Thread: jet outboard intake fins?

Default jet outboard intake fins?

hi again, an anybody tell me where i can buy some of those intake fins for an outboard jet motor?..did a search but cant find anything,,,i thought there was a tread here a few months ago! thanks larry

If you're in Fairbanks, Compeaus or The Boat Shop typically carries them. I've made my own before out of angle anuminum and some rod that I threaded the ends on.

Default Small O/Bs

It has been my experience that they are really only good for large outboards. When you install them, make sure to run a bead of silcone between the fin and the foot.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    hi again, an anybody tell me where i can buy some of those intake fins for an outboard jet motor?..did a search but cant find anything,,,i thought there was a tread here a few months ago! thanks larry
    You can make them out of 1/8" - 3/16" aluminum plate easily.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default weld em

I think the best way to go is to have them built and welded on.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

On my Yamaha 115/80 they were welded on, On my Johnson 140 they are a bolt on affair. What happens is you remove the pins that hold the grate/ bars in place and replace them with a bolt, which holds the fins in place.
    After going up the Salcja last weekend and flattening them out, I think the bolt on will be better as they can removed and straightened until they need replacement.
    any boat store that deals w/ jets should have them on the shelf or it would be easy enough to make your own, they need to have a bend in them, and w/o a brake that will be diffucult as they are about an 1/8" thick. A sheet metal shop can fab them up or at least make the bend in a an apropriate sized piece and you can finish them up from there.

thanks guys!!...another question if i may?..if i get them built, does anyone have "blueprint" etc that i could use as a guide?...this will go on my 40(60) hp 4 stroke merc "jet" outboard. finally got the side consel built--have home today!!!......steering install and then off i go!!...sweet!!...larry

BC,
    This is a link to a scource for fins, blueprint? sure someone has one. there is really not much to them, you could make a pattern out of a piece of sheetmetal, like stove pipe or even cardboard. the back is almost even with the back of the foot and the front is almost level when the foot is all the way down (forward).
    You will have to consider the slight outward bend. the hard part will be bending 1/8" aluminum if you don't have a big brake, I suppose you could cut them out, drill the holes and clamp them in a vise and beat on it till you get it where you want it, leave em long, bolt them on them mark where to cut, remove and cut on line. Then bolt in place and "VIOLA look ma I have fins"

http://www.rockproofboats.com/home.html

thanks Ak...i found after my first test run, i never had any cavitation problems, but if i do in the future, i will give these guys a call!...have the site on short cut in the "jet boat folder"..larry