Thread: 300 wsm ammo

Default 300 wsm ammo

What factory ammo do you guys recommend for the 300wsm to use on moose and elk? I have been thinking about going with the Federal barnes mrx 180 grain, Federal barnes triple shock 180 grain, or with either winchesters accubond or xp3 both 180 grain. Which one of these do you think would work best or if you have another let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 300 WSM. I will be handloading for it though. I think the MRX's are a great choice but real spendy. If I were buying factory ammo I would get the Fed 165 TXS as first choice and Fed 180 Accubond as second choice (cause I dont think the MRX are worth the extra $$$). Also, the 180 Accubonds have a great BC. JMO

Should also explain why I didn't list the TSX 180...It's a very long bullet and I beleive Barnes recommends at least a 1:11 twist. You might have some stability issues with it.

Default Trade....?

I too am trying to find out what shoots best through my .300 wsm rifle. If you would like to swap ammo, I have the following. Federal Nosler Partitions 180 gr., Federal Accubond 180 gr., Remington Scirrocco 180 gr. If you do buy a box of a different premium bullets like the TSX's and would like to swap maybe 5 for 5, please send me a pm. This would save us both from having to buy a different box of ammo and find out our rifles dont like that bullet. Steve

Any of those would work great I bet. I think I would go with the lowest priced of the three. Not to spend less but to buy more ammo.

Another way I practice is to buy cheap ammo along with the premium. Just shoot for groups with the cheap stuff and sight in with the premium stuff.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

All are premium bullets and should perform well on your intended target.
    Thet said, my Kimber Montana loves the winchester 180 Accubonds. One jagged hole at a hundred yards and able to hit a milk jug at 330 every time. I have also shot the XP3's $$, and they have almost identical point of impact out to 200 yards as the accubonds. I will use the XP3s on my moose hunt this year.

I sighted in a friend's Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. The Winchester 180 gr Power Points would only stay into 2"-3" and chronographed at 2950 fps. Next I tried the Federal 180 gr. Barnes XXX. Three 5 shot groups stayed inside of 1" and the last 5 were a true .5" group. In addition the average vel 15' from the muzzle for 20 shots was 3085.5 fps. Even tho I handload I bought a box to try in my Kimber....and recommended he buy a 1/2 doz of the same with the same lot # since he doesn't handload.

My Rem 700 shoots anything except 180 grain partitions into a roughly 1 inch group.

It'll shoot E-tips and XP-3's into a 3/4 group if I do my job.

It hates partitions, looking at roughly 2 to 3 inches with partitions.