Thread: Summit Creek Trail on Kenai?

Default Summit Creek Trail on Kenai?

Looks like I got a chance to venture back to Alaska again in a week. The 1.5 months since I left was just too long.

Anyways, Iím thinking of checking out the Summit creek trail which goes from the Hwy 1 to the resurrection creek trail south of Hope. We have 3 days.

• First, is there somewhere I can park off of Hwy 1 at the start of the trail?

• Iím going mainly just for a hike rather than hunting, but I do have an unused black bear tag Iím bringing just in case. I know itís probably not ideal black bear hunting grounds but what are the odds of seeing anything out there in the open (the trail is mostly above the tree line)

• Any other info Iíd be interested in?

There is a small parking lot for the Summit Creek trail. It's kind of hidden by trees, but basically it is the first driveway on your right past the end of Summit Lake. I've seen bears near the trailhead, but never up in the pass. It's entirely possible, though.

The bears usually aren't in the pass until the berries come out in a month or so. They're all "gone fishin'" for now. You'll have to hoof it, that's a long way for 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    There is a small parking lot for the Summit Creek trail. It's kind of hidden by trees, but basically it is the first driveway on your right past the end of Summit Lake. I've seen bears near the trailhead, but never up in the pass. It's entirely possible, though.
    The small loop on the west side at mile 44?

Thanks, I didn't think I'd see much for bears in the pass, but I might as well bring the tag along just in case. Out of curiosity, what is the nearest stream to summit creek that the salmon will run.

Another question that comes to mind is the snow. What elevation should we expect to see patches of snow in the shade and how high will we go before we find continuous deep snow.

We are thinking of taking a side trip up one of the mountains which tops out at 4900 feet. Should we bring snowshoes along? I think the highest part of the pass is 3500 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post
    The small loop on the west side at mile 44?
    I don't know the mile marker, but that sounds about right. (Yes, it's a loop.)

WIsam - There may be patches of snow in the pass. To get into continuous snow you'd have to climb. I wouldn't worry about snowshoes, though. You'll likely be able to find snow-free routes up the mountain, and the snow that is there will be condensed enough to walk on with little problem.