Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why hunt?

Default Why hunt?

I was looking for certain pictures of bears from Alaska and came across this sight. For some reason I read some posts and felt the need to ask in a completely unargumentative way, why hunt bears?

Different members here will have vastly different answers, but for me the reasons are twofold. First of all, black bears are excellent eating. A spring bear or a fall bear that has been eating berries is among the finest game meat available. For brown bears, it's an issue of ecological balance. If we take significant numbers of prey species (moose, caribou, etc.) for food, it is only prudent to also take some predators as well. Without some predator harvest we can find ourselves with an overpopulation of predators which can eventually lead to an imbalance in the predator-prey ratio. That being the case, since I hunt moose and caribou, I feel I should do my part once in a while to also take a predator.

Default well said

Very well said, Brian. I hunt spring black bears for several reasons, but the main motivator is the meat. I stock my freezer each year with spring blackie. The last bear I took also provided 4-5 gallons of rendered lard: replacing just olive oil with that translates to a savings of $200-300 this year, and unquantified health and flavor benefits. In addition to the black bear meat, harvesting black bear and thinning the population a little will increase my chances of finding legal moose to harvest.

Bear hunting, regardless of species, is a thrill like none other. I have never felt more excitement on stand than when a black bear comes in. I've also been able to put other people on bear, including my wife, and thats priceless.

Since I've been hunting bear, my question to any other hunter has become, "Why NOT hunt bear?"

You can eat bears for one.

Also it is the love for the bears that makes me admire and want to hunt them. It is the value that hunters have for bears that keeps bears from being neglected and possibly mismanaged if the general consensus would be to wipe them out.

Knowing the power that these animals possess and knowing that they can test or prove your mortality commands respect and your undivided attention while hunting bears. It does make me feel alive and alert when I am hunting bears.

I love hunting bears and I want bears to always have a place in our Alaska hunting. Which means I always want there to be bears.

Even though most of my bear hunts have been without a bear killed those hunts have always been some of the more exited hunts I have done. When I am hunting and I come across a huge bear track that is only a day or so old it always makes my heart beat faster knowing such a giant was in the same place I am standing.

I drew my Kodiak bear tag this year and I will be going bear hunting again.

I cant help but love bear hunting and love the bears that I hunt.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by xx88xx88 View Post
    .....why hunt bears?
    Why not hunt bears?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Why not hunt bears?
    Exactly,why not
    Man has hunted since day one

I was looking for certain pictures of bears from Alaska and came across this sight. For some reason I read some posts and felt the need to ask in a completely unargumentative way, why hunt bears?
    Better yet, why not hunt?

I have never seriously hunted bears until this year. I always bought a bear tag *just in case* I saw one. But this spring I actually went out and hunted them. Stalked up very close to one then backed out when I found it to be a sow with cubs. I saw another one on another day and it bounced down into some thick cover and I followed but never saw it again. It gets the blood pumping and adrenaline flowing.

I hunt them for the same reason I hunt anything else. I enjoy hunting for a dozen reasons and it is the natural order of things. I believe God gave us dominion over the animals and gave then to us for food and clothing. And if you don't belive in God, then man is still a preditor in the natural order of things.

I enjoy the hunt and the challange. I eat the meat. I like the hides. And the benefits which are many include managing populations of which there is an abundance in of healthy bears in NA.

Because they eat people, baby moose, baby caribou, and other baby bears and I feel I need to protect them.

Just kidding of course.
    Brian couldn't have said it any better IMO and that's pretty much online with why I hunt bears.

Talking well

Black bears taste good!

Killing a brown bears helps moose and caribou......

I guess if you look at it this way.......

because I like to eat!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

, why hunt bears?

Cuz if we dont kill them there wont be any moose or bou!

, why hunt bears?

It's for the children!

Because it's fun. Plus, hunting is in the DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Cuz if we dont kill them there wont be any moose or bou!
    That is flawed thinking. They have coexisited for thousands of years. The balance is thrown off by humans.

Brian M said it very well.

The other reasons are because
    1. you can
    2. others do it for status (wealthy, trophy hunters)
    3. the ability to prove you can conquer nature( subliminally)

Default Why hunt?

Why breathe?

Default why

Why ask that question!!! on this site.
    Because we can!!!!

Why not get a tag and come with me on my sheep hunt. You can help me pack a sheep out and I will help you get your first bear. Don't forget gear and food for 13 days. It will be fun and at the end you will have the answer to your question.

Default Sent you a PM

Sent you a PM

Oh oh, looks like someone wants to take you up on your offer! Everything others said, especially Brian. And the challenge of doing it right and please don't ask what right is, its different for each person.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    That is flawed thinking. They have coexisited for thousands of years. The balance is thrown off by humans.

Brian M said it very well.

The other reasons are because
    1. you can
    2. others do it for status (wealthy, trophy hunters)
    3. the ability to prove you can conquer nature( subliminally)
    Its not flawed thinking bud, its called sarcasm. I hunt em cuz I enjoy it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast