moose in & around Mt. Village, Piamuit/Holy Cross, & the Innoko Wildlife Refuge...a week or two in the end of August or the beginning of Oct. would be nice, wouldn't it? (maybe not Oct. as the moose are more rut crazed, but the trophy potential would be there for those archerers who looks for antlers)

Archery only hunts, deer, goat, dalls, etc. etc....

I've thought about a later bow only season here in unit 15 (Kenai Penn). We currently have a bow only season that goes Aug 10-Aug 17. I would gladly give it up for one that went Sept 25-Oct 3 or something like that.
    The problem I see would be a greatly increased # of folks (from out of the area, ANC, etc.) hunting here during the rut. Not sure our current moose #s could handle it (we NEED to get rid of a BUNCH of brown bear IMHO). A possible solution would be to propose a unit 15 bow only season that went Sept 25- Oct 10 (ish), BUT people that chose to hunt it would have to make the choice to hunt the entire moose season (regardless of location) bow only. Have some type of special moose tag or a sticker to put on your tag (charge $5 extra for admin costs if they need to) prior to opening day of season. No special bow only tags or stickers would be available after Aug. 20. That would graetly cut down o the # of hunters in this late season. Might be able to a couple of others in the ANC & Fairbanks areas too.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I'd like to see the 14C archery sheep hunt moved from October to Aug 1-9th. Not likely, but while I'm dreaming...

Move Archery moose season after gun season.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Move Archery moose season after gun season.
    So Gary, do you agree with my idea that we would need to make it something where you need to choose your weapon for the whole season if you want to hunt late archery only?
    I just envision masses jumping on board to hunt the rut & I think having to choose your weapon for the entire season would cut down on that greatly.
    For the most part I don't like stuff that creates an "us vs. them" split, but I think it might be needed in this case.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Unit 13

Hey, I am new to this site. I am a member of Archery talk and just recently found this fourm so ignore the low post count

I think that there should be an Archery only GMU 13 Caribou hunt. I realize that 13 is a Tier II area, but how many people do you know that put in thier Tier II tags every year and are also IBEP Certified bow hunters?? Instead of giving out 3000 Tier II caribou tags, why not offer 100 of those for Bow and Arrow only?? Open it a week early to lets bow hunters have a fair chance to stalk game before the get all "gun" shy, and make it adheare to the same rules and regulations as the Tier II application process, just add a spot for a IBEP number. Just a thought, if you havent guessed, i didnt get one this year. I have been putting for them for 20 years and finally got one last year, only to have it stripped away during the re-draw because someone didnt like the income restrictions.

Move the archery moose season to Sept 25-Oct5 in the South Central Alaska areas. Get rid of the early Aug 10-17 hunt. I'm willing to choose a weapon to make it happen.

Create more Archery only "any sheep" draws/hunts around the state where populations allow. Extend several seasons either after general season is over or begins for bowhunting only.

A few examples would be...

Unit 26B Grizzly spring season - extend until June 15 or 30th
    Unit 26B Sheep Draw for any sheep
    Unit 20 moose seasons - allow archery from end of season till mid October or end of November
    Unit 1 - allow archery hunting of black bear in Juneau

ABA, you out there???

Moose season is 40 days long. Make the first 20 days archery and the last 20 gun. Or give archers Sept 25-Oct 5.

That Aug 10-17 season is a joke. (although I have taken two spike bulls then).

---

Here are some ideas.

Aug 10-19 Archery
    Aug 20-Sept 20 gun
    Sept 25-Oct 5 archery

or......................

Aug 20-30 youth only 17 and under (since the august dates are for kids going to school anyways)

Sept 1-20 general rifle

Sept25-Oct5 Archery

or.............................

If seasons need to be shortend

Sept 5-20 General gun
    sept25-Oct5 archery

--

I guess my whole point is that half the moose hunting in southcentral should go to archers. If the moose population is too big give out some any bull tags as well cow tags. I think an any bull tag would just be a treat since all there seems to be around here is forkies. All the sub-legals get whacked in the homesteader season and that is why there are nearly zero 50"+ bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I guess my whole point is that half the moose hunting in southcentral should go to archers.
    While that would be sweet, its not even close to realistic as the percentage of actual archers is VERY small when compared to gun hunters and to give 50% of the hunting time to archers would never fly. I would benefit from that as I would take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    While that would be sweet, its not even close to realistic as the percentage of actual archers is VERY small when compared to gun hunters and to give 50% of the hunting time to archers would never fly. I would benefit from that as I would take advantage of it.

I dont like to apply other states policies here but I will make an exception.

Montana has way more gun hunters than bowhunters just like here and the archery season is double the length of the gun season.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    So Gary, do you agree with my idea that we would need to make it something where you need to choose your weapon for the whole season if you want to hunt late archery only?
    I just envision masses jumping on board to hunt the rut & I think having to choose your weapon for the entire season would cut down on that greatly.
    For the most part I don't like stuff that creates an "us vs. them" split, but I think it might be needed in this case.
    I don't know if we need to go that far and limit one person to one weapon for the big game season.
    Archery season is warm and full of green leaves.
    With tree still having leaves it's not a good time for bow hunters.
    Warm temp. Meat spoilage. This limits on how far you can go out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Open the small game areas around Anchorage that are currently Falconry only to archery with blunts. With a permit if that will make the F&G guys happy.

Thumbs up

Really be nice to have a late archary hunt, but would like to see expandable broadheads for moose and blakc bears

Quote Originally Posted by Frznrdneck View Post
    but would like to see expandable broadheads for moose and blakc bears

Maybe in the in the way off future, but I don't see that happening here in the near future.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Do you mean Grizz???

Expandables are already available for blackies but not grizz, moose, wolves or goats...