Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rage broadheads

Default Rage broadheads

I'm thinking about buying a pack of rage broadheads. Wondering if you guys have any opinoins on them. I have not shot expandables before so any info would be great. It sure is hard to test broadheads because you never find out what is wrong with 'em until it's the real deal. Thanks guys.

Default Since

Since they can only be used on certain species, I find no need for mechanicals and switching back and forth.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

A buddy of mine went to Africa on a bowhunting safari and the PH told him the Rage broadheads are the best he has seen. The blades rip a huge exit wound. They recommend them for all antelope including Eland which are larger than any moose.

One of the antelope they shot was only hit through the near lung and exited through the paunch. The antelope was found the next day and finished off with a rifle. The PH said that if the antelope was hit in the same place with a RAGE head that it would have left a trail of entrails and would not have gone far.

In my opinion restricting the use of mechanicals is idiotic. It is as easy to find a cheap/no good fixed blade as it is to find a cheap/no good mechanical.

The best mechanicals are as good or better than the best fixed blades.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    In my opinion restricting the use of mechanicals is idiotic. It is as easy to find a cheap/no good fixed blade as it is to find a cheap/no good mechanical.

The best mechanicals are as good or better than the best fixed blades.
    Have you, personally, had any experience with mechanical vs. fixed blade on big game?

I used grim reapers on a MO deer hunt where I shot 3 whitetail. Shot all 3 whitetail within 20 yards (closest being 9 yards) and only had one pass through (shot too far back through a VERY small deer). Comparing that to a big bull caribou shot with thunderhead 100's, I, personally, would not feel comfortable shooting a moose, let alone somethign like a brownie, with an expandable where deep penetration is absolutely vital (no pun intended) to taking a large animal...

Rage expandables operate differently that grim reapers. The blades come out the back which is supposed to cause less resistance because of less wasted energy to open the blades.

I have not used them myself only heard the comment on the rage broadheads from my friend who went to Africa. I also worked with a guy who witnessed a grizzly shot with a spitfire that was a double lung pass through.

I use muzzy broadhead because I get three packs for the price of one on ebay. I still have a dozen of those 75 grain heads for my next bowhunt.

I have shot game with old satellite heads and other junk fixed blades.

Shot a deer with satellite and some 1 1/2" junk head.

Caribou with same 1 1/2" junk broadhead it did pass through though.

Moose with a cheapy Cabelas fixed blade that passed through and lost one blade. Moose died in about 10 seconds.

Moose, caribou and deer with various muzzy heads that all performed well on. My last caribou was shot through the scapula (I laugh every time I hear or say scapula). The 75 grain muzzy went through the thickest part (about 3/4" thick bone) of the shoulder blade and the point just broke the skin on the other side of the chest. The impact was a very loud "CRACK".

Yeah, I imagine the slip-cam design would be a bit better and yes, a 2+ inch cutting diameter on an expandable seems nice but I cant imagine them being 1/2 as tough. Heck, looks like you've even had great success with your muzzies!

I have a bunch of used ones if someone wants to give them a try. PM me an address, I'll send them up. Huge holes, sickening blood trails. I have shot through two shoulder blades on a whitetail, full pass through with big chunks of bone sticking out. Animals all died fast with 16" wide blood trails.

I know a bunch of people shooting the Rage 2 blade and they are getting pass throughs only on the closer shots. Honestly though, who cares if it passes through. The gaping entrance hole from a 2" cut is dramatic and they don't go very far. I am speaking of shooting whitetail with these as well, not larger species. How they would work on those, I don't know but if I am going after bear or moose I would probably choose a fixed blade. That's just my opinion though. I haven't shot the Rage as I shoot whitetail with the G5 Tekan II's and I absolutely swear by them. Unfortunately in AK those puppies are illegal on most game so DEFINITELY watch the game laws and adjust to be compliant. Muzzy makes an unbelievable broadhead that would be hard to beat...but I think you already know that!
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Those G5 Tekan II's look great. Another example of a quality mechanical.

Perhaps the regulation should include mechanicals with rearward deployment. I dont believe I have seen any cheapy heads with rearward deployment.

Thumbs up Holes....

This year my hunting partner and I hosted Jay Gregory and the Wild Outdoors television show for spring bear season...so naturally we used some of their products on the show during our hunt. I have NEVER been a fan of mechanicals or expandables....but uh...here are two pictures of entrance holes on bears this spring....dang....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default One more...

Here is another hole....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like the proof is in the pudding.

Default mechanicals

I have used several expandables on whitetails. I like the rage but if you bump them while in your stand they open very easy and if you don't happen to notice it being open prior to a shot it could be a big problem. I did get a whitetail this year with one and it did a great job. I have also shot them with Rockets and also Spitfires. Of the three I probably prefer Spitfires because of better penetration.
    Rockets were the worst for me. All three deer I shot with them never had pass throughs. Rage had biggest hole and Spitfires were all pass throughs. I am not a big fixed fan. But this is just my opinion and everyones is different. I have no experience on anything big like moose or bear though. Has anyone tried them on Moose??

Rages are considered a "barbed" point thus illegal to shoot moose with them in AK. Don't know about anyplace else though.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

I have a dozen or so deer with the rage. Great blood trails and huge exit holes. I shot a worthog in Africa last april with a rage and it worked great. Our PH said that's what he uses on most of his hunts.

Nice Warthog, thanks for sharing.

Simmons Sharks are also considered barbed and are some of the best fixed blades ever designed.

Quote Originally Posted by Backcuntry View Post
    Rages are considered a "barbed" point thus illegal to shoot moose with them in AK. Don't know about anyplace else though.
    If the reg states it cannot be barbed but expandables can be used on selected game???????? Can someone show me an example of a non-barbed expandable since numerous ones I have used on white tail were of the same design when the blades were fully deployed; ie:WASP, Grim reapers, Spitfire....

As far at the lethiality of a mechanical...I have used them for quite some time and I continually get pass throughs on whitetails.

Quote Originally Posted by Backcuntry View Post
    Backcuntry is right that the Rages fit the "barbed" definition and are therefore illegal up here. Frankly I think that "barbed" definition needs to be removed from the regs. It's an antiquated law that doesn't have any legitimate purpose this day in age. Anybody that has dealt with arrow wounds knows perfectly well that if an arrow doesn't pass through it's most likely because the arrow hit solid bone or a heavy muscle mass. It doesn't matter if it fits the "barbed" definition or not, it isn't getting pulled out by the animal should it survive, which is why that regulation is in place. Either the arrow will work it's way through, or the arrow shaft will break off.

A friend of mine shot a big bull elk in Montana that had no visible signs of injury a few years back. When he caped it out he found about 8" of arrow shaft and a broadhead encased in scar tissue between the bulls spine and windpipe. The arrow stuck in the heavy neck muscles and the shaft broke off.

IMO, which is based on quite a few experiences with arrow shot big-game animals, the "barbed" restriction really doesn't effectively protect the animals from unnecessary injury, but rather it leaves well intentioned hunters at risk of inadvertantly breaking the law. There's a lot of "barbed" broadheads for sale at any number of the sporting goods stores up here, because most of the sales staff and the customers don't know any better.

Jeff

Default Rocky Mtn Snypers

I was told (by a DFG Game guy) that a "Barbed Broadhead" was one in which the blades locked open at an angle greater than 90 degrees. The idea is to allow a lightly wounded animal to pull the arrow out, or perhaps let the arrow fall out.
    Rocky Mtn Snypers do not lock open, so they do not count as "barbed" in AK. They are great broadheads, I've killed several caribou with the 2 blade version-
    I don't know if the Rage versions "lock open" or not; unfortunately the Tekan broadheads do lock open, otherwise they would be a good alternative as well.
    2 blade Snypers also open to 1 3/8", compared to the 2" the 2 blade Rage Broadheads open to. I suspect 2" cut might get you less penetration??? I've had several pass throughs on caribou and deer with my Snypers.
    :}

We hunt elk and big mulies alot and my buddy tried the rage last year. Had a little problem with them opening as they came out of the quiver and had one get less than five inches penatration on a big mulie that we had to follow up on three hours later. Arrow just did not make it through the shoulder at 44 yds out of a 70lb bow. Why bother with expandables when Muzzy just plain KILL!? We are done with expandables not because they don't work but because they add a couple more variables that might go wrong and after all the work we put into getting that one shot.... not worth it. D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast