Thread: bullet & power recommendation 22-250

Default bullet & power recommendation 22-250

Savage model 10 Predator, 22" bbl, 1 in 12 twist.
    What weight of bullet should be best for that barrel as well as what powder to push it? I'm not getting the results I think I should with 55 gr. Nosler BTs or 55 gr. Hornady V-Max with either Varget or H380 so far. Might also be a copper fouling problem. I'm working on that now.

Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    What weight of bullet should be best for that barrel as well as what powder to push it? I'm not getting the results I think I should with 55 gr. Nosler BTs or 55 gr. Hornady V-Max with either Varget or H380 so far. Might also be a copper fouling problem. I'm working on that now.

4198, BLC II, H-322, WW748, 8208, AA 2015. If that isn't enough, I can think of more?

Try the bullets from 55 to 69 grains in your barrel, Bergers.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    All the early 22-250's Iowned shot their best with 4320, so that's kind of become my standard powder for the caliber. That's what I use in the two I own now (a Savage bolt and a Ruger #1, both with heavy barrels). Truth is however, I started with 4320 and it worked fine, so I didn't try anything else. Old habits are hard to break.

I use both for prairy dog shooting in the Southwest, challenging small targets taken out to 400 yards or so. Neither rifle is particularly choosy about bullets, so I tend to use whatever 55 grainer I found on sale in large quantities. I buy 2000-4000 at a time, resight both rifles if it's something different than the last batch, then go back to shooting sod poodles.

If you aren't getting the results you want, I'd certainly take care of any potential fouling problem. But after that it's a question of finding what powder and bullet the rifle likes best. I'd sure put 4320 on the list, but that's an old habit talking.

Arrow 22-250s

Over the years I've had real good luck with 4064 with both 50 and 55 grain bullets the noslers are usually as accurate as anyones match bullet have also has good luck with hornady and speer 55 grain bullets luck to you......Ronnie