Thread: valdez pinks

Default valdez pinks

just got back from my first trip to valdez in about 20 years! man what a riot, enjoyed the sun and 70 degree weather, light breeze and a pile of salmon at solomon gulch, watched the bears and sea lions tearin' up those poor little fish at night then i tore them up during the day, my three and four year old had a riot landing fish as fast as we could hook them, had a sea lion cross some land 20 yards from us one night, that was super cool.

was confused though, snaggin is legal in salt water there (if i'm correct) but no one was using snaggin' hooks, and you can't snag in fresh water but everyone was...also not suppose to fish within 300 feet of the weir but a bunch of people were...does no one care about regs in valdez or did i just read them all wrong?

thanks valdez for a great trip, really enjoyed it!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Right on BRWNBR

I'm headed down this weekend for the pink slay-fest. It's always so much fun and the bears/sea lions are big part of the experience. Was wondering where you were fishing at Allison...past the creek and before the campground? If it's like most years it won't even matter but I thought I'd ask just in case it does matter. I'm bringing a first-timer with me and I've told him stories of my 150 fish days there...think it'll live up to my hype or are we a bit early? Sounds like a lot of bear sightings this year. Were there any bears getting too cozy with fishermen? Just wondering if I should have the wives drop us off or if we should keep a vehicle for a safe haven just in case. Thanks in advance for any info!

EOMFD

we fished low tide in solomon gulch, between the 300 foot marker and the no trespassing sign the hatchery has up, theres about a 50 yard stretch that you can fish, least thats what the hatchery guy told me, the waters real murkey, maybe thats normal but we fished low low tide till we ran outa room in the river, russian river flies with no weight and half the hair trimmed off to help them sink worked the best for hooking them in the mouth, we started having contests, who could cast a pixie across the river and retrieve it without hooking a fish and who could catch and land one on the shortest about of line, 2 foot was as close as i got! great fun, we had two lines in the water and probably got around a 100 the first day, morning and evening and this morning we got at least 2 or 3 dozen, far better than the bank fisherman were doing, but at high tide they were nailing them pretty decent just west of solomon gulch, right by the 300 foot marker pole where you could start fishing.
    the bears were real lazy, so many people out to watch them you could stand still and the bear'd never see you. neither of the two i saw were over 8'...plenty of folks you can outrun too!!
    have a riot, but the river fishing was far better than the salt water fishing, even boats off shore weren't getting them that great, but they are flying outa the water all over...
    best of luck!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Talking Lol Brwnbr

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    we fished low tide in solomon gulch, between the 300 foot marker and the no trespassing sign the hatchery has up, theres about a 50 yard stretch that you can fish, least thats what the hatchery guy told me, the waters real murkey, maybe thats normal but we fished low low tide till we ran outa room in the river, russian river flies with no weight and half the hair trimmed off to help them sink worked the best for hooking them in the mouth, we started having contests, who could cast a pixie across the river and retrieve it without hooking a fish and who could catch and land one on the shortest about of line, 2 foot was as close as i got! great fun, we had two lines in the water and probably got around a 100 the first day, morning and evening and this morning we got at least 2 or 3 dozen, far better than the bank fisherman were doing, but at high tide they were nailing them pretty decent just west of solomon gulch, right by the 300 foot marker pole where you could start fishing.
    the bears were real lazy, so many people out to watch them you could stand still and the bear'd never see you. neither of the two i saw were over 8'...plenty of folks you can outrun too!!
    have a riot, but the river fishing was far better than the salt water fishing, even boats off shore weren't getting them that great, but they are flying outa the water all over...
    best of luck!!

Plenty of folks you can outrun. LMAO!! Either that or hand your stringer to the next guy and walk away..hehehe