Thread: Kasilof question

Default Kasilof question

Is the north or south side better for walking with the current dipping (as opposed to standing still and dipping).

Thank you.

J

I don't have any experience with the north side, but I walked with the current yesterday on the south side and had to walk at a pretty good pace to keep up with the current (at low tide). The south side is on a bit of an outside bend, so the current is likely a bit stronger on that side. That being said, I was pulling fish out pretty quickly even with the stronger current.

My wife chose to stand still in the stronger current while I walked and she did just about as well as I did. The water was moving strong enough that she basically stood beside the hoop holding it rather than at the handle end. The current was pushing the net downstream which I would have thought would greatly decrease the effeciency of the dipnet, but it didn't seem to matter. She was netting upstream moving fish pretty well.

Default Just stand there on the south side

Last year we dipped from the beach up from the mouth on the south side. Even when the tide was running hard we just stood there and the fish hit the nets hard enough it didn't matter if they were inside out. Sure, you lose one or two, but it's impossible to walk fast enough to keep the bag open when the tide runs fast. With big positive and negative tides next couple days, just stand there and let the fish slam you. If they're running like the 68,000 they claim they counted yesterday, you can use a landing net and get them! No need for long poles in a big run. This year is shaping up to be strange, maybe like 2006.

I fish from the north shore, but I generally hang a bit farther up the beach away from the crowds at the mouth. Where I fish, the current is really mellow and not much trouble at all.

Can you camp on the North Beach of the Kasilof? (with a tent)

Thanks