Thread: Boat Performance Question

Default Boat Performance Question

What type of performance can I expect from a 20' Lund Alaskan and a 50 hp evinrude? Will it plane well? and do 25 mph or better? Thanks

Ron

Marginal at best. It's rated to 125 hp. Put a 115 on it and enjoy it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default My guess

Is it will do 22 with 250lbs, 17 with 500lbs, ect.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

I don't know how that hull compares to the 20' hewes we rented in Whittier a few years back, but with 3 people on board the 50 horse honda would push us 22 knots wot with a tail wind.

As a ball park number, a 115 at 2/3 throttle will burn about the same amount of fuel as a 50 run wot, and run you at the same speed. I'd be hardpressed to take a boat into the salt that had to run wot to hit 20-22 knots.

You also might want to consider the tohatsu 90 tldi if you plan to run with just a few people and light on the gear. I know a few folks using those engines and they are very fuel efficient on a 20' skiff.

The real question was to keep the 50 evinrude I have or ditch it for something else. It runs great. A new power plant will be a bit more to the bottom line. The big question does a lund plane at that speed? My smoker planes at 15 mph.

Ron

You could pick up a second 50 e-rude and be setup with twins. But you'd be suckig a fair bit more fuel then a modern 90-115.

I'm of the school that figures you can't have too much power, or too much fuel. Boats get heavier with age, you don't realize how much weight misc gear adds up, and engines get tired with age. Also over worked engines don't last as long, and burn quite a bit of fuel for lackluster performance.

I would put at least a 90 on the back and feel a whole lot more comfortable. Once you load up the boat with gear, extra people, ect, you will like having the bigger outboard on there. You can even control the boat better in bad weather with the bigger outboard. More power is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    You could pick up a second 50 e-rude and be setup with twins.
    I agree with Paul. Twin 50's would be a great setup for this boat. I bet you could pick up another evinrude 50 for cheap. A friend runs a similar set up (bayrunner) with twin F50's and it does very well. I have never heard any guy say "I have too much horse power." You don't always have to use it...yea right!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I agree with Paul. Twin 50's would be a great setup for this boat. I bet you could pick up another evinrude 50 for cheap. A friend runs a similar set up (bayrunner) with twin F50's and it does very well. I have never heard any guy say "I have too much horse power." You don't always have to use it...yea right!
    I have said many times "I have too much horsepower". However, that is in my 82 Toyota 4x4 with a 425 hp 383 stroker V-8 Chevy under the hood. Simply put - it is too much power, but as you pointed out, it is fun nonetheless.