Thread: Kenai Report 7/16

Thumbs up Kenai Report 7/16

A friend and I showed up at 9:00am and dipped the north shore. By 10:00 we both had 20 fish in our coolers. We spent far more time untangling fish, clipping tails, and bleeding them than we did actually fishing. For a while it only took 10-15 seconds to get a fish when the net hit the water. After 10:00 it slowed a bit, but I was still plenty happy when I had 33 fish by 11:00 and decided it was enough for our needs. When I got done cleaning fish I was awfully tempted to go back in for the last 12 on my limit, but I somehow restrained myself despite the fact that people were still catching plenty of fish. There were a few 20-30 minute lulls, but overall it was an awesome day of dippin'!

Can you arrange for the same on Saturday?

Sounds like a great day out there. I don't think I can get out there till Tuesday though. Looking forward to it.

Can someone answer this question about commercial netting, they can net during the daytime Monday and Thursday, and then that is it? I've read some of the other posts but still a little confusing. Any help appreciated.

Default fish!!!!

The reds are here and strong....we got 34 fish in 1 and a half hours today. I did notice 2 boats with two 2-stroke motors on the river with dippers in them....guess there is not going to be a lot of enforcement either at the launch ramps - I saw one pull out at the Kenai City Dock - or on the water - never saw a ranger or F&G.

Anyway - great day on the water and lots and lots of fish - this weekend should be NUTZ so I'm glad I finished up mine - will be taking out the in and out laws this weekend so will probably see lots and lots of you there. Good luck and fill those coolers!!!!

Glad to hear it Brian. I am heading down tomorrow after work so I sure hope Friday and Saturday are the same. I can get 55, but am thinking right around where you got, maybe 35, should do the trick. I have a Kenai keeper this year too and so I am hoping to be able to string on multiple fish without walking back and forth. Last year's low tide was a pain walking fish after fish back and forth and having another fish hit the net in 30 seconds. Tiring stuff.

Thanks for the report.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Whew! Just got done vacuum packing 66 fillets with the help of my lovely wife. The sound of the foodsaver put the little one to sleep, so we made pretty quick work of it.

Good luck to you this weekend, jmg and others. Kenai reds can certainly show one day and be gone the next, but today sure seems like a sign of good things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Glad to hear it Brian. I am heading down tomorrow after work so I sure hope Friday and Saturday are the same. I can get 55, but am thinking right around where you got, maybe 35, should do the trick. I have a Kenai keeper this year too and so I am hoping to be able to string on multiple fish without walking back and forth. Last year's low tide was a pain walking fish after fish back and forth and having another fish hit the net in 30 seconds. Tiring stuff.

Thanks for the report.
    I rarely let my fish sit in the round more than 20 mins,that would be along time for me.Always bled within seconds,within 20 mins headed gutted,scraped,rinsed and in the cooler of ice water with a bit of salt added.Whethor its one fish or 6,but Im an ex hook and line commercial fisherman,the halibut I took home were on the deck for minimal time,always cleaned by me.Nearly all sport fisherman and most commercials are far more lax,especially net fisherman,just as was I growing up with sportfishing.
    Time means heat,heat means bacteria count and enzyme breakdown,heat can mean 40 degrees.I dont care what Im missing or potentialy missing,I'm very efficient,and in reality miss very little.
    To me its not about how many I caught in terms of performance,since its a brainless fishery,its about how well the product is going into my freezer.
    Anybody can pull out a run of the mill fillet or steak from the freezer.As far as packaging goes,I havent replaced my food saver since the pump wore out 2 or 3 yrs ago,and Im tired of buying/cleaning bags.I freeze them whole and glaze them 2x,just like the canneries do and have been doing for decades.I do use seran wrap and freezer paper,but still MUCH cheaper than bags.
    Im down to my last Kenai red from last year,there will be almost no freezer burn,and what is will be confined to the tail or belly slit or collar area(this will be collected and boiled down to dawg food anyways).Just like they always are,its not the gadgets that make your fish product good,
    .............its the process

ak4195

Default South side report, anyone?

We're thinking about driving the beach on the south side and dipping over there. Did anyone have any luck over on that side or see whether people were catching them over there?

We've sometimes dipped off the beach just up from the mouth, just to avoid crowds. Is it dumb doing that? Should we just go ahead and line up with the rest of humanity and dip inside the river?

Thanks for the updates, all of you above. Great news that you beat the crowds!

Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    Can someone answer this question about commercial netting, they can net during the daytime Monday and Thursday, and then that is it?
    http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...ect=1&dist=SOL
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    We're thinking about driving the beach on the south side and dipping over there. Did anyone have any luck over on that side or see whether people were catching them over there?

We've sometimes dipped off the beach just up from the mouth, just to avoid crowds. Is it dumb doing that? Should we just go ahead and line up with the rest of humanity and dip inside the river?

Thanks for the updates, all of you above. Great news that you beat the crowds!
    I've always dipped the south side, and in my experience, when the north side was hitting, the south was also hitting. Same for when it was slow, it happened on both sides. Maybe others have had other experiences, but that's been mine. It seems when the fish are coming in those kind of numbers, they are everywhere and there is no real secret spot or honey hole you have to get your net into.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.