Thread: Denali Highway Riding

mriguy

Default Denali Highway Riding

We would like to stop and ride some trails along the Denali Highway on the way to or from a Chitna/Klutina Rivers fishing trip. Any suggestions on any trails in the area?

Thanks

About halfway down the Denali Hwy there's a long bridge crossing the Susitna River. Either side of this bridge there is a heavy concentration of trails. If you can get ahold of that late 1980's offroad trails book (I forget the title), it gives good descriptions of them.

On the Cantwell side of the bridge, there's a gravel pit parking lot. There are trails up the mountain, as well as a long trail which skirts the south shore of the nearby lake, before heading south into the mountains. The area near the lake can get quite muddy, otherwise the trail is very easy.

On the Paxson side of the bridge, there are two possibilities.
    First, there's a road leading back to some old mines. As of last year, a culvert had washed out, creating a rather treacherous crossing, about a mile from the Denali Hwy jct. If you can make it across, this leads back to a bunch of trails and mining roads.
    Otherwise, at the top of the hill (about a mile from the Susitna bridge), there's a trail running north up into a valley. Start at a gravel pit parking area, and follow the mining road around the lake. This trail will go back approximately 8 miles, and take you to an area where you can usually see caribou herds.

mriguy

Default Thanks SR

From the sounds of things I may be better heading over to Eureka...???
    Are there any maps of the area available? Sounds like a great place to bring mamma and the rhino. Any suggestions?

There are about a half dozen or more designated atv/orv trails in the Tangle Lakes area- Swede Lake Trail, Land Mark Gap Lake Trails and a few others. I've been on a couple of them. Here is some info

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/fo/gdo/t...li_trails.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Denali Highway

I think the creek crossing that was washed out has been repaired. I believe it is Valdez creek. Not bad grayling fishing in there either. If you still decide to head out that way keep an eye out for the ahtna land. There are a ton of signs posting their land on the cantwell side of the susitna river bridge. I think they have less land on the paxson side. I havn't ridden out of the gravel pit on the Cantwell side of the bridge but I have heard that there is good riding back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I think the creek crossing that was washed out has been repaired. I believe it is Valdez creek. Not bad grayling fishing in there either. If you still decide to head out that way keep an eye out for the ahtna land. There are a ton of signs posting their land on the cantwell side of the susitna river bridge. I think they have less land on the paxson side. I havn't ridden out of the gravel pit on the Cantwell side of the bridge but I have heard that there is good riding back there.

I have ridden on the cantwell side many times, and will be there next week as well. The riding is not bad, and the fishing is pretty good too. I would'nt worry too much about the mud, I usually go thru it in 2wd (if there even is any mud) and I pull a 1000# trailer behind me. Wherever you go, enjoy!

Default butte creek ?

can anyone tell me how to access butte creek off the denali highway ?
    would be south of highway i guess... looking for grizzly last week of aug.
    thanks

I dont know if non residents can hunt grizzly w/o a guide. Check the regs.

homer, going with daughter and son -in-law . we went last year. we got lots of pictures ,no bears and had a great time.

Sounds good Gunner. Last year we saw a nice blonde bear, closer to the Cantwell end. It is awesome country. Good luck.

Butte Lake trail is on the south side of the Denali Highway at mile 40 from the Cantwell side.

Default thanks

appreciate the info doug. last year we were in the petersville area, we seen only one bear.the bear didn't present a good shot but got a look at one. daughter and son-in-law live a few hrs from the denali highway and seen and hear the bears are in good numbers the past few years. they mostly hunt black bear and things they can eat. as for me a life time dream is a grizzly.
    thanks again