Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broad heads that fly similar to field point?

Default broad heads that fly similar to field point?

I am taking my bow in to Archers Den tomorrow maybe to get her tuned up and what not. I shoot carbon express arrows with 100grn thunderheads. Compared to field points I loose a pin, 20 yard with field points becomes a 10yard with broad heads and so on. I think I remember hearing that the 2 bladed magnus and such fly pretty similar. What brands should I look at, do they have any you can test? Just thinking of upgrading is all. Might be a few days or weeks before I get the bow, will know more tomorrow. So I have a little bit of time to make up my mind.

You never can tell.

I use 75 grain Muzzys and add weight to the insert of my gold tips so the tips weight between 100 and 125 grains.

When I practice for hunting I practice with broadheads so I am not worried about if they fly like field points.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

There are quite a few good choices out there. I won't get into the whole mechanical vs. fixed blade debate. My preference is for cut-on-contact broadheads, but that's just my preference. Magnus makes a very good broadhead. SlickTricks are very good. Muzzys have been popular for a long time for a reason. If you're happy with the performance of your Thunderheads on game, you might very well stick with those after your bow is tuned. I have a few friends who have stuck with Thunderheads over the years, even as other "hot new" brands have came on the market. I did shoot NAP Spitfires for a couple years and they were impressive on deer (lower 48 hunting). But I wouldn't recommend them up here (not sure they're legal for some game....).

It would be a good idea to ask at Archer's Den and see if they have several brands you can test out. It can get spendy buying 5 or 6 different brands just to see what flies well with your set up.

Buddy of mine swears by shuttle-t's spendy broadhead but I've seen personally his flight with field tips and broadheads fly within 2" groups of each other at 50 yards...
    Drenalin' XT, Easton FMJ's, 125 shuttle t's

Consider this, G5 Strikers come with a set of practice points that aren't as sharp as the broadhead but have identical ballistics. They are pricey but maybe that will fill the bill of what your looking for. I personally use the G5 Tekan II's and the only thing that I can fault them for is that they aren't as sharp as I would like them to be right out of the box. If I were to use the G5 broadheads, I would probably sharpen them. Other than that, you would be hard pressed to find something bad being said about Muzzy. They are reasonably priced and they are tough.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Default My $.02

I would say that now a day's the majority of the broad head manufacturers are all turning out good products, so it "almost" doesn't matter what broad head you choose, as long as it supports the type of Hunting scenario(animal/regs/etc..) your hunting. Reason I say this is IMO as long as your bow is properly tuned, and your arrow's are of the quality and caliber your bow requires. You can make "almost" any broad head fly the same as your field tips provided they are of the same weight. I have done it many times. It will take a little tuning, and messing around, but that only causes you to become that much more familiar with your equipment like you should be. That alone allows you to make any repairs you may need done in the field. After all you most likely spent alot of money to get there, and chances are you wont be close to a pro shop! Good luck...................
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Default Depends on what your going to shoot...

what animal are you looking to take? If it's legal for mechanical, then go ahead & buy some NAP Spitfires...pretty darn accurate...if it's fixed bladed animals, then tune your arrows...ie. find the FOC, get the blades to match the vanes, spin test them, etc. etc....

Default 2 more cents

I think you need to test them but here's what I've seen in the past 12 months .

Shuttle Ts shoot very well, durable with locking blades and lethal,like a 3 blade Muzzy,

Rage 2 blades fly very well and come with a practice broadhead to confirm were your arrows will go. This broadhead is absolutely deadly on game. I killed a large black bear over bait with one in June. The blades open before it enters so there is a huge entrance hole. huge. 2 inches and while the boar staggered off, it blew a lung out that hole and the big bear was recovered in less than 75 yards, with a blood trail spray out his nose and also out the entrance side. Due to hitting the far front leg bone the arrow didn't exit. But it didn't need to. Better than spitfires as they take less energy to open and cut at the tip. Great Broadhead, did I say that already?

I wish I could hunt moose with the Rage as well, but we can't so I am shooting the Rocket 2 blade Ultimate Steel Broadhead. Short, and gread broadhead flight from a tough steel ferrel and thik replacable blades. The price is reasonable $30 for 6 and if you but 2 packages you have 6 to practice with and 6 to hunt with. This gets you more practice with the broadheads which most peopel don't do enough of.

Make sure the blades are brand new and scary sharp.

Default Moose and Caribou

is on the plate for now. Shot a moose with thunderheads 100grns back in 04. Did good, really good, complete pass through. Just want a broad head that flies more like the field point, aslo 100grns. I don't know how to tweek my bow, gonna take in to archers den tonight. We will see. Could use some new heads anyways. Have not checked out the regs but sounds mechanicals aren't legal for moose? I heard they legalized mechanicals but didn't know they limited animals. So will go with fixed blade. Thanks for the info guys. Any other suggestions?

Default legal for 'bou...

Mechanicals are legal for 'Bou, blackies, & other smaller, big game...

Getting them to fly like field points is as much in the bow tuning as it is in the broadhead. Your bow just needs a little tweaking to get those Thunderheads to hit with your field points. Archer's Den should be able to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Getting them to fly like field points is as much in the bow tuning as it is in the broadhead. Your bow just needs a little tweaking to get those Thunderheads to hit with your field points. Archer's Den should be able to help out.
    I agree.
    When i use to shoot Beemans and Thunderheads 125 they both shot the same.
    I have since switched to Goldentip and have not tuned them with the Thunderheads 125 but I am sure I can tune them up .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default broadheads

Slicktricks have a really big following for their field point accuracy, stength and kills. They have performed right with field points for several of us to 40 yards and beyond. We use the original style in both standard and magnum.

Default Muzzys

I shot muzzy's practice heads this weekend for the first time and they really fly nice. Dead nuts with my field tips out to 25 yards, then they shoot about 4" low at 30 and 6" low at 35 yards. But the arrow flight is terrific, no cork screwing or planing. I've always shot thunderheads, but I think the muzzy flies even better...my .02, btw... 125 grain muzzys on Easton FMJs.

RMiller, why do you shoot the light muzzys and add insert weight instead of shooting the 125 grains? Do you get better performance that way??

Shuttle-T's are within an inch of my run-of-the-mill practice points.
    Extremely sharp. My Yellow Jacket target wouldn't stop them so I switched back to practice points for now...

Good problem to have.

Taylor

Default just waiting for my bow to be done

then will see how the thunderheads tune up. Then will check into Slick Tricks and Shuttle T's, maybe magnus too. So who in town sells these brands? Have been shopping yet. I think Paul said he doesn't carry slick tricks, can't remember what all he had. He was expecting a shipment any day, 2 weeks ago. So hopefully I will be able to try out some before I buy, if I decide too. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    then will see how the thunderheads tune up. Then will check into Slick Tricks and Shuttle T's, maybe magnus too. So who in town sells these brands? Have been shopping yet. I think Paul said he doesn't carry slick tricks, can't remember what all he had. He was expecting a shipment any day, 2 weeks ago. So hopefully I will be able to try out some before I buy, if I decide too. Thanks again.
    Usually if a three blade broadhead doesn't fly like its equil field point its the bow and or arrow setup thats to blame. If its just the bow it need proper tuning. But there is a trend to shot too light of arrows with too little weight forward bias at too high of speed. In short it is a very cridical aerodymnamic set up thats not tolerent of wind, broadhead types, and a less than perfect release.

This flies in the face of present marketing trends and is not well accepted by most that have bought 100% into the lightest/fast setup possible. In short the best 3D setup it not the best hunting setup. I can change from a two/three/four blade heads with little to not change in arrows flight or point of impact.

I shoot a #65 pound compond bow with either beeman #340's or 2215 arrows with 125 broad heads the carbons are wieghted so both arrow types with broadheads wiegh 510grs. Velocity is just 220fps and it is good for 40 yards and will penitrate 100% on moose and elk. And is very quite with no hand shock, more of the bows energy gets tranferd to the arrow than with any lighter arrow.

I've never, ever had a broadhead fly exactly like a field point...and I've tried almost every broadhead on the market...not to mention that I've paper-tuned my bow to shoot perfect bullet holes. I still can't figure out what the heck is going on. My broadheads always fly and hit a bit lower..so I simply sight in for the difference.

God bless.

Fr. Joe
    HuntingForGod.com

Default On TV

they explained tuning your broad heads to your field points. Made sense one I heard and seen them do it, just never thought of it and nobody told me, even when I was a pro shop, paper tuned the bow, shot broad head then and field points. Broad heads always flew low. So not sure why he didn't offer to tune the arrows.

They said you move your arrow rest and or knocking point, they said it is better to move the rest. Very slight adjustments, 1/16" or less. You move your rest towards your field points. Once the two groups merge you are done. They said it is a hunting bow, not a 3-D target bow. Then move out further to double check other distances. I will still have Paul help me do all this, not a bow tech, just a bow hunter. I guess I will have to pay more attention and get more into bow hunting and understanding how it all works.

I am still thinking about getting new broad heads, just all depends on funds and how the old ones you do, will buy a new set of 6 for hunting and keep the old ones for practice tips if I decide to keep what I have.

Default Thunderheads

I went through about this same thing last year when shooting my broadhead(s). I shoot a 100 gr Thunderhead. It performed great until about the 40 yd mark. They seemed to "float" around a bit. I was going up to the haul road for Caribou and wanted a 50 - 60 yd comfort range. I just wasn't happy with the broadheads out of my bow after 40 yds. I tried the Ultimate Steel 3 blade and they flew great! Even out to 80 yds they were at my 100 gr field points... I have heard the Slick Tricks and Shuttle T's are good also but they were sold out when I went to the store. I would recommend Ultimate Steel, Shuttle T's, and SlicK Tricks in that order... See what works out of your bow, it makes a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast