Thread: Porcupine Heard and predator Control

Big Lake Alaska

Smile Porcupine Heard and predator Control

Isn't this interesting. Predator control was responsible for the groth of the herd!!!

Declining Porcupine caribou herd could lead to hunting limits. The sobering news came at the International Gwich'in Gathering in Old Crow, Yukon, reports CBC News.

Recent computer models show that the herd continues to decline, down from a 2001 count of 120,000 to a possible low of 90,000.

Options include a total ban on hunting, taking more males than females, or limiting the hunt. Another option, predator control, came up because the herd grew when Alaska activated wolf bounties between 1950 and 1970.

1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469

I love the "comments" to such articles. They're a window to look upon the troubles we're in for.

How about the comments from "Urban Native":

Simple enough solution, and I never hear it mentioned anywhere in the meetings they have on the issue. This could be because I donít live up there to attend. The same solution I suggested for the other caribou herds in the NWT would work there.

Make using trucks for hunting and transporting illegal. The use of boats, skidooís are more than enough, and for the Vuntut Gwitchin, theyíre close enough they donít need anything else. Hunting has gotten too easy, with the Dempster and Winter road to the diamond mines. This leaves more for the real hunters out there and eliminates the windshield warriors. (I got that one from an elder) Transporting should also be banned without a permit, as I know people drive great distances to hunt the caribou from other jurisdictions, and other places in the NWT as well. We who live in Yellowknife can enjoy the cheap food prices of the south and leave the caribou as a source of food for the people up north who pay high prices and need it. Iím wondering if itís too expensive to buy gas to do that up there nowdays? Thereís no reason anyone in any community or region canít use their skidoos either so no one is banned from hunting.
    Reminds me of Moses in despair:

.....They quarreled, therefore, with Moses and said, "Give us water to drink." Moses replied, "Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you put the LORD to a test?" Here, then, in their thirst for water, the people grumbled against Moses, saying, "Why did you ever make us leave Egypt? Was it just to have us die here of thirst with our children and our livestock?" So Moses cried out to the LORD, "What shall I do with this people? A little more and they will stone me!"....

If man asks for many laws it is only because he is sure that his neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist, and thinks laws in his own case superfluous. ~ Will Durant