Thread: Kasilof opens to the highway

Default Kasilof opens to the highway

here is the latest EO for all of you heading down to Kasilof

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../nr.cfm?id=985

Good Luck!

dang, headed down this weekend...hope it works out sure could use the fish.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Sweet! So, you can dip the Kasilof all night long, then go up and dip the Kenai all day!

Funny that just a couple weeks ago they were talking about further restrictions on both commercial and dipnet fishing due to low returns...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Just the beginning

"It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings".

Let's hope the run continues on the Kenai.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Sweet! So, you can dip the Kasilof all night long, then go up and dip the Kenai all day!

Funny that just a couple weeks ago they were talking about further restrictions on both commercial and dipnet fishing due to low returns...
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default OOOWeee

Let go get some fish!!

Default Access to kasilof?

How much farther is the Kasilof? I've never dipped there. Is there a parking area near the newly expanded area, and is it all mud like the Kenai near the bridge?

Thanks for any info!

Bibico - The Kasilof is about 15 miles further than the Kenai. There is parking right near the bridge, and it is not mud.

Default Thank you!

Thanks, Brian. Maybe we'll hit that before the Kenai, but I always heard the fish were a bit smaller on the Kasilof run. Am I correct that the personal use limits are the same on both rivers, except you can't take a king on the Kasilof?

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    Thanks, Brian. Maybe we'll hit that before the Kenai, but I always heard the fish were a bit smaller on the Kasilof run. Am I correct that the personal use limits are the same on both rivers, except you can't take a king on the Kasilof?
    That is correct. You can not take a king from the Kasilof and the personal use limits are the same on both rivers (i.e. you can take 25 fish + your additional family member quota from both rivers combined, not 25 from each river).

The fish are smaller on the Kasilof. I only got 3 on July 4th and they were pushing Kenai River size, but the 32 I got this week were on the smaller side (4-6 lb range) with a few larger ones mixed in.

Default Rats!

This year I can only get 25 (a good trade...long story..).
    Friends said they got some very nice fish at the Kenai, and a co-worker who did subsistence a week or so ago said the fish were mixed sizes. I was hoping to see ones like the 2005 run where they looked like silvers, total hogs.

I'll take what I get and if I have to actually use a rod and reel later and get some silvers, so be it! Wow, just realized how spoiled that sounds....

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    I was hoping to see ones like the 2005 run where they looked like silvers, total hogs.
    We caught several yesterday that were absolute slabs. I also caught a few that were only 3-4 pounds at best, but quite a few that would have been large for a silver.