Thread: September advice

Question September advice

A friend and I are palning an Alaska trip in early September. We would appreciate some help is planing where to spend the week.

We are mostly interested in fishing and hiking. To keep budgets in line with what our wives don't think is too out of line, guided lodges etc are not in the cards (perhaps one day of guided fishing).

I would appreciate any help you can give...advice on fishing could center on species expected to catch, ease or difficulty of fishing the area as a newbie and generally if we could expect good fishing or not.

Other hints related to weather, hiking etc will also be appreciated.

The areas we are thinking about at this point include:

1) Kodiak (stay in town, rent a car)

2) Nome (same)

3) other ideas??

That time of year, you should be able to catch the tail end of the silver run and get into some good rainbow fishing. I have absolutly no experience with the Nome area, and none with Kodiak specifically, but the whole southcentral portion of the state should have good fishing that time of year. You should also have some degree of solitude as most of the locals will be in the woods hunting.

If your budget allows one day of guided fishing, I would do that first thing and tell the guide you want to learn to do it yourself for the rest of the week. If you have any experience fishing rivers in the lower 48, you should not have too hard of a time transfering your skills after some instruction. I am sure you could figure it out on your own, but the guide would drastically speed things up.

Good, scenic areas to hike are not hard to find if you rent a car, I am sure someone will have some specific suggestions.

As far as weather, expect it to be cool and wet. You may get lucky and have nice weather, but definately plan for 40s and rain. (If you are in southcentral).

If you have any more specific questions, just ask.

Check your messages.

Thanks for the info thus far.

Kodiak is our more likely destination.

Anyone have info on fishing around Nome? Fact that is it hard to find could mean either not a lot of fishing, or it is a great place to fish without crowds.