Thread: Request for help

Default Request for help

I was done at the south shore of the Kenai River this past weekend out in the marsh area counting birds and documenting the nesting colony of Arctic terns and Gulls. I have a serious request. The chicks of Arctic terns are right near the fence put up by the City and the terns are going crazy if someone approaches them. I would request people that use this area if they see anyone near the fence they ask them to move back. The chicks are running off the nest and that is a major problem for them. One got under the fence and was out exposed on the bare ground.

Second, there were a number of dogs out running in the marsh chasing and killing gull chicks. There was no owner near and when I chased them they ran toward the PU fishery camp. If you see dogs running free please ask the owners to put them on a long rope if they are not going to be with them on the beach. I am not concerned about walking along the beach free but they should not be out in the marsh.

This is a serious issue. There are a number of migratory birds that nest out there and if this continues it could threaten the whole fishery. I would hope people will self police and let others know how important it is to keep the animals and people out of the marsh area during this critical time.

Thank you for helping.

Default Happy to lend a hand.

No problem, thanks for the info: I'll gladly enforce the civilian side of not harassing the birds and harassing the wildlife (the dipper's).
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32