Thread: DWR

Default DWR

I was just curious if anyone has tried applying one of the DWR (Durable Water Repellent) treatments to any gear that didn't originally come with it? I also found a link with some good DWR care information for those that are interested. I know that Nix Wax has a bunch of different products for water proofing various fabrics But I would rather not waste any $$ on products that don't work.

I sprayed some on my MTO50 jacket and River's West stuff (I am very disappointed with the RW stuff--don't waste your money. PM me and I'll tell you why if you are interested) but only wore it for a few hours in the rain this spring on a turkey hunt. Certainly not enough of a trial. It does seem to make water bead but I am not sure how it would hold up in the back country after daily soakings. Personally I don't trust Gore-tex garments on sheep, goat or moose hunts due to the fact that after repeated soakings they will leak. I am sure that there will be lots of guys disagreeing with me but that's been my experience. I actually started to use some of the DWR stuff on my fleece clothing (shirts/pants/hats) to help them shed water and dry quicker. On the positive, there have been a lot of good things said about the repellent, but as always talk is cheap. Sorry I can't be of more help. I will be able to tell you more after this season though. Good luck.

Thumbs down DWS...

6.5-284~ we've spoken about RW They're sponges, even when treated with NIXWAX! I am working with a few companies to design a clothing line up with the sheep hunter in mind. I cannot find what I want. I will settle for HH Impertech with fleece liners. Cheaper, functions and field tested good. DWR is a finnish applied. It repels mists, but when it rains, you will get wet. Older garments with DWR; I tried to revive with NIXWAX, did not work. Marmot Precip jacket still keeps me dry, but the outer nylon shell gets soaked, when soaked, water finds a way in. I tried to NIXWAX that too, so far, it is keeping water at bay. Sheep hunting/hiking is not the place to "test" your gear. It needs to work, your very life may be at stake! My 2 cents...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

RW is certainly not the answer for rain gear. I agree that HH Impertech is the way to go. That's what I wear when I know it's going to be wet and I want to stay dry. I tried several times years ago to buy Peter Storm but couldn't find it. Several sourdoughs told me that stuff was primo.

I spray the repellent on the fleece articles to help keep the water from adhering to the fabric, thus letting it dry quicker after a couple of good shakes. It seems to help...

Good luck with your clothing deal. I hope you are successful.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5-284 View Post
    RW is certainly not the answer for rain gear. I agree that HH Impertech is the way to go. That's what I wear when I know it's going to be wet and I want to stay dry. I tried several times years ago to buy Peter Storm but couldn't find it. Several sourdoughs told me that stuff was primo.

I spray the repellent on the fleece articles to help keep the water from adhering to the fabric, thus letting it dry quicker after a couple of good shakes. It seems to help...

Good luck with your clothing deal. I hope you are successful.
    There is a Peter Storm store on ebay, you might check there for what you're looking for.