Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle brand choice

Default Rifle brand choice

A buddy of mine who is looking for a new all around rifle for AK is seeking some advice. He wants to purchase a new .338 Win Mag and is looking for some sound advice on which brand to purchase. He wants to keep the price down to a dull roar so nothing too expensive. I believe he's looking at your typical Remington 700, Win, Ruger, Savage etc. Stainless/Synthetic.
    He would be greatful if you all can share why you purchased the rifle you did. The info will help him make his purchase and get ready for moose season.

Thanks in advance.
    Brian

If it were my money I would pick up a Ruger SS. Should run about $600 and no scope mounts are needed and the rings come with the rifle.
    It is a CRF action, reasonably good trigger and will shoot minute of moose easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    If it were my money I would pick up a Ruger SS. Should run about $600 and no scope mounts are needed and the rings come with the rifle.
    It is a CRF action, reasonably good trigger and will shoot minute of moose easily.
    Sounds like a good choice to me.

I bought my Ruger .300wm SS for reasons above. It handles the crappiest weather with ease, and shoots well enough to take down a moose each year that I've owned it.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Personnally, I never stray too far away from Remington M700's.

I like Winchester Mod 70's.

I used to shoot Rugers and think they are just fine.

My uncle is a riflemaker and he uses Winchester mod 70's so I think that is mostly why I choose them too.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Thumbs up Win 70 or Ruger Hawkeye

The old or New Win 70 with control round Feed (CRF) in stainless.

The new Ruger Hawkeye in 375 Ruger Alaskan SS or the new 338 Ruger
    Alaska

Default Rifle

Try one of the new Ruger Hawkeye stainless rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by 12bhntn View Post
    Try one of the new Ruger Hawkeye stainless rifles.
    I 7th that. (see a trend here?)

~$850 go for Browning A bolt stainless stalker or Sako A7. under ~$600 go for a Tikka T3.

Default not going to 8th the trend...

I recently had a bad experience with a Ruger, so I won't recommend them. If your friend is really looking to save money, a Savage or Weatherby Vanguard are even less expensive than the Ruger. Both come in stainless/synthetic also. Savage rifles have a reputation for accuracy too. You won't necessarily need that much accuracy for moose, but it builds confidence.

Another note: if recoil of a .338 is a problem at all, the Browning A-bolt in stainless/synthetic is available with the BOSS muzzle brake. Just wear earplugs when you hunt with him...

A new Winchester Model 70 would be my choice, but it appears to be out of your buddy's budget, so I'd get a stainless Ruger Hawkeye.

I agree the Rugers are hard to beat , cept I'll pass on the Hawkeye stainless finish, every single one I have handled in stores shows that the new dull stainless finish literally rubs off.It looks like crap. I would just go with the Mark II's, they'll both need the trigger worked anyway.

Savage with accu trigger, Rem 700, Tikka, or Win 70 are all great choices.

If I were buying a .338, and looking to keep the cost down, I'd look for a used one. My preferences are Winchester and Ruger, but nothing wrong with a Savage, Remington, or any of the others--just personal preference. I've heard some of the older Browning stainless barrels tended to split, but none of the folks I know who shoot them seem to have had any problems. I'd browse Pawn shops and classifieds. Just make sure you inspect it carefully before buying.

Default Well shoot...........

I would look for a good used controlled round feed Mod. 70. If that is not an option I would then look for a used Sako or the new Ruger Hawkeye.

Default Ruger

I got my Ruger M77 MKII 338 win mag for 500 bucks with a Leupold VXII 3-9x40. Not a bad deal at all.

I like the Rugers in 338.

Most new rifle shoot well enough to kill. Buy something you like looking at to. I know some will disagree. I own Winchesters, Rugers and a new Remington 700 xcr, but nothing to ugly.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    I got my Ruger M77 MKII 338 win mag for 500 bucks with a Leupold VXII 3-9x40. Not a bad deal at all.

I like the Rugers in 338.
    I wonder how many people on here have the exact same setup. I know of atleast one more.

I personally would not get too close to a Remington M700 or a Savage (same thing right?) so I'll say a Ruger, no boat paddle stocks, but a Ruger M77.
    Last edited by Murphy; 07-17-2008 at 10:07. Reason: Too many big words.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast