Thread: Nome

Default Nome

Sorry if this is reduntant from my other thread, but thought a seperate thread and heading may catch some one's attention.

Can anyone tell me anything about fishing (good, bad or ugly) around Nome in early September?

Default Nome....

There will be good fishing for dollies in Nome River and other areas. If renting a car head out of town. The Nome River has easy access at many points in the lower 10 miles or so of the river. There should be some good silver fishing at this time as well. The silver fishing can be exceptional up there. The mouth of the Nome River (2 miles from town) is a great spot. By far the most popular spot. Look at it on google earth. You drive two miles or so south of town and there is the Nome River mouth. Everyone goes to the north side bank. But if you cross the bridge over the river, you can take the first dirt road to the right (toward the ocean) and access the south side of the river mouth. Less people there and that is where I would go. The sand is thick so only go there if you rent a truck. Some silvers are also caught in the Snake River. Just go to the airport and the Snake River runs along side the short road by the airport. Eggs is very popular. But spinner work too. I caught several on size #4 Blue Fox Vibrax spinners in flourescent pink. A pink and silver pixie in 5/8 to 7/8 ounce would be worth throwing as well. Buy them at the Alaska Commercial (AC). It is the grocery store and has a full selection of lures and basic fishing stuff to include rods/reels. Call the below number for additional insights. It is the only real sporting goods store in town. Email me with any questions. Happy to help if I can.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default The link...

Here is the link of the sporting goods store. Google to get the number.

Nome Outfitters Gun & Tackle
    120 W 1st St
    Nome, Alaska
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks for the great info. I will call the shop and see what they can add!

Nome it will be.

Talked with my friend in Virginia who will be traveling with me and we agreed that Nome sounds like the place to go.

We will be headed up the first or second week of September.

I appreciate the information and advice thus far. If anyone has anything else they can add, please do so! We are espicially interested in any leads to someone that could help us do some pike fishing.

Default Two options..

For big pike, you need a boat on the Kuzutrin. It is out the Kuguruak Rd (mispelled most likely). But you need a boat. Possibly the guy at the outdoors store in Nome could give a suggestion. Maybe someone would guide you. Also, south of Nome is a summer community of 20-30 homes, most seasonally used only, called Council. From there you could go south on the Fish/Niukluk River towards the village of White Mtn. The sloughs down there are said to have some legendary pike. Sorry I can't be more specific. Just passing on some places I wished I had went during my time in Nome. Unfortunately both would require a boat. But they are ideas you can purue nonetheless. As for my earlier post, it was the Sinuk River I was trying to think of that is on the Teller Rd heading north from Nome. Great grayling there. Only like 350 per linear river mile, but far larger than state average. Seems like I read that 30+ percent of the states record grayling come from this area. Troy Leatherman's book, "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska" is the book I read it in. A great book by the way. But all these thoughts aside, the mouth of the Nome River (2 miles from town) is where 80% of the locals fish. For good reason. It is convenient and productive. Shoot me a pm with any specific questions and I will be happy to help if I can.

Default Nome Fishing

I was just talking to a friend of mine who works for Fish and Game up there in Nome, she said that the silvers are already showing up in the rivers up there. She even said the based on early predictions that the run up there should be pretty strong. For the first week of September, you would be hard-pressed not to fish for the sea-run dollies. My friend almost has me convinced to come back up there! If you are fly-fisherman, I'm sure that egg patterns, or beads will work great for those massive dollies, or maybe even flesh flies. Good Luck!

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Dollies in Nome...

Purple egg sucking leech with pink or orange heads in size #2-4. Nome River, first 10 miles up from the ocean, where the road parallels the river. You can fish from bank or wade out as it is only 3 feet deep and 30 yards wide. Just past small community of Dexter (crossroads community) on the right side of the road are good places to stop.

For silvers, it will be tough to beat the mouth of the Nome River. 1/2 to 7/8 ounce pixies in silver/pink, silver/pink, or silver/pink, are good choices. I had luck with size #4-5 Blue Fox Vibrax spinners in florescent pink body with silver blade. Many will back bounce salmon eggs. All methods work. Fish the rising tide.

The real champ of the Seward Peninsula is the grayling. They are among the largest in the state with some 30% of the state records coming from this area. The Sinuk River north of Nome on the Teller Road is a good place to be. #6 bead head olive woolly bugger is my favorite. Fished in the middle water column.

Trip is all set.

Fly into Nome on the 6th, out the 12th

Anyone with current/up to date fishing and wildlife info, please post.

I have gotten losts of good information thus far....thanks all!

Hope you have a good time man. Be sure to call the outfitter store in Nome listed earlier in the thread. They can fill you in for sure. I would guess silvers should be fishing good when you are there. Be sure to spend some time at the mouth of the Nome River. Concentrate on high tides, especially those that coincide with dusk/dawn. Bottom bouncing eggs will be good and pixies and blue fox vibrax spinners (pink) should do well. Fat Freddies is a good place to eat breakfast in Nome. Also a great place to get a burger and such for lunch/dinner. The Polaris is a good watering hole in the evenings. Have fun and shoot me a pm when you get back. I would love to hear how your trip went. I miss my time in Nome. Very cool place and some great people there.

Thanks, Dan.

I plan on making Nome Outfitters the first stop. Find out what is best and stock up on appropriate gear.

Will post report when get back.