Thread: They're Here, Finally

Default They're Here, Finally

Escapement for July 15th

Kasilof = 19,000 for a total of 140,000
    Kenai = 25,000 for a total of 54,000

OTF index yesterday was 82

EO# 20 opens set gillnetting in the upper subdistrict from 12 noon today to 5pm today.

IMO:
    The regular opener tomorrow opens at 7am and closes at 7pm with a good possibility of another EO to extend fishing in the upper subdistrict.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Friday Window

The fishery management plans direct that the upper subdistrict set gillnet fishery will be closed for one continuous 36-hour period per week beginning between 7:00 pm Thursday and 7:00 am Friday.

This window is designed to pass fish into the Kenai and Kasilof rivers to provide for weekend PU and sport fishing oportunities.

Default Forgot about that part

Thanks Bfish; I forgot about the crucial bit of info... I was just excited to hear the escapement numbers on the hotline!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default No worries Robb

Time to go fish

Good numbers!

My mark on the Kenai has always been 30K but 25K is close enough!

What is the OTF index?

I bet the Kasilof was smokin with 19K

I just wish high tide was a little closer to the 6AM dip net opener (I think it's 4AM)

I personally think the commercial nets have zero impact on the morning tide the day they fish but I'm thinking they thin em out quite a bit by the evenint tide

any thoughts on that?

Here it is....

Kenai River
    Sockeye Salmon Run

Kasilof River
    Sockeye Salmon Run

Default closure timing?

So see if I have this right. If the mandatory 36 hr closure begins Thursday evening, Friday should be pretty good fishing. If closure starts Fri AM, best to wait to Friday night or Saturday. Do I have that right?

Save some for me. Vacation starts on Saturday and will head down on Sunday for a few days.

Just hope the commercial boys do not take all the fish during the week.

there's no sure bet

this 25K could be just a wave with a gap behind it

I think Friday the river mouth will have a fish deficit from the Thursday opening unless the bulk of the run in storming ashore in which case it won't matter

if you're playing the closure I'd want to wait til towards the end of the 36 hour closure as more fish will have gotten past the nets

of course that coincides with the weekend and thus the human swarms

I'm going to hit it 6AM Thursday at the mouth and hope 2 hours after high tide isn't too late

I always like the outgoing tide but STARTING 2 hours after high is a little later than I like

love to hear other outlooks

Default A little confused?

So when does the 36 hour end, Thursday or Friday?

I'll be down there Friday night thru Sunday, and I hope to God the fish are there.....

the 36 hour commercial closure can start anywhere from 7pm Thursday night to 7AM Friday morning

Default Okay, thanks

Great, Thank you for clearing that up....