Thread: Blueberries for Bears

Default Blueberries for Bears

When should you start hitting the blueberries for Bears ? I hope you don't think this is a really dunb question but I really dont know .

Thank's
    Robert

I would say around mid August is when you should start looking for berries but really, it depends on what partof the state your in.

elevation plays a roll in when they come out, i've shot bears in berries the first week of august below 3500 feet, but never above. I'll be looking in bearries starting last week of july.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Mark

I was in the Broad Pass area last year, right at treeline, during the first week of August. Specifically, I saw brown bear tracks in the trail on August 4th. The blueberries were prolific.

I was back for the end of moose season, specifically the third week of September. The blueberries were still prolific, and there were fresh bear tracks in the trail.

It has been a cool, moist year. I would think it has been a good year for blueberries.

Seems like everything is running late this year due to temps. I have taken Black bears on finger mountain off of the haul road as earl as mid july. But like everyone else has stated early AUG seems to be when it gets rolling.

Default late berries

Quote Originally Posted by 350SuperDuty View Post
    Seems like everything is running late this year due to temps. I have taken Black bears on finger mountain off of the haul road as earl as mid july. But like everyone else has stated early AUG seems to be when it gets rolling.
    A couple days ago I was hiking in an area I go to every year. On some years with warm weather I've found ripe berries in early to mid July there. The berries I saw this week were a long ways from ripening. I would expect things to be a little later than the usual this summer/fall.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Ive jumped a bear off berries in July before,and I shot a Grizz off berries Aug 25th one year over in Chicken.Daniel

Default Thank You

I just wanted to thank everyone that responded.You have been alot of help