Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHY?

Default WHY?

While I am not against helping people with places/areas to hunt, why do people openly post information on specific places to hunt? I know this is a site to share with, but I have seen more damage done to hunting places because of the internet that it just blows me away. I can only assume that people are more than willing to share info in a place they may not hunt anymore. There are places that people hunt year after year and sharing this type of information just kills those places. In alot of the cases, there aren't great animal populations anyways and then with the "new" or extra hunting pressure, it goes to crap thereafter. Like I said before, I will help with the "basics" but will PM people if they want more specific information. I certainly am not going to give info about places that I specifically hunt as most of those places just simply can't handle anymore pressure than they already have.

I guess my issue is that most of the places that I have found to hunt, have been FOUND by me. I went out, scouted, and spent the time walking gazillions of miles to find the best places. We on the internet are making it way to easy for people to find places to hunt, which in return may ruin a place that others have hunted successfully for years. I am selfish, I guess I am. I just would like to see less "where to" and more "get out and explore" info. Sorry for the rant.

Well said!

I agree to a certain extent. I beleive this is more of an issue when giving info on general season hunts that are easy to access. If people read about someone's honey hole they used before they moved outta state or another portion of the state chances are they are going to be more and more people flocking to this area if they hear its so good.

Too few people take the time to go out and do scouting for themselves. I realize it takes a lot of time to do this especially when the hunting area can be a couple hundred miles from where you live, but thats what a lot of hunting is. Trial and error.

A draw permit situation is slighty different situation in that there is no guarantee that the same people will be able to hunt the same area year after year. Also the population numbers are managed already through the draw thus less risk of over hunting an area.

I do agree though if you want to help out someone on a general hunt and give very specific info the e-mail/PM method may be a better way to handle it with the understanding that who you are helping does not go bragging to every Tom, Dick, and Harry where they get their animals.

Don't get me wrong, I've learned a lot of great info from this site and I appreciate the info. However, I still makes me wonder who might be a little upset when such specific info is giving away for all to read on a certain area. Generally it doesn't bother me too much but I can see how it could bother some people and I can see where they are coming from when it does.

Default Sharing....to a point

I think most agree with you Mike, I for one generally follow the same guidelines. The few "honey holes" that I have "discovered" in general have been locations that have been completely devoid of evidence of prior hunters. This prob doesn't mean others have not been there, more like so few have been there that there is no evidence to be noticed and that they are most likely a "leave no trace" type of hunter/camper......yea, it is frustrating sometimes. It seems that there are some that will not believe the sign that says, "wet paint". They are the ones that touch the wall and say "is this paint wet?"!!!! Selfish...I don't think so. Most hunters would just as soon find the game on their own - that is a significant part of the challenge and satisfaction of hunting...otherwise it seems more like "shooting" to me. At least that's my feeling.

Default It depends on the hunt

I think openly sharing information on draw hunts is okay - especially ones that where access is limited/exclusive. Maybe I'm unselfish, but if I spend $$$K of dollars to do a hunt, and learn some lessons that if I could go back in time 5 days would have helped - why not pass them on?

Now for harvest hunts, especially on lands where access is easy, probably not the smartest move to openly share info unless you seek company.

Default I will only take a chosen few to any of my good spots.

Not that I don't like sharing but I feel the same way. Those of us that spend the time finding the honey holes sure hate to loose them. I have a spot like that where people drive by all day long and never get off their wheels to look. I heard the story of a guy here that had a place that he had found he could take a big bull every year. Had a hidden trail and everything. He made the mistake of taking his "buddy" in there. The next year his pal brought all his friends in and after that the trail was never a secret anymore. Man would that turn your guts or what. I don't think we would be sharing a tent ever again. He wasn't bitter about it but very disapointed. I would like to add to this that if someone shares a place like this with you PLEASE respect that and don't try to be the popular guy and bring all your other friends in there. It is just a resect thing. OK there is my rant!

Default I should be more specific

I was mostly referring to "open areas" and not draws. Alot of honey holes in open areas are just that and it is because most have worked their butts off to find them. The sad part about these areas is that if they got/get any more pressure than what they have, they get hunted out and then the hunting is crap for everyone. I have shared info on draw hunts and have gotten info on draw hunts. More specifically the DCUA sheep permit I drew. I was appreciative of the info and had an area picked out, but getting more info only helped me. I just shared some info with a couple of guys here on a draw hunt north of here. I didn't give specifics, but told them the honest truth of how hard the area is to hunt and some specifics of how demanding it could be.

Sheep is the most specific animal that comes to mind. The every increasing pressure and new draw areas makes the likelihood of over harvest an every increasing reality. I have busted my butt to find the areas I hunt and will continue to do so. Only those close to me will get to find out where I hunt and I am more than willing to help them harvest an animal. While I love to pull the trigger, being with someone when they harvest their first animal, no matter what it is, is an awesome feeling.

Sorry for the rant. I just hate seeing people's hard work get pissed into the wind when someone gives specific information about areas. Isn't "part" of hunting going through the hardships of finding and area? JMO

Good luck to all sheep hunting this fall. It is getting closer and closer! I will be taking a friend out to harvest his first sheep. I am excited for him! My other buddy is taking his wife along for her first sheep. Should be a rewarding trip to say the least. Here's to the weather being cooperative! Then of course I will hunt my DCUA permit when the late season opens up!

Default Me TOOO!!!

I am taking my son on his first sheep hunt in the late hunt DCUA also. I to can't wait to get him up there and see his expresion when we find some. Maybe I'll see you back there Northway. My honey holes are moose during the general hunt. With the antler restrictions I have a hard time sharing this spot as if one person would move in there it would be ruined. I share it with my neighbors and they are very generous people and have started bringing allot of their friends in there and I know exactly what will happen sooner or later. I'll have to find another one. Well good luck on your sheep and keep smiling cuz we are all going hunting soon!!!!

Didn't we already do this in the fishing forum?
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I can see being open about draw hunts and being more general about harvest hunts because of the pressure.

I get cranky though when there are no comments about general areas to hunt. That is when I think some are being selfish.

I do believe that is a hunters right though to not share.

I will accept that my crankyness is 100% jealousy even though sometimes I may genuinly get mad.

The reason for not sharing is because the hunting spots are something that is usually passed to family and especially children to pass on as well. It is truely a special gift and when treated as such the areas can remain quality areas for generations.

I share all of my fishing spots and info because the salmon are going to come no matter how many people are there but a couple weekends ago I got into a hotspot but did not share because just as quick as I thought of sharing with everyone I realized that it would quickly be overrun and noone would get the benefit of the information. Turned out to be a one weekend thing anyways.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default crazy

This makes me crazy too. Guys who hunted an open area with success and then move on to somewhere else seldom give much consideration to the guys who still hunt there. My biggest gripe about the net.

Completely agree with you Northway, nothiing makes me madder than guys openly posting places to hunt, with clear descriptions of trails, creeks, and valleys. Folks need to work for what they want, and if someone here wants to help someone do it in PM's not in open forum. Theres a belief that its okay to spew your old hunting spots in open forum because you no longer hunt there, not realizing there are guys that have also and still do. A little awreness is needed guys, theres lot of eyes viewing this forum.

Thumbs up Kinda

gives to the Secret Mountain, Hidden Lake mentality.

Although I do agree with some of your points, Alaska is a big big place. Why not share some information to help your fellow hunting brother/sister out?

Many are from the L48 and are some of our biggest supporters when it comes to political issues that affect us from the Environment Waco Terrorists.

Spread the wealth and smile, besides you build karma points that way.....

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Alaska is a big big place. Why not share some information to help your fellow hunting brother/sister out?

You may enjoy combat hunting...I dont!

Alaska is not as big as you'd think, with access being the most critical obstacle to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    You may enjoy combat hunting...I dont!

Alaska is not as big as you'd think, with access being the most critical obstacle to overcome.
    Well said AKCUB

Over the years I have learned the hard way to keep my mouth shut.

While in the field we were having great success finding moose in a given area and we stopped to talk to a couple of hunters camped some miles away, who were having no luck. I felt bad for them and told them that we were having good success in this area. Well the next day and for 5 days those couple of hunters and the rest of their crew (total 8) were all over us and even killed a bull headed for one of my hunters. The shot was so close to my guy that he hit the dirt so he would not be in the line of fire.

Next, I introduced a new hunter partner to my best deer spot and after he left the group he routinely hunted an area that would cut the deer off from me. I had a long talk with him, until he reluctantly (and I mean reluctantly) agreed to leave me to my spot.

I try and not be jaded but when this happens too many times you tend to be very carfull with your information and it is too bad since I know the majority of people will not abuse a situation, its the few that will that makes me reluctant to share information too easily.

Default Good point BearBob

I have no problem giving general area info with anyone. Had a couple newbies last year ride up on their wheelers while we were watching a meadow and ask where to hunt as it was their first time in the area. It is already very crowded as it is on the road system but I gave them some general pointers where to look but no way was I going to tell them where my "spot" is. Some clown a couple years agao came close to ruining it. Tried to get his wheeler down the creek and out in the meadows so he wouldn't have to walk. Luckily he got in the downed timber and turned around. I have made up my mind as soon as someone gets a wheeler trail through there I will be on it all day every day. Had another guy giving his yooung son some real good hunting pointers last year also. We were at the end of the trail watching the meadow we were on and he rode through us and right out into the woods. I was so upset that I was ready to pack it up and go home. I had a friend who was a first time hunter with me and he asked if it was always like that and comented on how rude he was. I told him most guys aren't like that. Oh yeah I forgot to mention his wife and son following him past us. She was visibly upsat at hima nd his kid could even tell it wasn't the right thing to do but Dad showed them how it was done. Don't make eye contact and ignore them as you ride right out in front of someone else. Be watching for his family in years to come!!!

I'll make all of you a deal: I won't share with any of you my best places to hunt and fish, if you don't worry about my public conversations with other people.

Strange thing to rant about

Default respect

In a perfect world, people would respect another's location or honey hole and stay out of it. But sadly, some hunters out of greed, jealousy or both will hog in on another hunter and not think twice about it. I can't begin to say how many times that has happened to me in the past. And people that know me know that I hate pressure and they are aware that I will always move on and find another spot. That is one of the reasons I really enjoy hunting in AK because in concessions and areas like ANWR you don't see anyone else. Don't misinterpret this, but when I am hunting, I really don't want to see any one else. I love the silence and solitude and like to kid myself into thinking that I am the only person in that particular area. The problem is all that space and privacy comes with a price---I am from out of state and have to hire guides to take me where I want to go.

What seems to be missing today is a sense of loyalty towards others. To have someone you trust rat out your honey hole is totally unacceptable and is almost an act of treason in my book. Perhaps that is why many hunters feel that when they find a spot that they have worked hard for, they are smart to keep it to themselves. However, one thing that I have found over years of hunting is most good spots and secret honeyholes never last. It seems that it is only a matter of time before someone sees you going in or out or they just dumb into it. Problem is when they go home they don't have enough good sense to keep their mouths closed.

I think that this forum is a great place to share info, but one should certainly use discretion when listing exact locations to hunt. That's my view on the matter.

Talking unselfishness!!!

I know a lot of wonderful, unselfish people that that have no problem at all with sharing hunting locations and information. Why I know this? Because it's MY hunting locations they are so generously sharing, while keeping their's a secret. But I have to say that one freind kept his favorite area a secret from me for years...until he finally ran out of hunting buddies to go with him, and then I was invited. Oh yeh...so was my hunting and pack horses. Hummmm.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast