Thread: Simply Rugged Holsters review

Thumbs up Simply Rugged Holsters review

I have been looking for a holster to carry my 4&5/8 41 mag Blackwawk when hiking & bowhunting. I wanted something that I could wear with or without a pack, & something not on the chest in the way of my binos & adding another layer of straps along with possibly getting in the way of the bowstring.
    I decided to try Simply Rugged's "Sourdough" pancake syle. Checked their "in stock" page, & it turned out he had one that had had extensive tooling done on it that was already to go & was marked down to $65. I asked Rob what he'd charge to add a 3rd belt loop for cross-draw & he said it would be no charge. I sent him a check from Kenai Friday & had the holster Tuesday!
    The quality & workmanship are top notch. The gun fit is perfect. There is no retention strap but due to good fit & design the gun is not going anywhere by accident, while it remains quick & easy to draw. The angle when worn cross-draw is great & seems to be out of the way of everything while being easily accessible. Because of the design & the location when being worn cross-draw I don't think it will interfere with the hip belt on my packs at all.
    I prefer a plain holster but took this one since it was ready to go & I always want everything "now", but I have to say the tooling is also very well done.
    All in all it looks like a holster that will last a lifetime & do it's job extremely well. And after looking at a lot of other holsters, I think these things are a steal at $55-$65.

Thanks for a great product & great service Rob.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

does he have a website?

Yep. Has a nice one.
    http://www.simplyrugged.com/
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Outstanding holster

Bought a holster from Rob last year for my 44 mag Redhawk and at first was not sure if it would stay in the holster while doing some hard hiking. I was wrong! Its a simple sourdough model and carry it almost every weekend while hiking and fishing in Cordova. Took a very short time for my Redhawk to form perfectly in it. For the money it costs it is well worth it. I also bought the Chesty Puller harness for it but use it very little as carrying cross draw works great. The 5 1/2" Redhawk is kinda heavy and it carrys well.

Default Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Bought a holster from Rob last year for my 44 mag Redhawk and at first was not sure if it would stay in the holster while doing some hard hiking. I was wrong! Its a simple sourdough model and carry it almost every weekend while hiking and fishing in Cordova. Took a very short time for my Redhawk to form perfectly in it. For the money it costs it is well worth it. I also bought the Chesty Puller harness for it but use it very little as carrying cross draw works great. The 5 1/2" Redhawk is kinda heavy and it carrys well.
    How do you like the Chesty Puller? Does it stay in place, and keep up the weight of the Redhawk? I have a 629 that I've thought about getting one for.

Default Chesty Puller

I like it but really have no need for it now, maybe when I am on a atv or snowmachine. It is easy to just through a belt on the holster and go. It does carry well in it but it is a big, heavy revolver and is kinda uncomfortable but a small price to pay for the security.

An update on my Sourdough Pancake holster.
    I've had a chance now to use it scouting for a couple days, & during the 1st few days of bow season & I love it!!!
    Retains the gun well yet leaves it instantly available, & it's been out of the way of everything.
    I've been wearinmg it cross-draw with a pack & it will either go under or over the hip belt depending on the pack. Either way it is as if it's not there.
    I can't recomend them highly enough.

Thanks again Rob!
    Vance in AK.

Good stuff those Simply Rugged Pancakes. I have two. They make my 3" 629 very comfortable and my little 442 practically forgettable but if you want that revolver out of there in a hurry you can have it.

How does the Sourdough Pancake guard the hammer? I have a Blackhawk and am a little concerned about the hammer getting cocked while rambling through the alders.

Not sure about the Ruger but with the Smith something would have to get down into the holster, hook the hammer and then pull back. Possible I guess but not too likely. You can order the Pancake with either a thumb break or a hammer loop if you want. Check his site to see pics.

Thanks for the reply.

I did go his web site and looked at the pictures, but it looked to me like the hammer would be exposed. But I guess it isn't if something has to go down into the holster. I may order one this week.

Your concern is certainly valid and I think if I were you I'd talk to him first about it. I bet if you asked for extra hammer coverage he'd do it. The retainage with my holster is so good that I really wouldn't want a strap or loop in the way.

After going back to his site and looking closer at more pictures, it looks like the pancake will indeed cover the hammer well. Still, I think I'll give him a call and talk with him a bit.

Thanks again for you advice and pointing to his holsters!

the hammer's covered, I don't want the hammer snagging either.
    Thanks all you great guys for the kind words & reports.
    Rob

Hey Rob,

Good to talk with you the other day. I already got the holster (thanks for the very quick shipping! ) and it looks like it will be a dandy in the field. I tried to intentionally cock the hammer with the gun in the holster strapped to my hip and couldn't do it. Well covered.

Thanks again for a great product and great service!

Bret, Aniak