Thread: best gear for reds

Default best gear for reds

Please share your favorite tactics both fly and spin for our sockeyed friends.

Default Swapped to flyrods...

because of the sensitivity & easy on the wrist over the long haul. Used conventional baitcasters for a few years but once I got my 8 wt, that was it! I use 20 lb. Berkely Big Game straight off the reel, split shot, coho flies. Keep it simple. Way less snags too than before. Heard of RipNdrag's sinkers, maybe look into those.
    Spinning rod terrible; no sensitivity and the balance is all wrong for flipping.
    Jim

I do like the reds on a fly rod also. When I was flipping though I liked a medium spinning rod with 17 pound trilene XL.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default 8wt

Minimum for the 2nd run kenai reds. rips sinkers are the best. Floating line and i use 25lb leader for the 2nd run hogs. I dont use baitcaster or spinning rods jsut my fly rod
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default rips sinkers

Question for those using rips sinkers, are you using a slide or just letting it run free on the line behind the swivel ( like using pencil lead) ?

Default my best red set up.

Here is my favorite set up after trying many types over the years. I am not claiming it is the best, but this has been very effective for me.

I use an 8 wt flyrod - I use a Sage but I think brand is not very imprtant as it is not being loaded by fly line and used in a very traditional way. For line, I use running line, also known as shooting line. It is thin diameter and there is really no reason with 10 foot casts to need weight forward lines. This line can also shoot very far out if needed. I attach 25 lb mono to the running line, then tie in a three way swivel. Off of the weight end I attach a small piece of surgical tubing and thread weight in that. That way, if I snag, I loose the weight from the surgical tubing sleeve, and not much more. I run 15 lb from the other swivel to my fly. It will break if I snag without loosing my whole set up. I use 4 - 5 feet to the fly. I run a smaller fly than most and always attach yarn or run a yarn type fly. The reason for the yarn is to try to keep the hook in the current just off the bottom, but not bouncing on the bottom.

I never weight the fly, even if it is legal, as that tends to make it bounce to the bottom and snag.

Ideally, I want the fly running about 10 inches off the bottom, right in the track of migrating fish.

I used to be the guy that couldn't figure out why other people were catching fish and I wasn't. Now I tend to be the guy sharing tips after hooking one fish after another.

Oh and one other thing. I almost never snag a fish in the flank or fin as I just let the line do all of the work. I don't rip or pull at the end of a cast as that tends to hit a fish in the fin or flank.

I hope this helps newcomers. Back in the 80's I fished for a week with my father and caught two fish. Maybe I can help someone avoid that type of trip.

Good luck all.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Question for those using rips sinkers, are you using a slide or just letting it run free on the line behind the swivel ( like using pencil lead) ?
    I am using it both ways and not having any problems with it either way. Just depends on how fast i want to reset is all
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Sliders

I Like Them Some Pepole Dont Its All What You Like With The Slider It Seems Way More Sensitive Good Luck

one more technique. I use flyrod with sinking line. Use short leader, no other weight. For faster water, such as the Kenai, I use a faster sink, eg, Tinys "Chuck and Duck" Works very well for me, very few foul hookups and even rarer bottom snags. Tight lines y'all.
    NRA Lifetime Member